New Razr Maxx HD Feels slow.. Broken?

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a Razr Maxx HD full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited data and I couldnt stand the horrendous battery life on my Galaxy Nexus. I am loving the phone so far. The build quality is great, love having a SD card again, and the battery is just insane.

One big problem though. The phone feels noticeably slower than my Nexus. There is a lot of noticeable lag when switching between screens and in apps sometimes. It routinely has to redraw the homescreen when exiting apps. I really feel like this phone should be at least as snappy as my stock Nexus. As it stands, it feels like I'm using a phone from two generations ago with the stuttering and lag. I ran benchmarks and it seems like the phone is working fine in that regard, but general use isnt as fast as I'd expect.

I have tried doing a factory reset and even using the phone with stock Jelly Bean feels sluggish.

Is this just how the phone is or does it sound like I got a lemon? Thinking about trying to exchange for a new one or return it. I LOVE the battery life and construction, but this lag is a deal-breaker.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Although, I do not have the HD, I did have the razr maxx and knowing that the HD has a better processor and is more the phone than the og razr's, I guarantee you that you should be experiencing no lag at all. That thing should be snappier than your fingers can snap. My Razr Maxx never lagged.... I can't even picture it. There is definitely something going on with the phone.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Well not necessarily... how many home screens do you have? Are they full of widgets? I do notice swiping right to get to the quick settings lags every time.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oops, sorry... I spoke too soon. I was basing my answer solely on my experience with my og razr maxx... with almost 200 apps, 5 homescreens and at least 10 widgets, that thing seemed like lightning to me.

What is interesting is that my Razr M has gotten laggy. It was not at all for the first couple months but is now. It drives me crazy because it seems like such an outdated thing to deal with. I have cleared cache and fdr but still am getting lag. I actually was just accepting that this phone was not made to take all of the things I throw at it and add to it like my og razr could.

HeavyC

Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on this as I am experiencing the same problems as the OP. I've had the Maxx HD since launch and it has run PERFECTLY until Jelly Bean. Since the OTA, it has become considerably slower, and the homescreen redraws constantly when unlocking the phone or exiting any app. It NEVER did this with ICS, so it shouldn't matter how many widgets or homescreens I have running. I have been contemplating a factory reset, but the OP mentioned that it didn't fix his problems. I'm strongly considering reverting back to ICS.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, so jumping on here even though mine is only an M but I first did a second fdr shortly JB (the first was because I always do one with every os update) because it was not responding the same. I actually want blaming it on JB but, now that I think of it, it was right after JB.

I am only speculating here, but I wonder how much Google now has to do with it. Another thread talks about GN doing some active process like 30 times in 13 minutes (don't remember exactly how much but it seemed ridiculous). If GN is so busy keeping track of everything we do and everything we are going to do, then maybe that's too much strain and is causing the lag.

Caesars

Reaction score
My maxx seemed kind of slow for day to day use as well..but that battery! Lol

Anyway, this note seems fast and no lag ;)

Return of the Android

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I did a FDR after the jellybean update just for the heck of it, and don't notice all the redraw you are talking about. The only time I see it is in quick settings... I also haven't set up or used GN yet... so I can't say anything about that.

OP
C

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Well not necessarily... how many home screens do you have? Are they full of widgets? I do notice swiping right to get to the quick settings lags every time.

I have 3 screen full of icons and the only widget is the circles widget. I basically am running the same apps as I had on my Nexus. Never once did I see the Nexus redraw or anything. It's always been smooth as butter. That's why I was suprised with the Razr HD having trouble redrawing homescreens and lagging between animations and such.

EDIT:
I did just go to the store and return it. I wanted to do an exchange, but the Verizon guy said I only get one exchange or return. I didnt want to exchange it and still have the same problem. Maybe Ill go buy another one in a few days and see if I like it.. and if not, return that one lol.

Last edited:

HeavyC

Reaction score
I did a FDR after the jellybean update just for the heck of it, and don't notice all the redraw you are talking about. The only time I see it is in quick settings... I also haven't set up or used GN yet... so I can't say anything about that.

A data reset is probably the best answer, I just worry since the OP said it didn't help the problem. I also wanted to avoid that, as it took forever to set the phone up how I like it. Also, with no root or Mass Storage option, it will take a lot to backup my internal data.

pblakk

Reaction score
Mine got very laggy on ICS after a few weeks of use. I rebooted it a few times and it improved a lot but got laggy again. Anyway loading JB worked well, immediately noticed it was snappier. So I did a factory reset and it's better yet. On the managing pages screen it does stutter still though. Otherwise a very good improvement with JB. But chrome gets laggy still and is annoying when scrolling around. Kinda disappointed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
A data reset is probably the best answer, I just worry since the OP said it didn't help the problem. I also wanted to avoid that, as it took forever to set the phone up how I like it. Also, with no root or Mass Storage option, it will take a lot to backup my internal data.

If you put the phone in MTP mode and plug it in.. it basically works as Mass Storage. You can open internal and external cards and move files.

713King

Reaction score
I have the same Problem and not only that but I have a lot of problems with calls. With my Nexus I would be able to receive clear calls on the 39-45th floor at my work and now they either lose signal or they all sound choppy with RAZR Maxx HD. To top it off I get no good connection to my works WiFi it constantly disconnects from it etc even after unchecking the "Disconnect if weak signal." This phone pisses me off I just want to throw it in the ground and stomp on it, that's how frustrating it is with lag, weak signal and crap WiFi connection. Should I do a warranty exchange with Verizon? Also If I bought this phone from a family member that is on a different account I can still do a exchange with Verizon right?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, as long as the phone is still under warranty (less than a year old), then Verizon will still cover it.

tj1772

Reaction score
Most of the times lags are caused by rogue apps. Try doing a factory reset without restoring your apps. Go for a couple of days. If this doesn't solve your issues than it's probably hardware related. At that point you have to exchange.