New OTA for Verizon GS3

debrad0307

Reaction score
Raw Dodge said:
Why would anyone want this upgrade anyway, it kills some of your search ability as well as add bloat and more Verizon crap that let's them take over your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No.. it doesn't "add more bloatware or Verizon crap". And no.. they can't "take over your phone" I think that maybe you should do some research on it. Talk to someone who actually took the update.. notice that? I said UPDATE. not upgrade. Get it together.

kparks

Reaction score
debrad0307 said:
No.. it doesn't "add more bloatware or Verizon crap". And no.. they can't "take over your phone" I think that maybe you should do some research on it. Talk to someone who actually took the update.. notice that? I said UPDATE. not upgrade. Get it together.

The update does add remote access to ur device and that's something I don't want and u will lose some features.. I keep deferring it but it keeps bugging me to update it and it's really annoying.. anyway to just permanently cancel it??

Raw Dodge

Reaction score

I call remote access bloatware, and it is also a way for them to take over your device... Add the removes search features and I stand by my statement, who pissed in your cheerios....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

skennelly

Reaction score
The update does add remote access to ur device and that's something I don't want and u will lose some features.. I keep deferring it but it keeps bugging me to update it and it's really annoying.. anyway to just permanently cancel it??

I wondered the same thing. On my old Motorola phone their was an updater apk that could be frozen or renamed. I couldn't find a system app that even looked remotely close to that.

If anyone figures it out, please share.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Parzec

Reaction score
kparks said:

Freeze both FWupdate and SDM to stop the update nags.

skennelly

Reaction score

Thanks. I had just renamed the fwupdate and tried tried checking for new software and it said I was up to date.

Side note : I woke up around 2am to use the restroom and wondered why my phone was in clockwork recovery. Obviously it already tried to install the update, but failed. Damn you verizon, you sneaky b*st*rds! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I see how to force stop, but is that the same as freezing? I don't want this update, but i just walked into my office and it was downloading without my permission. I already rejected it once, but now it asks for a time to try again. What do I do. I surely don't want Verizon to have remote access to my phone. That seems on the verge of criminal.

Parzec

Reaction score
skennelly said:
Thanks. I had just renamed the fwupdate and tried tried checking for new software and it said I was up to date.

Side note : I woke up around 2am to use the restroom and wondered why my phone was in clockwork recovery. Obviously it already tried to install the update, but failed. Damn you verizon, you sneaky b*st*rds! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535

Same thing happened to me! Fortunately clockworkmod stopped the actual update.

Parzec

Reaction score
Rageboardr said:
I see how to force stop, but is that the same as freezing? I don't want this update, but i just walked into my office and it was downloading without my permission. I already rejected it once, but now it asks for a time to try again. What do I do. I surely don't want Verizon to have remote access to my phone. That seems on the verge of criminal.

Not the same..freezing actually disables the app so it won't be started by the system again. Force stop just terminates the current instance of the app, but can still be initiated again by the os. To freeze you must be rooted...then use the "root uninstall" app from the playstore to freeze those apps. (Freeze is like the disable function under ICS but allows you to disable system apps)

Fumbles93

Reaction score
huskur said:
If you previously updated your baseband the OTA will fail. You will need to go back to the original baseband and then accept the OTA.

How do you check this to make sure? My sister rooted her s3 when she first got it and then unrooted to take the update, but now it fails and gives a 402 error.

She rooted through Odin and unrooted through SuperOneClick (as a last-ditch effort since she couldn't find a way to unroot it). No custom roms or anything like that..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Droid Forums

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Not the same..freezing actually disables the app so it won't be started by the system again. Force stop just terminates the current instance of the app, but can still be initiated again by the os. To freeze you must be rooted...then use the "root uninstall" app from the playstore to freeze those apps. (Freeze is like the disable function under ICS but allows you to disable system apps)
that's pretty much what i thought. so am i doomed to either refuse this every day or accept it. not planning to root any time soon. i hear this might improve 4g signals. haven't had any signal problem, but i am looking for a silver lining to being forced to accept this. is there any other benefit?

JRParsons

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a thing. I'm pretty sure that Verizon only has remote access to your phone with your permission, and probably a court order from a government agency.
In practice, I believe if you are on the phone or chatting with support you can allow them to "enter" your phone and identify or correct whatever it is that is causing you grief.
As far as the access via court order. Well don't put incriminating stuff on your phone.

To each his own, but personally I doubt very much that Verizon is going to single me out and check what I'm doing with my phone, they have 101,100,000.00 other customers, I'm really not that important to them.