New to Droid, Need advice for rooting

Suikurai

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the droid community and just received my Motorola droid a few days ago. I've been reading up on rooting it for a while now but have found the many different sources of information a bit overwhelming.

My Moto droid (1st version) came stock with firmware version 2.1-update1, build ese81. Should I update to version 2.2 ota and then root my droid or go about things a different way? I've found many different guides but could someone direct me to one that fits my situation. Thank you for anyone who can help!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum! Seeing as you're currently on 2.1, my advice would be to start from there and find a comprehensive guide.

There ARE several options/opinions/ways, but the best advice I can offer is to pick ONE guide, read through it fully, post questions if you have them, and be sure to follow every step fully.

Emitted from X.

OP
S

Suikurai

Reaction score
Would this one suffice?

Thank you for the response.

I was looking at this as a potential guide since my phone keeps saying "system update is ready to install":
Another Android 2.2 FRG22D Rooting Method for the Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

It seems straightforward enough. However, I am to understand that frg22d is the same thing as the update I would be receiving OTA?

If I were to take your advice, would u happen to have a link for a comprehensive guide?

Are there any advantages to doing it one way or another?

[Edit]

I'm actually reading over this one right now. Is this what you were referring to as "comprehensive"?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

I see that it was posted in late August so I hope it's still relevant...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Being that you're posting here on df, I reccomend the second one...rooting d1 regardless of os, because that's in the rescue squad section. We maintain that area and make sure those guides stay current. As well, we offer a LOT of help in that section, so you're already in the ring place if you're using a guide on this site in our section.

Emitted from X.

OP
S

Suikurai

Reaction score
Excellent! The guide was very helpful. I got it in one shot. Now that I've rebooted, I downloaded a rom (Cyannogen) and am about to install it. : )