Anyone disappointed by the lack of...

jcortes

Reaction score
... Application development and the horrible GUIs on almost every app. It seems like every day another great iPhone app comes out and every app has a polished and great looking GUI. Have they already forgotten about us? Where is the love? And why do our apps have to be so ugly!?

PS: Love my droid just really disappointed in lack of development.

Mars

Reaction score
yea im also very disappointed in how ugly and poorly developed the apps are. just watch someone come in hear cryin bout "if you want something pretty go get an iphone" nonsense. is it wrong to want something of visually pleasing aesthetics yet function?

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree, most apps are more in the underdeveloped range...but, there are some that Ive been surprised with...and it seems lately, that Ive noticed more and more of these cleaner and more polished looking apps. So maybe the development is beginning to pick up in the apps department...hopefully, because that would be something truly nice see

Droidlicous

Reaction score
Just give it time, this is still new to a lot of people as for myself I'm just getting into Software Developing, I'm actually pursuing my education in Software Engineering just because this Droid open my eyes to all the potential out there in Software Developing...

Spectral

Reaction score
Apple has years of development on Android, give it some time.

Mars

Reaction score
Well hopefully in time developers will not only focus on making better apps but also better looking apps as well..

sarreq

Reaction score
I'd like to point out a few great apps in need of an extreme makeover

Screebl - brilliant functionally, not so much UI-wise
City Caller ID and Call Location - both do roughly the same thing, both do it well enough, and both present themselves very poorly. City Caller ID pops up in the wrong location in respect to the rest of the caller infotext, while Call Location pops up a wholly inappropriate box
PayPal - other than being over simplified, it does enough of what I need it for. BUT, it could look better
Fandango - there's a few things wrong with this, topmost being the sub-tabs. they're entirely too small, and you have to tap entirely too precisely (or drum on them) for them to respond at all. past that, it needs to integrate with Maps better, not being able to get directions to a theater from within the app is rather annoying.
Package Tracking - mis-alignment galore, that's all I have to say

hughesjr

Reaction score
... Application development and the horrible GUIs on almost every app. It seems like every day another great iPhone app comes out and every app has a polished and great looking GUI. Have they already forgotten about us? Where is the love? And why do our apps have to be so ugly!?

PS: Love my droid just really disappointed in lack of development.
How many of those iphone apps are free?

The vast majority of Droid apps are free.

allikanbe

Reaction score
I'm amazed at all the things this Droid can do. I much prefer function over form. I think the apps look fine. More fancy stuff takes more time to develop, more memory, and may slow things down a bit.

mjs31

Reaction score
I'd like to point out a few great apps in need of an extreme makeover

Screebl - brilliant functionally, not so much UI-wise
City Caller ID and Call Location - both do roughly the same thing, both do it well enough, and both present themselves very poorly. City Caller ID pops up in the wrong location in respect to the rest of the caller infotext, while Call Location pops up a wholly inappropriate box
PayPal - other than being over simplified, it does enough of what I need it for. BUT, it could look better
Fandango - there's a few things wrong with this, topmost being the sub-tabs. they're entirely too small, and you have to tap entirely too precisely (or drum on them) for them to respond at all. past that, it needs to integrate with Maps better, not being able to get directions to a theater from within the app is rather annoying.
Package Tracking - mis-alignment galore, that's all I have to say
I disagree with Screebl. Easy to set up and then once done, you don't need to open it any more. I would rather see work done to the GUI of apps I have to use regularly.

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm amazed at all the things this Droid can do. I much prefer function over form. I think the apps look fine. More fancy stuff takes more time to develop, more memory, and may slow things down a bit.
I agree. No doubt the years of making apps for the Iphone has allowed the devs to create a smooth user interface and I have no doubt that the Android market will also get there, but I would much rather have the devs work on function over form. Not saying I would not like to see some sweet looking interface, but for right now, function. The Iphone was a first and it took off big time. It still has incredible sales so developers know that they have a large user database and can put time into these apps. This will also happen once developers see that the Android user database will continue to grow.
There needs to be some patience.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not only the years of development, it's apple's tight control over what they allow onto their marketplace.

Certainly development will pick up on Android, but there will be tons more apps that are: useless, possibly malicious, poorly designed, etc. simply because it it open to anyone who wants to grab the SDK and have a go at it.

So, the question begs (and one Applw will gladly point out) do we place controls on the market moving forward to "Portect" users from horrible apps that may give a negative impact on Android? (And basically have no access to the units major features, etc.)

I say no.

It's like freeware / shareware for PC's, tons out there, some good, some really bad, but there are gems out there, and more to come as they learn the OS they're coding for.

It also means as users, that we have to take responsibility for what we install on our units. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree with Screebl. Easy to set up and then once done, you don't need to open it any more. I would rather see work done to the GUI of apps I have to use regularly.

I strongly agree with you about Screebl.

Please if you're disappointed in anything at all about the Droid, please use a Blackberry Storm for just 1 week. Then tell me how disappointed you are. I know I say that kind of religiously but I feel so free after putting up with the Storm for over a year and thinking that it was "the best out there," I have to keep repeating it.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score

I strongly agree with you about Screebl.

Please if you're disappointed in anything at all about the Droid, please use a Blackberry Storm for just 1 week. Then tell me how disappointed you are. I know I say that kind of religiously but I feel so free after putting up with the Storm for over a year and thinking that it was "the best out there," I have to keep repeating it.

Amen Brother! The Storm was truly a piece of work! Now, about the iphone apps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the iphone store it's apps in it's device memory (8GB, 16GB, 32GB) which means that iphone apps are larger in size which would obviously contribute to their more "polished" appearance?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Please if you're disappointed in anything at all about the Droid, please use a Blackberry Storm for just 1 week. Then tell me how disappointed you are. I know I say that kind of religiously but I feel so free after putting up with the Storm for over a year and thinking that it was "the best out there," I have to keep repeating it. "

Hooky, by now I thought you would just place this in your signature to save time either typing, or copying and pasting from another thread ... :icon_ devil:

Never had a BB, but I agree with you from looking at it.