Notifications are not loud enough..

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That may be the issue and the reason why some folks are not complaining about the volume. Maybe phones purchased after that update were not affected? Just a guess. At least Moto has acknowledged a fix in the works and an update sometime soon.

As you have seen, let the Moto bashing commence on their forum.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I got my phone before the September update( maybe a week or two before) and I'm glad I'm not having that problem. Maybe it only kicks in if you have your settings a certain way.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I got my phone before the September update( maybe a week or two before) and I'm glad I'm not having that problem. Maybe it only kicks in if you have your settings a certain way.

When someone calls you, is the first ring at normal volume? Or is the first ring low, then gets louder with each subsequent ring?

Edit:. Based on all the posts on the Moto forum it's not a Settings issue, it's an actual software bug.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6

I got my phone before the Sept. update, or security patch, or whatever they call it, and the sounds for email, text msgs, and phone calls start off extremely low(even when the sound settings are maxed out). The sound for incoming phone calls does increase, by about the fourth or fifth ring. If i'm near the phone, i can catch it, otherwise i get voicemail. Since i only get one ring for email and texts, that's where the real problem lies. This phone doesn't have a blinking led light, so unless i'm right next to the phone, or it's in my pocket, i miss the msg. I've been missing a lot of msgs from my children and other relatives. Especially at this time of year, this problem is intolerable. As far as i know, the only large cellphones with an led are my Nexus 6P, and the Samsung S7 Edge. I guess that i'll just keep my N6P, and dump the Moto when my contract is up(unless i can get a good buyout from TMo):(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
@grunt0300 are you using Moto Active Display? I understand the message tone not being loud, that is frustrating for sure. Do you not see the new notifications pulse on your active display screen? That might help to not miss new messages.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm using Moto Active Display, but i can't always keep the phone within arms length. Very frustrating.:mad:
Good point. I'm so used to having an Android watch and always seeing new notifications there, I forget to even look at my phone most of the time.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try downloading the app Disable Increasing Ring and set it up. It works perfectly for me. Notification sound is nice and loud. If you do install it, you have to make sure to get into the menu and select "grant permissions" for it to work. It does stop running occasionally and you might have to restart it, but it really helps.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@Sajo. When someone calls, it starts out low and gets louder. I like it that way, though, but I'm not sure if I could change it if I didn't like it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
@Sajo. When someone calls, it starts out low and gets louder. I like it that way, though, but I'm not sure if I could change it if I didn't like it.

That's part of this issue. Although some folks like it that way, the majority do not. And it's not the way it's supposed to be. My call ringtones are the same and I wish it was normal volume each and every ring. My mail, text, all other notification sounds are loud each time. But it sounds like that is not the case for everyone. At least Moto is working on a fix.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's part of this issue. Although some folks like it that way, the majority do not. And it's not the way it's supposed to be. My call ringtones are the same and I wish it was normal volume each and every ring. My mail, text, all other notification sounds are loud each time. But it sounds like that is not the case for everyone. At least Moto is working on a fix.

Thanks, let us know how to apply the fix when Moto makes it available. Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks, let us know how to apply the fix when Moto makes it available. Thanks!

I would imagine it will be an update you will download and install like other system updates.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK. I hope this update happens soon. I'm going to try the app that jkaod recommends, and we'll see what happens.:p

UPDATE: The app Disable Increasing Ring did work....for about three hours. It crashed, and i was getting no sounds at all. Once i deleted it, the sounds came back, but with the same problems.:(

Last edited:

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't know if anyone else got the Moto survey this morning, but i did. Bad mistake Moto. My sounds for the texts & emails, are not working at all, and the phone's ringtone comes in very low after three or four rings. I missed many emails & two phone calls already. Anyway, now Moto knows how i feel about this situation. Sorry, but i let my Irish temper get the better of me.:p

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know if anyone else got the Moto survey this morning, but i did. Bad mistake Moto. My sounds for the texts & emails, are not working at all, and the phone's ringtone comes in very low after three or four rings. I missed many emails & two phone calls already. Anyway, now Moto knows how i feel about this situation. Sorry, but i let my Irish temper get the better of me.:p
Survey, or an actual update?

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of liking the ringtone volume ramp up. I usually keep the ringer volume maxed so I can phone ring from other parts of the house. But when I'm sitting right next it, I don't jump out my skin on the first ring.