Nexus 6 Pics: Size Compared to Every Nexus Phone Before

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will look at one (standard Note 4) tomorrow when I am in VZW but I don't see me coming home with it :)...I think for now, I can say that I have moved away from Sammy.

You are turning down a dev edition of the note 4, you must be tired of touchwiz.....or miss Motorola is anxious to buy another motorola device and a nexus phablet is just too much to pass up.

:D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have to agree that the size of the larger note phones and such have caught on, but not to the extent of the masses (meaning the largest portion of the marketshare who buys new phones each year). Case in point, you compare the Nexus 6 with the iPhone 6, but they are considerably different in size with the Nexus 6 being closer in size to the iPhone 6+

***********Nexus 6**************--------iPhone 6--------
82.98 x 159.26 x 10.06 mm
138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm

In fact, I can't even find a comparison in pictures between the two. Every comparison I find is between the Nexus 6 and the iPhone 6+.

img_20141021_121552.jpg

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
Remember when the galaxy nexus was a big phone.....wow how time has changed. At 4.65 the galaxy nexus would not even be considered a small phone these days.
I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I kind of wish we were back at 4.65" screen sizes. I still have my Galaxy S3 and I think even the 4.8" screen is too big! You'd think I would get used to it after 2 years, but no, I want to go smaller. Unfortunately, I don't see how I can every get a high-end phone (processor, memory, storage, camera, etc...) that's less than 4.8"

soulpatch

Reaction score
the page linked at top allows you to select any phone you wish to compare it to.

Also have to be careful with the term masses. If you are talking about total cell phone purchases then sure smaller sizes still rule but that is because they are free or nearly so witht he subsidizes plans. If you look at the masses buying premier phones then the size has been creeping for some time and has blossumed this year with these new devices.

The iPhone 6 I stated would compare closer to the S5 but still a significant jump in sizes that the "masses" have been calling for. Apple will sell many more 6 then 6+ due to the size differences. Unlike those of us in Android who have been growing for years Apple fans have to make a large shift overnight as opposed to a slower evolution.

I think 6" is probably the largest the public will allow for a phone. I cant shove my 8" note tablet in my pants thats for sure. Everything is cylical though. With accessories coming online and eventually objects like google glass gaining popularity our phones will start to shrink again as we will be digesting the media on other outlets. Only time will tell but as consumers we get bored and tend to want to switch it up

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You are turning down a dev edition of the note 4, you must be tired of touchwiz.....or miss Motorola is anxious to buy another motorola device and a nexus phablet is just too much to pass up.

:D

Maybe a little of both :)...I think after playing with the Moto X 2014, I have missed Moto and as you mention it is a Nexus :)...I gave up my Note 3 earlier this year as my DD when I got the LG G2 and then the G3 - both were / are great phones!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
the page linked at top allows you to select any phone you wish to compare it to.

Also have to be careful with the term masses. If you are talking about total cell phone purchases then sure smaller sizes still rule but that is because they are free or nearly so witht he subsidizes plans. If you look at the masses buying premier phones then the size has been creeping for some time and has blossumed this year with these new devices.

The iPhone 6 I stated would compare closer to the S5 but still a significant jump in sizes that the "masses" have been calling for. Apple will sell many more 6 then 6+ due to the size differences. Unlike those of us in Android who have been growing for years Apple fans have to make a large shift overnight as opposed to a slower evolution.
I think 6" is probably the largest the public will allow for a phone. I cant shove my 8" note tablet in my pants thats for sure. Everything is cylical though. With accessories coming online and eventually objects like google glass gaining popularity our phones will start to shrink again as we will be digesting the media on other outlets. Only time will tell but as consumers we get bored and tend to want to switch it up

OK, thanks for that info. It's great because I can actually see the differences.

Apple versus Nexus.JPG

Here's my MAXX compared to the Nexus 6. Don't think I want to leap that much in size.

MAXX Versus Nexus 6.JPG

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Man, I'm liking that size comparison tool...

MAXX versus Nexus 6 versus iPhone 6.JPG
MAXX versus Nexus 6 versus iPhone 6 (layered).JPG

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK everyone, here's an idea. Download and print this image (the PDF link at the bottom, not the jpg thumbnail below), make sure you uncheck the option to "fit to page", or make sure "original size" is checked...either way.

Then cut out the iPhone 6 Plus and hold it. It's virtually the same size as the Nexus 6 so you'll get an idea how big it really is.

iPhone 6 Plus and 6 cutouts.JPG

Attachments

• iphone-6-and-6-plus-scale-cutout.pdf
    930.6 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
(thanks Ggrant)

can you believe that was bulky....or that the droid was thought of as bulky...haha

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While the comparison shots are great, you can't really get a good sense of "what's good for you", until you actually have it "in hand" and are able to spend more than 5 minutes with it.
I was exactly like so many other folks who thought anything over 4.7" was too large. When I had my Fascinate, I thought it was the perfect size (4") and would never even consider a larger device. Even when my upgrade rolled around, I was sure that the S3 was going to be way too large and (by going off of research and photos online) I knew that I wouldn't buy one based off of research I had done online.
Of course all that changed after spending an hour in the store test driving numerous models. Suddenly I knew THIS (the S3 at 4.8 inches) was the "perfect" size. Of course I told myself I would NEVER get anything larger than the S3. I was convinced 4.8 inches was the (new) "perfect" size for me.
THEN another upgrade rolls around and I spent some time in store with the S5 with it's 5.1" size. While I was there, I compared it to the Note 3 and came to the conclusion that the 5.7 inch Note 3 was actually "doable". I ultimately went with the S5 mainly because it was the latest & greatest at that particular time.

My point is, I'm the type of person that will research the heck out of any & all of my electronic purchases. But all the research in the world doesn't mean squat until you actually spend some "hands on" time with said device. I've sworn up and down for years that the Note series were simply way too large for a daily driver phone. That was true....until I spent some serious time with the N3 . LOL
I know some folks are dead set on "one handed use" with their phones, but seriously, if you really think about it, how often do you truly use one hand to operate your device. While I HAVE figured out how to do so on my S5, the majority of the time, I've always used two hands, even when I had my 4 inch Fascinate.

Moral of the story is, don't count out these larger phones simply by what you read online and/or by looking at photo comparisons. IMO, that's not a true determination of how it feels "in hand", or how you would actually use the device. Don't be afraid to spend an hour at your local carrier test driving all of these amazing new models. I really think you'll surprise yourself in what actually feels comfortable in hand.
That said, I'm a big supporter of Bluetooth, and IMO they are a must have accessory once you start getting into any device larger than 5 inches.
I know we all have our likes/dislikes and personal limits, but don't be too quick to count out a great new device simply by how it "looks" via an online comparison photo. Again, you'll be surprised on how you actually feel once it's in hand.
As always, this is just my experience and point of view. Best of luck to all of you and your (difficult) decision on your next device. There has never been so many great options available to the Android fan.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree that our tastes change and that it's easier to accept a larger phone now for me than it was perhaps two years ago. That said, I'm also not happy that the battery in the Nexis is actually smaller than the Turbo so another reason I'd choose Turbo over Nexus.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I jumped on the phablet train straight out of the gate. Every time I would trouble shoot an issue on one of the family's phones they felt miniscule (iPhones, HTC One X, etc). I'm actually considering going the opposite route and downsizing.