New Poster with good information

droiduserlv702

Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to say that I really enjoy this site and have been a long time reader of the posts with this being my 1st post.

Just wondering if everyone realized that per the FCC ruling against Verizon a month or so ago, the built in hotspot feature on smartphones will now work at no charge.

In the ruling as long as you are on a limited data plan you can use your built in wifi hotspot feature and not be charged for it. I own a bionic non rooted running the ICS leak and it works fine for me. I use to be on the Unlimited data plan, however, I found that switching to the 12GB shared data saved me about $40/mo and I was only averaging about 8-9GB/month usage and I don't have home internet(saving $50/mo) as I have always used Foxfi to get free wifi. The downside was that Foxfi didn't work on all devices so now that problem is fixed by using your phones built in wifi hotspot feature.

I hope this is helpful information to non high usage data consumers that would like to have hotspot available to them whereever they have phone service. If this is old information I do apologize for the duplicate post. Keep up all the good posts and have a great day!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DroidForums droiduserlvr. Our news man and editor in chief, dgstorm, did post an article regarding that ruling. None the less, it is great info and good to hear first hand how well it is working. Thank you! Keep sharing and welcome aboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

robert70

Reaction score
So are you saying I can't use it with unlimited data? Or are you saying you dropped to the teired plan because you didn't use as much as you thought you did and are just saving yourself some coin?

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Welcome to the forum droiduserlv702!

So are you saying I can't use it with unlimited data? Or are you saying you dropped to the teired plan because you didn't use as much as you thought you did and are just saving yourself some coin?

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

droiduserlv702 is saying both of those things. The hotspot feature is only free for those on a tiered data plan. If you have an unlimited plan, you still have to pay for it.

For some people who don't use extremely large amounts of data, including droiduserlv702, switching to a tiered plan can potentially save money, depending on the plan a person has and what he/she might need. droiduserlv702 found that a tiered plan would save money and provide the free hotspot, so it was a good route to take. It's not necessarily a good route for everyone, but it's not bad for many people.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome aboard :)