No gingerbread?! Plz be wrong

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'll probably accept OTA, but sbf back pretty quick. Just going to system dump, then sbf back, restore back to a custom rom. Blur may look nice now, but Blur is Blur. It'll never be better than source.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'll probably accept OTA, but sbf back pretty quick. Just going to system dump, then sbf back, restore back to a custom rom. Blur may look nice now, but Blur is Blur. It'll never be better than source.

Thats assuming you can. They may decide to screw everyone over and change the bootloader which means you cant sbf back.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I'm hoping that maybe the updated libs will provide some nice things, as the update details PDF listed improved battery life as one of the features.

That, and we can always hope for an unlocked bootloader!

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
“Improved battery life” mostly refers to some kernel improvements (cleanup of various redundant mechanisms and such) as far as I have read elsewhere, though.

Asphyx

Reaction score

Thats assuming you can. They may decide to screw everyone over and change the bootloader which means you cant sbf back.

I doubt highly they will ever break the SBF system as that is the only way to reflash a corrupted system completely.

And with the encryption there really is no reason to not allow flashing old SBF since they are all Moto Files. So I wouldn't worry too much about that happening...

In regards to the battery savings, I am sure that has very little to do with the GB or kernel and everything to do with optimization of the Blur which is what was really killing the battery. Too much radio use when the phone was doing nothing in the name of blurr is what killes the battery the most. Get rid of thre Blur and you see what I mean.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Okay, riddle me this, Batman: why are these battery life improvements noticeable for GB on HTC, Samsung, and LG phones?

Do those run Blur?

Asphyx

Reaction score
Okay, riddle me this, Batman: why are these battery life improvements noticeable for GB on HTC, Samsung, and LG phones?

Do those run Blur?

No! HTC runs somthing called Sense. Samsung has made a few "Google Experience" phones but none of the manufacturers are running a PURE AOSP version of GB. Which means Gingerbread without any carrier or Manufacturer bloatware (that tends to favor the Social Media stuff and wastes battery time on checking for the latest updates every 10 minutes.)

GB may offer some battery savings over Froyo due to optimized background tasks and better power throttling settings. But those savings would be insignificant if even noticable.

Most of the wasted batterytime with stock froyo is due to all the facebook and update crap (like the BBC news app that came stock before BBC made their own release) that would wear your battery down to nothing flat!

This is why the bloatware removal script is the first thing most people running stock reach for because you get another 3 or 4 hours of idle time with it.

I'm running Fission right now. And I don't have ANY battery issues.
I have gone as long as 24 hours with light usage and 9 Hours with heavy usage.

And thats with a Froyo OS that really was deblurred and not much else.

It's about the tasks and how many you have running in the background. Thats why you read stories and reports that a battery saver does more harm than good because it is yet another thing that requires the CPU to be powered to run. The less you run in the background which means when the phone is in idle, the more battery power you will have when you ARE trying to do something.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
No! HTC runs somthing called Sense. Samsung has made a few "Google Experience" phones etc etc

Good job missing my sarcasm.

Also, stock 2.4.330, 8 hours of heavy use (mostly internet + music player) with stock battery.

Asphyx

Reaction score
No! HTC runs somthing called Sense. Samsung has made a few "Google Experience" phones etc etc

Good job missing my sarcasm.

Also, stock 2.4.330, 8 hours of heavy use (mostly internet + music player) with stock battery.

By heavy use I mean I'm making Calls all day.
Internet doesn't use as much power as Voice calls. Tx is not on as much for Net as it is for voice.

I get 14-18 hours if all I do is stream music and net.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
with fission I was able to run pandora non stop for 3 hours, use the phone while I was in the bathroom at work and on break. I even had many sync'ing services running. I had a day and a half of battery.

oldblackcrow

Reaction score
I'm on rooted D2G and using the GO launcher, which I love. My battery life is less than 4 hours just reading news and email/text with limited calls (stock battery)... even after freezing bloatware.

I'm thinking about going to one of the ROMs y'all mention here. However, I've heard various reviews that the D2G ROMs are very simplistic, like Liberty.... what do they mean by that and what should I expect on a new ROM? Should I wait for a GB ROM or go for it now? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from D2G

Last edited:

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Go for it. Cm is running pretty smoothly nowadays, and battery life is enough to get through a day. So far, still at 90% battery here after 6 hours off charger. Despite the "severely limited" battery life some report. Try it out.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I'm on rooted D2G and using the GO launcher, which I love. My battery life is less than 4 hours just reading news and email/text with limited calls (stock battery)... even after freezing bloatware.

I'm thinking about going to one of the ROMs y'all mention here. However, I've heard various reviews that the D2G ROMs are very simplistic, like Liberty.... what do they mean by that and what should I expect on a new ROM? Should I wait for a GB ROM or go for it now? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from D2G

If you want something that is not buggy i would go with heXen. It is the best of angelrom and fenom in one. You will get to see what your d2g is actually capable of. HeXen is basic due to it not being highly customizable.
Cm7 is buggy for now, but gives.you custumization beyond any rom available. For example i have my lockscreen set up rotary style, if i pull it down it goes straight to my texts. And gives me lockscreen music controls. There are many tuts on flashing in the global roms section. But if you have anymore questikns feel free to pm me.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
MrHatchi87

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
i will have to say that HeXen is good for battery if you have all your services off, like no gps, lowest brightness, no autosync, or wifi... i used to get maybe thru an 8 hr day at work, now i can do days and days with light usage. i love it :) try it

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Quick little messed up thing I found in cm...stock music player can't read the artist id3 tag correctly. Everything shows up as unknown artist.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.