No Gingerbread for D2/D2G til' D3 release

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
droid2-global-gingerbread1-600x160-550x146.png

Anybody holding out for the Gingerbread update for the Droid 2 Global will need to practice a bit of patience, as leaked documents pertaining to the release of the Droid 3 suggest that the update to Android 2.3 won’t rollout until after the successor device has launched. It’s just another wrinkle in a saga that began when the Motorola Droid Xreceived its update to Gingerbread, quickly followed by a soak test" for the Droid 2 Global. We had hoped this would mean the update would come to all D2G handsets soon after, but here we sit weeks later with nothing to show.

Yesterday we learned Verizon rejected the latest round of Android 2.3 updates from Motorola for being riddled with bugs and glitches, and the revelation that the Droid 2 Global won’t see Gingerbread until after the Droid 3 launches has us thinking there is still work to be done. Of course, VZW could be holding off on the update in an attempt to steer people towards the upcoming handset, but that seems unlikely. The latest rumors suggest the Droid 3 will launch sometime in the first half of July, but that hardly has us hopeful that the Droid 2 will be getting an update in the same time period.

SOURCE: DROID2 Global Gingerbread Available “Soon After” DROID3 Launches - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Sqube

Reaction score
You know, it's not that Motorola is a bad company. But I'll be damned if I can see why I should be giving them my money, in light of what Samsung and HTC are doing.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
You know, it's not that Motorola is a bad company. But I'll be damned if I can see why I should be giving them my money, in light of what Samsung and HTC are doing.
the problem isnt motorola itself in this situation...its just that the gingerbread update has been proven to have a mass amount of bugs for those devices. so theyre holding them back until they get them fixed

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Again, seems like a way rip just eol the D2G immediately after the D3's release...guess the d2g will never live to see 4.0 at this rate. Probably never will anyways :laugh:

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world...

captain howdy

Reaction score
Well if you look at the pic and read the article. You will notice in the pic it says nothing about the droid2 global, it a training document for the droid3. And in the article it even says that there is no mention of any droid2 gb update.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

littlerick

Reaction score
Well if you look at the pic and read the article. You will notice in the pic it says nothing about the droid2 global, it a training document for the droid3. And in the article it even says that there is no mention of any droid2 gb update.

i was about to point that out also. i think it means that the droid 3 will be updated to 2.3 soon after launch (atleast from what i'm reading)

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

i was about to point that out also. i think it means that the droid 3 will be updated to 2.3 soon after launch (atleast from what i'm reading)

Actually, the droid 3 is releasing with gingerbread. The only devices that have not received the gingerbread update are those 2 simply because they proved to be buggy. There's another article on that.