New member here

jchammer123

Reaction score
Also, make sure you make a backup before you install any rom or kernel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Sounds simple enough. Backup first (using titanium?)
Then find custom rom that includes wifi tethering and overclocking options.
Can do :)

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
Here are some links.
Liberty Rom (very popular) The maker of this rom is incredible (jrummy)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...an-one-giant-leap-liberty-1-5-2-2-2011-a.html

Apex is another popular rom
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ap...-droid-2-refinement-ease-use-2-22-2011-a.html

Heres a few reasons to root your phone
Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

Also Jrummy has some good apps in the market as well- Droid Overclock and Root Tools.

Search for Rom Manager in the market- Free and Premium (Premium recommended but not necessary)

Before you install roms you need a recovery. Did you flash a recovery yet? Rom Manager makes you flash ClockworkMod Recovery, which in my opinion is the easiest.

jchammer123

Reaction score
Sounds simple enough. Backup first (using titanium?)
Then find custom rom that includes wifi tethering and overclocking options.
Can do :)

-Zero
via DROID2

Don't backup with titanium, that's just for you apps. For your first time use Rom Manager. You backup the rom using the backup and restore option. This way, if something goes wrong you can just restore the backup. Or you can do it yourself using this guide-
How to: Create a Full Nandroid Backup on a DROID X - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Ok rom manager. Ill get titanium in addition too it for the apps. thank you all for being so helpful :)

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
No problem! With Titanium, when you restore apps+data, do not restore anything in red. Green is your user data (contacts, bookmarks, sms, etc.) And the white is your apps+data. I don't use Titanium anymore since I run Gingerbread roms, sometimes it causes issues. Google automatically backs up your apps and installs them on the new rom, just not the data.

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Ok good to know. I'm having trouble within rom manager. I ran the clockwork flash thing and did a backup of current rom but when I choose select rom, pick the apex rom I downloaded, it asks me if I want to backup and/or wipe so I check both and it reboots but then nothing happens at all... could it be because my battery is about 20% right now (its on the charger)

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
Actually, I believe that it could be your battery. I hope I'm not making things complicated for you but sometimes Rom Manager goofs up installing roms. I've found that installing roms manually works better. I use Rom Manager to make backups and restore backups and install kernels. If you already created a backup, you don't need to make another one when you install the rom but definitely wipe. If you cant get it to work, I can give you a step by step guide to install the rom manually.

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
I think that's what I need, id greatly appreciate it

-Zero
via DROID2

Edit: my battery is fully charged and rom manager is still failing to do... anything lol. I searched for a manual flashing guide but only found how to get to recovery mode and I don't know how to use recovery mode at all :p

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Love the car (!!!!). We are a helpful bunch. I'm a nissan fanatic, so I'm interested in what the plant does. If you can't speak here, a pm maybe?

Have fun!

jchammer123

Reaction score
This is how to do everything via ClockworkMod Recovery. Before you do anything I would reflash ClockworkMod Recovery through Rom Manager, just for the hell of it. That could be part of the problem.

Make a backup-
Power off your phone. Then slide open the keyboard and hold X and Power at the same time. Once the Motorola icon comes up you can let go of Power but keep holding X. It will come up with a black screen with Green letters and say ClockworkMod Recovery at the top. Scroll down to Nandroid using the volume buttons. Once on Nandroid, hit the Camera button to select. Go to backup and hit Camera button again. It might have a bunch of "No's" and one "Yes", just scroll down to yes and enter. Let it do its thing. Once it's done, hit the power button to go back to the main menu. From there you can reboot the phone or continue flashing a rom. To restore a backup, do the same thing, but instead of selecting backup, you'll hit restore.

Flashing a rom-
Find the rom you want via Droid Forums. Download the rom to your computer. Do not unzip or rename or do anything to it. Move the download to the desktop on your computer. Plug your phone into the computer, pull down the notification bar and select USB connected to transfer files from your computer to your phone. A box on your computer should pop up. Select open folder to view files. When it opens you should be able to see everything that's on your SD Card. Drag and drop the rom directly on your SD Card, make sure it's not in any folder!!! Once it finishes transfering the information you can unplug your phone. Power off and boot into recovery like you did to make a backup. First, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache), then go into the partitions menu and format boot, then format system, then go to the advanced menu and Wipe Dalvik Cache. Press the Power key to get back to the main ClockwordMod menu, scroll down to install zip from sd card, then choose zip from sdcard, then navigate to the directory where you stored the ROM zip file. Select the file and watch it install! After this, press power to get back to the main menu and select reboot. Once it boots up you can try to use Titanium, or just wait for Google to install your apps. You will have to activate your phone and sync your accounts but it doesn't take long. It's basically like starting with a new phone. A second reboot once everything is done is recommended.

You would basically do these same steps for kernels unless you use rom manager.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's very simple and actually a lot of fun learning this stuff about your phone (for me anyway, lol). Let me know if you have any questions!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think those directions work the same for the Droid 2. Which is the model he owns.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
N

numb1zero

Reaction score
Thanks! Ill try those steps now and see what happens. I hope they're close enough to the d2 that I can figure out what differences may exsist :)

-Zero
via DROID2

jchammer123

Reaction score
It was pretty much the same on a friends D2, so I think you should be fine.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App