Newb going to UK need help....

Rocko

Reaction score
I will be traveling to the UK in a couple of months and want to know..

1) What will it cost me to use Verizon's plan over there-per minute, per MB, etc.

2) Can I simply unlock my phone and throw in a sim card from UK and have it work-will email and data work on that?

Thanks in advance.

Caesarg

Reaction score
The cheapest/easiest thing to do IMO is to just use an unlocked phone and buy a prepaid sim card. It tends to be a lot more expensive to use Verizon.

As for cost, I don't know what Verizon's cost for overseas use is. Hard to answer the phone question because I am not sure what phone you have or plan on using. If it is the Droid X, it is not an option because of no sim slot and cdma only.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
How long are you going for and do you have a "global" phone? If you are going for more than a week you may want to look into a "throwaway" pay as you go phone. Roaming calls and data is extremely expensive. If you have a laptop take it and buy a converter for your charger (airport for cheap). That would be best for your email. I have international calling on one of my lines that is $3.99/month plus. 07¢/minute so you can imagine the roaming cost. I'm sure most hotels have free Wifi now so you could try using your phone on Wifi only. Also don't forget you will need a converter for your phone charger. That's why going with a pay as you go phone may be best if you are going for a while. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Rocko

Rocko

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going for 10 days. I bought the Droid 2 global with the thought it would be less hasle than buying/using a throw away phone. I don't plan on talking much-less than 60 minutes for the trip-but I would like to use email/internet.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Call Verizon and tell them what you are doing. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. They will also need to know if your phone is going to be used out of the country so they don't shut it down. Don't forget the converter otherwise all this was for nothing when your phone dies LOL.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Make sure you unlock it before leaving the US, Then buy a sim when you land.
It's that simple.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Rates for the UK are $1.29 a minute with no plan or $0.99 per minute with a $4.99 per month plan. Texts are $0.50 per text to send and $0.05 for each received. These figures are from Verizon's page. I personally would have the phone unlocked and get a prepaid sim. I go to the UK (Scotland actually) every couple of years and I know that prepaid cards come in all price ranges depending on how much you want to use the phone. If the Droid X is like the Blackberry Storm that I had, all you would have to do is call Verizon to get the unlock code for the phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Rates for the UK are $1.29 a minute with no plan or $0.99 per minute with a $4.99 per month plan. Texts are $0.50 per text to send and $0.05 for each received. These figures are from Verizon's page.

Buying a local sim and using that would not incur these high charges, but you will have a local phone number and not your VZW one.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Make sure you unlock it before leaving the US, Then buy a sim when you land.
It's that simple.

Ok, but with the local SIM, can I use internet/texting?

Not sure...I would check Vodaphone, Orange, T Mobile, O2, Virgin Mobile, and 3 websites as they are the cell providers in London.

zero7404

Reaction score
as for this model (d2g) .... if u get it, have it unlocked so that u can use a foreign sim (prepaid). if you dont have vzw service or are going to join now, vzw may not unlock your phone free of charge so you might have to pay an unlock service for the codes.

keep in mind 2 very important things: some d2g's and droid pros are either defective or are deliberately unlockable. such was the case with my first device, i tried to unlock within the first 30 days of getting it, and it wasnt accepting the codes.
since ive been a vzw customer for a year i exchanged it for a new one and that one unlocked fine.
the other thing you need is an active foreign sim, you cannot unlock the phone without it.

this is a bit of a gamble, but thats the way things are with verizon, so even though you think youre getting a trouble-free device, itd be really annoying to find you cant use it overseas AFTER youve taken the trip.

i think the problem might also cause problems for those that choose to use verizon's sim and global package as well if its a hardware issue with the sim part of the phone.

sent via wireless device

leobg

Reaction score
texting/internet shouldn't be a problem as long as you get the right pre-paid sim. Talk to the people selling them, they will guide you thru. MMS will likely not work (at least doesn't work for me on a normal month-to-month SIM in Canada). SMS, data and calling will be fine. Last but not least - you may need to enter APN settings for data connection on the prepaid sim manually. Again - talk to the staff selling the prepaid cards for details.

OP
Rocko

Rocko

Reaction score
as for this model (d2g) .... if u get it, have it unlocked so that u can use a foreign sim (prepaid). if you dont have vzw service or are going to join now, vzw may not unlock your phone free of charge so you might have to pay an unlock service for the codes.

keep in mind 2 very important things: some d2g's and droid pros are either defective or are deliberately unlockable. such was the case with my first device, i tried to unlock within the first 30 days of getting it, and it wasnt accepting the codes.
since ive been a vzw customer for a year i exchanged it for a new one and that one unlocked fine.
the other thing you need is an active foreign sim, you cannot unlock the phone without it.

this is a bit of a gamble, but thats the way things are with verizon, so even though you think youre getting a trouble-free device, itd be really annoying to find you cant use it overseas AFTER youve taken the trip.

i think the problem might also cause problems for those that choose to use verizon's sim and global package as well if its a hardware issue with the sim part of the phone.

sent via wireless device

Great point. Could I get a UK or other sim card and try to unlock it here? If it does unlock, would I simply put the verizon card back in until the trip and be back to normal?

leobg

Reaction score
You can use the phone in US without any sim card. For unlock purposes, you can use AT&T or T-Mobile SIM too. Any sim, but the one that came with the phone.