Newbie Fission Questions

Chaos2092

Reaction score
So I just rooted my D2G and installed Fission and haven't really done a whole lot with it yet...

My primary problem comes in that I used the standard backup assistant to back up my contacts to my Google account, but now have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to sync them back. I thought that the sync in the contacts menu would've worked, but lo and behold I still don't have my previous contacts... Which is sort of a must for me. Any help there?

Also, I'm curious as to what applications/other modifications for Fission will best help my performance and battery life. I'm not really sure what rooting and installing Fission has allowed me to do as opposed to when I just had everything stock...

You guys want to help someone new to all this out? Thanks in advance. dancedroid

L0ckett

Reaction score
The best thing to do would be to restore your backup you (hopefully) made prior to flashing Fission. Go to your contacts and hit the menu button and select Import/Export and export your contacts to your SD card, flash Fission again, contacts, menu, import from sd card and all of your contacts SHOULD be there. Hopefully that helps you out some as I have never tried Fission.

OP
Chaos2092

Chaos2092

Reaction score
The best thing to do would be to restore your backup you (hopefully) made prior to flashing Fission. Go to your contacts and hit the menu button and select Import/Export and export your contacts to your SD card, flash Fission again, contacts, menu, import from sd card and all of your contacts SHOULD be there. Hopefully that helps you out some as I have never tried Fission.
Yeah, that's what I thought too but unfortunately even though I had synced everything prior, it doesn't seem this worked. The only other sync I know I had that I don't have access to now was the backup assistant from the stock ROM... so I might reinstall that and backup my contacts some other way for future reference.

I think I'm actually going to stick with the stock for now until Gingerbread finally comes out, because Fission didn't really offer much of what I was looking for, at least not yet. Damn new and unproven technology in phones... lol. I'm sure the wait won't be long with gingerbread and I'll be happy with the stock ROM rooted as it is. Once I can really get some crazy stuff out of this phone I'll be in heaven, really.

Thank you though, maybe if people can give me a bunch of reasons to reinstall Fission after I do this, I'll make sure my contacts are backed up properly, probably to my SD card, and try this all again.

L0ckett

Reaction score
I personally would either flash Angelrom or HeXen as they are both only for the D2G. I know heXen includes some hacks like the 3G speed hack. Either one of them works fine with no issues.

biknut1

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought too but unfortunately even though I had synced everything prior, it doesn't seem this worked. The only other sync I know I had that I don't have access to now was the backup assistant from the stock ROM... so I might reinstall that and backup my contacts some other way for future reference.

I think I'm actually going to stick with the stock for now until Gingerbread finally comes out, because Fission didn't really offer much of what I was looking for, at least not yet. Damn new and unproven technology in phones... lol. I'm sure the wait won't be long with gingerbread and I'll be happy with the stock ROM rooted as it is. Once I can really get some crazy stuff out of this phone I'll be in heaven, really.

Thank you though, maybe if people can give me a bunch of reasons to reinstall Fission after I do this, I'll make sure my contacts are backed up properly, probably to my SD card, and try this all again.

It's a pain in the butt the first time but I put all my contacts in Google. That way they are always on the web and they synced automagically when I installed Fission.

As for rooting your phone, may I suggest SetCPU to drastically improve your battery life and Titanium Backup to save/restore your apps. Two of the best things I've done to my phone!

Oh, and give some serious thought to the Gorilla Gadgets extended battery. With that and SetCPU you should be able to go all day and still have battery left.

The advantage of Fission, as it has already been pointed out, is in it's themes.

OP
Chaos2092

Chaos2092

Reaction score
I'll definitely check out the different themes to see how lightweight I can get them... and try out SetCPU. I knew the app had CPU in the name but I wasn't sure what its name was. Thanks! I already have Titanium Backup and will back up all my stuff shortly.

EDIT: What's a good way to manage network traffic? Like easily being able to shut off the 3G connection through a widget or something, etc. etc.

Last edited:

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I currently have 3G Watchdog for my phone. It has a widget that shows when either Wifi or 3G is active. Using Juice Defender with Watchdog gives a widget to turn data on and off. I guess this sounds like what you're looking for.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Chaos2092

Chaos2092

Reaction score
Right now I'm using Extended Controls and that seems to be working quite well...