Will the razr maxx hd get rooted

goffredo

Reaction score
RAZR MAXX HD root works using djrbliss method on XDA.
Interesting.

Then, is there any reason to wait for the Developer's Edition for this phone? I mean, is there any benefit to having an "officially" unlocked bootloader? For example, let's say you have two devices:

- RAZR Maxx HD
- RAZR Maxx HD, Developer's Edition

Then you root both devices using the same djrbliss symbolic link exploit. In terms of supporting OTA upgrades, which is the part where you can get yourself intro trouble when it comes to rooting (well other than bricking your phone during the root process, or installing root-only apps that mess stuff up), there is really no advantage to the DE, as far as I can tell. IN fact, the DE has a marked disadvantage in that it comes fresh out of the box without any warranty. On the normal, non-DE edition, there is a warranty, and so I presume you can restore the factory firmware and send it back to Verizon if, say, the speaker stops working under the warranty period. But if you tried this with the DE, they'd just kind of laugh at you.

If this is true, I'll just buy the regular edition. Either way, I'm paying full retail price, because this is the only way I can keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Man these forums are so useful!

dan.dar

Reaction score
Root works, but the bootloader is still locked. It's still possible to load custom roms but not kernels or radio (from what I understand).

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root works, but the bootloader is still locked. It's still possible to load custom roms but not kernels or radio (from what I understand).

So far we have root. Once the safestrap/kexec devs get a hold of the HD we should see a recovery and then ROM dev. Its a start. Hopefully this phone gets a lot attention.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

goffredo

Reaction score

So let me see if I follow. If the device is rooted, then it means it applications that need root access are able to run -- such as most wifi tether apps. But it's not possible to re-flash the radio with anything other than official Verizon-approved stuff.

If that's the case, then I don't really need a developer's edition. I really just need to be able to install applications that require root access. Sounds like a trip to the Verizon store is in turn!

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So let me see if I follow. If the device is rooted, then it means it applications that need root access are able to run -- such as most wifi tether apps. But it's not possible to re-flash the radio with anything other than official Verizon-approved stuff.

If that's the case, then I don't really need a developer's edition. I really just need to be able to install applications that require root access. Sounds like a trip to the Verizon store is in turn!

root just gives you read/write permissions to the /system/ partition, this is where the OS resides and its applications.

with an unlocked bootloader you get access to boot, kernel, and other partitions that allow you to flash custom kernels which are pieces of software that tell the hardware how to work with the /system/ OS. This opens up a whole new world because instead of having access to just /system/ which is strictly software level, you now have access to the hardware level and can make the hardware work how you want it to. This is a loose example but should help you understand.