New Version 2.1.6 of YouTube Arrives for Android

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
youtube-android.png

For all of our video junkies out there, the YouTube 2.1 for the Android is now available for download from the Android market and offers some great new features. The new version makes it easier to access new videos from your subscriptions, implements a new full-screen UI, and has several more enhancements. Most of the improvements are designed to enhance your experience and make things easier while watching videos. Many of the new features were implemented directly from user-requests. Here's a complete list of what's new:

• In-page playback: you can read the video description, browse related, rate or flag videos without having to interrupt video playback.
  • Posting comments: you can post a comment while the video is playing, just like on the desktop website.
  • Subscription updates: we've made it easier to access new videos from your subscriptions. If you are signed into your account, you will see all your subscription updates right on the home screen of the app.
  • New full-screen UI: To enter full-screen mode simply rotate the phone. The new player controls make it easier to seek within the video, and you can pause or resume the playback by just tapping on the screen.
Check out the video for a quick overview:

[video=youtube;6AAFF9PN-WU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AAFF9PN-WU]YouTube - Explore Nexus S: Youtube 2.0[/video]

by dgstorm

g0dless420

Reaction score
Played around with it a bit, so far I really do like the new UI. I don't often watch videos on my mobile, but for when I do this is going to work beautifully.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Call me crazy but hasn't Youtube had this functionality for weeks now?? The only new thing I see is the ability to comment, like, or dislike. I've been able to look at the details of the video whilst playing, and go full screen with it for a time. (confused face).

Also not that it's that big a deal but it's actually version 2.1.6 :)

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Call me crazy but hasn't Youtube had this functionality for weeks now?? The only new thing I see is the ability to comment, like, or dislike. I've been able to look at the details of the video whilst playing, and go full screen with it for a time. (confused face).

Also not that it's that big a deal but it's actually version 2.1.6 :)

+1, I've been able to do that for a while now, rotating the phone to go fullscreenmode, but I like the ability to play in portrait mode while still seeing the video details, related videos and comments.

Big Fate

Reaction score
I was just saying the other day, man they need to update Youtube. Thats so wack that you can't comment on the videos... Good looking out for the news

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Yeah, the updated UI was available a while ago. For some reason, for me at least, I never got an official update notification. It might be because of my root, but I stumbled upon Youtube in the market and instead of it saying "Installed" it said "Free." So I downloaded it and voila!

The new UI is very nice though, and the newest update which allows you to comment within the app is awesome! My Droid X gets better and better each day it seems.