Newbie rooter rom problems

GCurry

Reaction score
I've been lurking on the forum for the past couple weeks, trying to get smarter about rooting, alternate ROMs, etc. But I've gotten myself in a little fix and could use some guidance to make sure I don't make it worse.

THE CURRENT SYMPTOM

In a nutshell, I'm stuck on the "M" screen, but I can get to Clockwork Recovery 2.0.1.3. I've waiting a long time for the "M" to expire, as it did before, but this time I can't get past it.

HOW I GOT HERE

Last week, I did a manual FRG01B update. Then I rooted with EasyRoot and fussed around a little with SetCPU to get comfortable. All was normal, but with issues probably surrounding the Froyo update; I had lots of apps.

I decided to give ROM Manager premium a try. I had trouble, as others seem to have had, flashing the most recent CW recovery. I could successfully flash SP recovery, so did that and made an SP nandroid backup then, just in case. So that is my primary fallback. I tried then to flash an older CW recovery, 2.0.1.3. I'd seemed to succeed in ROM Manager, but I could not make a ROM backup from within ROM Mgr (spontaneous reboot instead). I also was having trouble booting into CW Recovery - would go to stock recovery instead. I think that is when I started to see the bootup "M" logo for much longer than normal, a minute or so, but it'd always time out and then the phone would boot.

Kept trying and succeeded, I think, in making a CW recovery nandroid, so decided to install Sapphire 1.0. The bootup "M" was still there for a long time, but Sapphire came up eventually. So I fussed with it, restoring things and the phone seemed to be working just fine. So I reboot, or tried to, and this time, I couldn't seem to get past the bootup "M", even after waiting 5 min.

But I can boot into CW recovery, by holding the X key. And I THINK I have a CW ROM (nandroid?) backup, made from within ROM Mgr. So my initial thought (but I thought I'd ask here first) was to restore that CW backup to pre-Sapphire state, clean up the "M" problem and try again. I'm unclear on whether to wipe data / factory reset or wipe cache partition.

So if I can revert (to my manual update Froyo world) I guess the next step is to try to fix whatever is causing the bootup "M" to stay up so long. Other advice is welcome!

Thanks, and good, informative forum.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try a wipe of date/cache before you install next time. Make certain to backup your apps. I use titatium backup.

OP
G

GCurry

Reaction score
There is an option in ROM Mgr to Wipe Data / Cache, and I did check that option when asking to install Sapphire. I'm not sure if that just invokes the CW recovery option for wipe data / factory reset and wipe cache partition. So now, looking at CW recovery, all I can see are the latter options. I guess I don't know whether "factory reset" is going to rewrite my CW recovery back to stock.

And yes, I did do a Titanium backup so have that. Getting it to run is a mystery so far. :) I didn't use it over the fresh Sapphire 1.0 install cause I wasn't completely sure what it was going to change, so just let Google reinstall apps and then I logged in to most of them manually.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I'd like to move this thread to the appropriate section so can you please tell me what phone you are using.

OP
G

GCurry

Reaction score
Sorry about that. It's an original Motorola Droid, D1

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a rooted Droid 1 and would be glad to assist but lets get you to the correct section first which is the Droid rooted help in the RS section.

Mike

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you can boot into CW, wipe data/cache and restore the backup you made.

OP
G

GCurry

Reaction score
Abe, thanks for the guidance. I wiped data/cache, also the dalvik cache, and did the CW restore from the nandroid backup I made. So far, seems normal, so recharging battery and will inspect in a bit.

I'll make another run at this, after I disable that "Flash Recovery Service" feature discussed in another thread.

At this point, the bootup "M" stays for about 20 seconds, which might be in the range of normal.

Thanks again for the help.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Abe, thanks for the guidance. I wiped data/cache, also the dalvik cache, and did the CW restore from the nandroid backup I made. So far, seems normal, so recharging battery and will inspect in a bit.

I'll make another run at this, after I disable that "Flash Recovery Service" feature discussed in another thread.

At this point, the bootup "M" stays for about 20 seconds, which might be in the range of normal.

Thanks again for the help.

no problem

just remember before installing anything using CW, make a BACKUP! save yourself if something goes wrong

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motocache does have very nice posts/threads.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score