Not as disappointed as before.....

DebDroid

Reaction score
I am so glad I found these forums. I love my Droid but was so disappointed by the glitchyness that I was finding myself only wanting to use my ENV Touch. Thanks to the forums, I have figured things out and learned a lot! Now I use my Droid all the time.

I still have some trouble with calls sometimes where I need the keypad and the screen stays black,though. Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the update?

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I see my screen is black during a call when I hold the phone to my ear. But when I remove it from my ear, mine lights back up, and allows me to use the touch screen.

I am not only a Mod here, I am also a Droid User :p

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is a sensor that cuts the screen when you place it to your face, it should light back up when you pull it away.....It's by design.

adam8ch

Reaction score
you have to watch your fingers a bit when you handle the phone during a call. i've accidentally trigger the proximity sensor before when i'm holding the phone towards the top during a call (and its not up to my face).

OP
D

DebDroid

Reaction score
It usually works that way but on a couple of calls to my bank, the screen would not come back, could not turn off the phone, menu buttons would not work.....had to remove the battery. And if I turn the sound off by swiping to the left on the unlock screen, it doesn't always come back. LOL

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
also disable auto dimming...that seems to help it....

mbraat

Reaction score
The Droid is a huge disappointmet.

The only thing the Droid does better than the iphone is make and receive calls. I am hugely disappointed with this phone. The cheapest phone on the market can send text messages by group distribution lists but not this "smart phone". I spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon "tech support" and they were unable to solve the problem. Worse yet, it seemed as if they are completely new to the phone. I felt like I was beta testing the device. " Let's try this oh that didn't work ok let's try this now."The tactile keyboard sucks.The camera performs well in bright sunlight, but don't try and take a picture inside or worse yet at night. The screen is way too dark especially when you put the recommended privacy screen on. I was more concerned with protecting the screen than privacy, but this is all that was offered. It does some things very well but the shortcomings make it unbearable to use. I will go back to my Razr and hope the Palm Pre is better. I want an iphone, but AT&T service is terrible. I have to stay with Verizon and hope they offer a smart phone that is actually a smart phone. I can not believe this product has fallen so far short. They must know there is a problem as I am told I am getting a full refund in spite of the fact I no longer have any of the packaging. What a fiasco. I guess the Droid doesn't. It is amazing that you can get a great phone or you can get a great carrier, but not both.:mad:

adam8ch

Reaction score
I can not believe this product has fallen so far short. They must know there is a problem as I am told I am getting a full refund in spite of the fact I no longer have any of the packaging. What a fiasco. I guess the Droid doesn't.

First posts like this make me think troll every time. Anywho. Yea that packing costs like 25 cents. ALSO, they give you 30 days to return it anyways. :icon_rolleyes:

I presume you've owned an iPhone for an appreciable amount of time to be able to make a fair comparison?

TomN

Reaction score
I gave up my iPhone for the Droid, and haven't missed it yet.

Ok I miss some of the apps.... but the Motorola Droid is every bit the phone that the iPhone is.

mbraat

Reaction score
no I have never owned an iphone

I have never owned an iphone, but i have used friends many times and it is so much more intuitive. I was able to do what i wanted to with little to no difficulty. I desperatly wanted the Droid to be good, but it's not. Can you explain how the top of the line offering can't send a simple text message to a group distribution list when even the free phones ou get with a contract can? Surprise the HTC can. I can't get an iphone because AT&T coverage is horrendous. I am not looking for miracles just a phone that works, a web browser, a way to text groups and a few simple apps. Expanding a web page is even a pain in the ass. I think that the Droid is Googles way of Beta testing prior to their eventual launch into the market. Believe me when I say I am not an Apple snob who thinks everything Apple is gold. They have their problems as well. Verizon, in my area, is simply the only option so I wanted the Droid to be everything that was advertised, but it simply is not.

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Seems your only valid complaint is the text issue. :dry:

I came from an iphone after using it for 2yrs and must say I dont miss it for a second. And just to think...its only been a week. I cant wait to see where the Droid goes.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes...thats why there is hundreds of phones out there. But lets make valid points if we're going to bash a product.

Just to think...the iPhone just barely caught on to the fact of attaching pics to SMS. Something that's been around for years and it didnt have it.

TomN

Reaction score
Dunno, I only text a couple people so I've never needed to set up a distribution list. However if you go to the Verizon and Motorola forums and pose this question you might get a workaround solution. And since the company reads those forums you might put the bug in someone's ear there that this needs to be addressed. Just a thought, and I hope you can get the Droid to work the way you need it to.

adam8ch

Reaction score
Can you explain how the top of the line offering can't send a simple text message to a group distribution list when even the free phones ou get with a contract can?

Did a bit of Googleing. It seems chompSMS and texteasy are both apps you can find in the Marketplace that will allow you to message groups. You may have to edit your Groups through Gmail and not on your phone. I never txt groups of people. I use e-mail for that ;).

Here's the chompSMS site detailing group messaging: http://www.chompsms.com/main/more_features#quick-pick-contacts-n-groups

If you still have your droid, heres the QR code:
chart

Last edited: