Note 2 Already unlocked and ready for GSM SIM?

DroidMoose

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon and did a quick search here for this answer (apologies if I missed the answer in my search)

I called Verizon global to get the unlock code for the Note 2 so I can use this phone in other countries that use GSM. I would buy a local GSM SIM card to not pay the huge Verizon rates. After I asked they put me on hold for a minute and came back and stated that the phone was already unlocked and did not need to to anything else.

Before I called I placed a GSM SIM card in the phone to see if it would prompt me for an unlock code.(when I unlocked my Droid 3 it did) No prompt only a message that stated no GSM networks found or something to that effect.

So before I go away and find myself far away in a foreign country with a phone that does not work on that countries local SIM cards...I thought I would ask if I need to do anything else to unlock? Or am I already all set to place a gsm SIM card in the phone and business as usual?

Thanks in advance!
DM

OP
D

DroidMoose

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you! Glad I asked rather than find out the hard way later.

Thanks again!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, the Verizon Note 2 is already 100% SIM unlocked right out of the box. All of Verizon's LTE phones are completely SIM unlocked, and all of them that have GSM capabilities are SIM unlocked for GSM use as well. They're unlocked for both voice and data.

But as that thread bkdodger linked to noted, with the Note 2, Verizon didn't include a way to add APN data into the phone. The essentially prevents anyone from being able to use data with a foreign SIM card (although voice and text will work just fine). But with root, adding APN data is pretty easy. So, if you're only looking to use voice and text with a foreign SIM, just put the SIM in, reboot the phone, and you'll be good to go. But if you want data as well, you'll need to root and then add the APN information for the foreign network you're using.

OP
D

DroidMoose

Reaction score
It appears that they now have the new "jailbreak" for after the OTA update for the Note2 on XDA.

Happy about that as I need to unlock the APN. If not for the APN lock I would not bother changing the phone.

I will give it a shot after I read more.