Droid Razr Maxx HD wall/USB Charger

henryzajac

Reaction score
I received my Droid Razr Maxx HD today. The wall/USB Charger is only 6 feet long. I need something longer. Can I use my charger from my old Droid Razr Maxx? I'm afraid of screwing up the battery.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Check the output of the one that came with the HD and the one from the RAZR. Should be on the charger head somewhere. If they are comparable then you should be fine.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The RAZR MAXX has a 750ma charger and the RMHD has a 1150ma. It will charge albeit a little slower. Why not just use the cable and the HD charger?

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
H

henryzajac

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So, I can plug my old razr maxx USB cord into the rmhd USB wall outlet even though the longer razr maxx USB cord is significantly thinner than the USB rmhd cord.
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your help

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So, I can plug my old razr maxx USB cord into the rmhd USB wall outlet even though the longer razr maxx USB cord is significantly thinner than the USB rmhd cord.
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your help

I'm going to have to check the thickness in the cables tomorrow. This I didn't notice. I do prefer the lower charging rate due to heat build up in the battery.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
H

henryzajac

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I don't care if it takes longer to charge or not. My only concern and worry is would the battery be damaged or not as effective as it should be if I use the razr maxx USB cord instead of using the rnhd cord? I truly appreciate all of your help. All this battery stuff is really confusing to me.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The chip in the battery controls all the charging info to the wall wart. I like the longer charge cycles myself, less heat.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I received my Droid Razr Maxx HD today. The wall/USB Charger is only 6 feet long. I need something longer. Can I use my charger from my old Droid Razr Maxx? I'm afraid of screwing up the battery.

The longer charging cable is fine. I use a longer/smaller cable with no issues.
Most likely the wire inside is the same size, the outer jacket is just thicker for durability.
there is a limit to how long a cable you can use though, I would guess, without doing a bunch of calculating, not over 8-10 feet max. At some point if its too long, you will have too much voltage drop to charge the battery properly.

Sent From My RMHD

jfriend33

Reaction score

I am wondering which charger you have. The factory charger that is included with the Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD is 42" long from the end of the dual usb wall plug to my phone. I notice a HUGE difference in charge times on this phone when using other chargers. My 1 amp Verizon Galaxy Nexus charger takes an extra hour to fully charge my phone. My roommate has a Razr Maxx non HD and her 750MA charger takes even longer. And the problem with finding the exact same charger as this online is annoying. I would say your best bet, if money is no object to you, I would buy a charger directly from motorola. Then connect that to a short extension cord. I've tried using USB extension cables and that has either made my touch screen act funny, or make the charger overheat and charge slow. The big battery in this phone is very very very important. Avoid using car chargers at all cost if you can.