New member here

numb1zero

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I live in tennessee which is as bland as you could imagine. My primary interest lies with the automove industry. Currently working at the nissan manufacturing plant as a repair technician. Currently driving a 2008 Mustang SVT supercharged 4.2l i6 and working on a '67 chevelle ss n/a 396 v8 as well as my wife's '07 hyundai tiburon 2.0 i4 (ecomodding).
I've been using the Droid2 now for about 6 months and absolutely love it. I've previously been attached to the motorola krzr (for physical form and reliability) and the sony ericcson c905 (for photography capabilities) but wanted the capability of a smart phone with full web access, etc. Tried the HTC kaizer for a while but while the construction of the device was most impressive, windows mobile was a miserable dissapointment. With Android, I can do just about everything I want/need to do on the go and the droid2 is the perfect hardware companion for google's masterful OS for me so far. The physical keyboard is crucial to me and this phone delivers.
I'm currently using GDE home replacement and look forward to further customization with the help of this community.
I enjoy not having to "hack" the device to allow not official app instilation etc as I've had to do in the past with devices such as the sony psp.
I am proficient in photoshop, fruity loops, and more and hope to use what I know to give back to the community that has already provided me many answers through guest browsing.
They call me Zero and I will be happy to help with anything I can.
Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself, ill see you all in the forums :)

-Zero

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jchammer123

Reaction score
Welcome to the community! You said you like that you don't have to hack your phone to do some things you want. However, do you plan on rooting your phone?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Glad you joined us. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! I have briefly looked into rooting for tethering but haven't come across many advantages worth the complications of backing up the stock os and all that. Totally open to rooting but like I'm probably just uneducated as to what a rooted phone can do vs stock. Any information is well appreciated!

jchammer123

Reaction score
Spending some time on this site will definitely make you want to root your phone! The thing that I love the most about being rooted is having complete control of my phone! There are so many rom developers out there that have done amazing work and far surpased the capabilties of the stock os. When you install some of these roms you realize how much more smooth, faster, and more customizeable they are! Just research for a bit and you'll see its not nearly as complicated as it sounds!

jchammer123

Reaction score
Also, I'm with you on the love for the automotive industry! I'm an ex Nissan mechanic myself!

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, if a smoother responding os is what id be getting id certainly like to look into it. I'm not a fan of the delayed response I get from screen taps on this device from time to time (ie swipe from one home screen to the next...wait a few seconds and swipe again only for it to move over 2 screens after 5-10 seconds)

jchammer123

Reaction score
I agree! Plus you'll be able to overclock your phone reaching its full speed potential. A stock d1 ran at 250mhz, I have mine overclocked to 1.2ghz! BIG advantage!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Zero some pics of your chevelle would be great. I am a muscle car nut on the side. :D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
aefc9143-3bd9-75a7.jpg

Always nice to find a fellow fan :)
I wanted this car to be more nostalgic of the muscle days than custom.

As far as overclocking goes, those numbers are impressive but how is the battery drain as well as potential long term physical damage to the board?

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
Battery life is fairly close to what it was. You don't have to go that high. I have chargers everywhere so its not a big deal, but I still go all day on a charge. As far as damage, it hasn't done any at all! This is pretty standard to install these kernels on our phones. My phone is almost two years old and the battery health is still great and the phone still operates incredibly.
By the way, beautiful Chevelle!

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
thanks! glad you like. i just rooted but dont know where to start as far as overclocking. just found the superuser app and dont know how to do anything with it yet but ill do some research here and let yall know how it goes. any tips or links would be well appreciated :)

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
The superuser app really just tells you your rooted. Search this site for some popular roms for your phone. Some roms have overclocking and wifi tether built in. Rom manager is a good app to make backups and install kernels and roms. SetCPU and Droid Overclock are good apps if you just want to overclock. Also, there are wifi tether apps in the market. I'll get you some links to help research,