Questions from a newbie. theming on stock rom, fission

srfrmac87

Reaction score
Ok, first i would like to say thank you for a great atmosphere and an excellent resource for users. I have had my phone almost a month now and I am looking to start customizing it. So i have a few questions:

I have not rooted my phone yet, but plan to once my 30 day warranty expires. Beyond that, I was wondering if there are any themes available (or to make if need be) for the stock ROM (for free). I know that fission comes with themes/has them available. But i want to avoid flashing ROMs on my phone if at all possible. How would I go about doing this?

This being said. I have been looking into actually using fission, but don't really want to go through the whole process of flashing the phone. I haven't actually found why one would change to fission. I see it has a few things like reboot menu, being blur free, "custom framework", etc. What other real advantages does fission have over the rooted stock ROM? Not that it has been described on D2G, but i have seen a few posts that stock ROMs could be themed. so that is not a real advantage. Being blur free is possible with rooted stock ROM via freezing the apps. I am not trying to discredit fission at all here. I am simply curious, about all rom - fission is the only one for us now.

If i do decide to flash the ROM, what programs do I need/which are best. I have seen several ROM managers, but I am kind of hazy on which one I should use and what other programs are necessary.

I have experience hexediting, theme designing, flashing bios/firmware to computer components in the past and all. so theming is fairly well known to me and flashing the rom will be ok, i am just hesitant to do so if i do not need to. That being said, thank you to anyone for your help!

PS - First post woohoo dancedroid

Merc

Reaction score
I was a complete Droid newb when I came here a month ago, and after swapping from an X to the D2G, I have learned a little. I am still quite newb-ish, but I was able to easily and quickly root and flash fission to my device. I must say the level of customization that comes with fission makes the minor annoyance of flashing a nonexistent concern. As far as I know, theming is limited to at least rooted devices, and I have yet to hear of it being possible withing stock rom, but I am most likely wrong. Keep searching here and some more knowledgeable chaps are likely to point you in the direction you seek.

Happy posting!

Psj77

Reaction score
Well you can theme with different launchers from the market place, such as adw launcher or launcher pro. But I'm using fission and I love it, it looks pretty, it has no bloatware, its overall sweet. I also think that fission improves battery life.

You should definitely look into fission, flashing roms is pretty easy and well worth it!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

erik3152

Reaction score
I can say that after flashing Fission, my battery life has improved greatly. The add-ons are just a bonus.

sjwoodard

Reaction score
The combination of Fission, JuiceDefender, SetCPU (for underclocking to 800mhz) and Titatanium Backup (for freezing things) as well as the extended life battery gives me 2+ days of normal use and about 1-1.5 hours of recharge time.

All of these need root and Fission just makes it so much easier.