Global capability?

beefchopper

Reaction score
Has anyone read anywhere whether or not the Note 2 will be unlocked to allow the user to put in a foreign sim card for usage out of the US like the Razr's can? This looks like a terrific phone but I spend enough time out of the country that it doesn't make sense for me to buy any phone without that feature. Thanks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I haven't read the info anywhere... but I assume it will be global like the RAZR... but idk for sure.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
bands 7 and 20

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
it comes unlocked from the factory for it off country sims or at least that is what Verizon will tell you should you call them.

Caesars

Reaction score
Gsm unlocked? I thought that the Verizon GN2 was cdma/lte only.... I need to read up on my own phone lol.

Return of the Android

jseah

Reaction score
Gsm unlocked? I thought that the Verizon GN2 was cdma/lte only.... I need to read up on my own phone lol.

Return of the Android

Nope, it is a "world phone". If you go into Settings>More Settings>Mobile Networks>Network mode, it gives you the option to set the preferred network mode to

1. Global
2. LTE/CDMA
3. GSM/UMTS

OP
B

beefchopper

Reaction score
Nope, it is a "world phone". If you go into Settings>More Settings>Mobile Networks>Network mode, it gives you the option to set the preferred network mode to

1. Global
2. LTE/CDMA
3. GSM/UMTS

Yes it is a world phone however Verizon programmed it so that you cannot enter APN information for outside carriers. Without the APNs you can only get voice, not data on other networks. I've been searching for a solution to this but have not found any that do not require rooting the phone.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes it is a world phone however Verizon programmed it so that you cannot enter APN information for outside carriers. Without the APNs you can only get voice, not data on other networks. I've been searching for a solution to this but have not found any that do not require rooting the phone.

Outside of an about face in a future update from Verizon that adds in the required settings (which I wouldn't count on), rooting the phone is probably going to be the only way to add an APN.

OP
B

beefchopper

Reaction score
I guess they mean by "worldphone" that it takes up the same amount of space in your pocket anywhere in the world.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I guess they mean by "worldphone" that it takes up the same amount of space in your pocket anywhere in the world.

Well, it's definitely a world phone in the manner Verizon intends it to be - fully functional for voice and data when you're roaming on their SIM and paying their prices.

But it is more than a bit underhanded of them to try to partially get around the fact that their LTE devices must be SIM unlocked. It is unlocked, but they didn't include access to the required settings in order to fully take advantage of that.