Checklist requested for using D2G in UK

gsscooter

Reaction score
I have an upcoming trip to the UK at the end of June and have gone through the step of getting the unlock codes through VZW's global services.

When there, I plan on getting a local Vodafone SIM. My question: What do I need to do to the phone settings to ensure that calls, texts, and data access work without a hitch?

The reason I ask is because I've seen other posts about several problems in getting data access to work and different steps needing to be taken to remedy the situation (regular SIM vs microSim, data roaming checked vs unchecked, etc), whereas others seem to have everything working from the get-go.

Subsequently, I'm just looking for a reliable bullet list of what I need to do to be up and running.

Thanks in advance!

rusty815

Reaction score
so long as its unlocked for use overseas, all you really need to do is change the radio from cdma to gsm, then everything should theoretically work.

buildintechie

Reaction score
I just got back from my honeymoon in the UK (and Paris) a few weeks ago and I took and used my D2G there.

First, when you get a sim, avoid one from Orange, I'd recommend one from O2 wireless...they evidently have better coverage than Orange. I had one from Orange and often had problems getting 3G coverage.

Change your data network to GSM

I disabled Data Roaming...the plan I'd gotten with the SIM limited me to 500MB of data, and I did this to help reduce the downloads to just what I needed.

That was it...like I said earlier, 3g coverage was spotty in and around London and Edinburgh. I'd recommend also relying on Wifi when you're out and about...tons of free hotspots in the major cities.

Hope this helps!

spectraphysics

Reaction score
Odd you say that about Orange. I've had great luck with them in many trips and not had difficulty with 3g signal. Orange actually offers a prepaid plan that lets you call back to the US for almost nothing as well (Camel, I think?).

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I'm unsure why would you care about data roaming when you're using GSM only network mode and a local SIM card. As far as I remember there is no VZW-compatible CDMA coverage available in the UK and France (correct me if I'm wrong), so you can't really roam.

The opening poster also stated that they're going to buy a UK Vodafone card. This pretty much says that they aren't going to use Orange or O2, so I am not sure why was that question even raised.

Also, with a “foreign” non-VZW SIM you might need to add the carrier's APNs to the phone's settings, otherwise chances are you won't get any data coverage at all (neither 3G nor GPRS/EDGE).

OP
G

gsscooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. So, it sounds like I just need to switch to GSM and enter the APNs when the new sim is in.

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. So, it sounds like I just need to switch to GSM and enter the APNs when the new sim is in.

Right, just for completeness, here is the APN info from http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-Desire-Series/APN-Settings/m-p/709571/highlight/true#M11552

(Ignore the numbering, the other steps are specific to their phone!)

11. Enter:
For Pay monthly customers: wap.vodafone.co.uk
For Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
12.Touch OK
13.Touch Proxy
14. Enter 212.183.137.012, touch OK
15.Touch Port
16. Enter 8799, touch OK
17.Touch Username
18. Enter wap, touch OK
19.Touch Password
20. Enter wap, touch OK
21. Press the MENU key
22.Touch Save

And for MMS, they suggest

21.Touch MMSC
22. Enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms, touch OK
23.Touch MMS proxy
24. Enter 212.183.137.012, touch OK
25.Touch MMS port
26. Enter 8799, touch OK

Some phones will automatically detect the APN but I haven't had too much luck with the happening on the D2G. So, put the right one in before you leave (switch to GSM mode and you will be able to enter it, even without having the correct SIM), and also keep a copy (e.g. on the SD card) as sometimes the APN seems to disappear.

I have had good luck in the London area (using another foreign SIM, which uses the Vodafone network).

The other thing to be aware of: this phone seems to be very conservative when indicating GSM signal strength. So even with one, or sometimes no bars, you will find that you will be able to make a voice call without any problem.

Last edited: