Newest GS3 owner :)

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So excited! Bought a white 16gb GS3 yesterday off a guy on Craigslist...turns out I've worked with him on his account through VZW at Costco lol, small world! Anyway, I'm psyched to have this phone. I'm a little worried about the battery life though, but I think it's just because it's the newness of the phone and getting everything set up the way I want it. Hopefully I'll be able to get it settled in a few days.

Question: I use Handcent and disabled the stock messaging app thinking that Handcent would then show up on the lock screen shortcut, and it's not there. How can I get it there? Also, I need to root and get hotspot access so any links to the best tutorial would be greatly appreciated :)

Any suggestions on apps or settings I should take into consideration? Is keeping NFC enabled when I'm not using it going to affect battery life like having wifi/gps/bluetooth on when not in use?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
u lucky thing u! congrats.. how much did it run... I messaged someone on cl yesterday to buy it but it must've sold :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GoBears

Reaction score
Just like me you're coming from a Maxx so the battery is going to seem bad but it's really rather good. I get over 4 hours screen time a charge in LTE condtions so I'm pretty happy. As far as the lockscreen shortcuts they are in settings - security - lockscreen options. Enjoy!

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
sweeeeet said:
u lucky thing u! congrats.. how much did it run... I messaged someone on cl yesterday to buy it but it must've sold :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I got it for $400 with another 16gb sd card. Would have preferred to get the one advertised for $350, but she backed out.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to get in and change the data connection to 3g only? I had LTE on/of for HTC Thunderbolt on my Mac but it won't work on this one.

GoBears

Reaction score
I tried Foxfi, and it wouldn't work, even with the extra download

Wonder why it's not working for you. I'm using it as I type this. Hmm well good luck with your hotspot hunt! Wish I could help ya more on it.

Wopback

Reaction score
Download "phone info" for choosing network. It works great.

Handcent can b added to lock screen under lock screen options

Security- lock screen options- click on short cuts

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wopback said:
Download "phone info" for choosing network. It works great.

Handcent can b added to lock screen under lock screen options

Security- lock screen options- click on short cuts

Got it, thanks! So much better now that I'm on 3G. Costco has TERRIBLE 4G service :(

Just got notification that my purple Otterbox shipped :) I'm hoping the power button is manageable (reviews are pretty negative about the button)

Wopback

Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
Got it, thanks! So much better now that I'm on 3G. Costco has TERRIBLE 4G service :(

Just got notification that my purple Otterbox shipped :) I'm hoping the power button is manageable (reviews are pretty negative about the button)

Glad you like it. Another app ive recommended is watchdog lite. Its an app that monitors your phone cpu/ram. It makes sure nothing is misbehaving.

Its not a task killer, but can perform similar functions if you want...