New droid user looking for knowledge!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If so then try flashing 'Alternate Recovery' at the bottom of RomMahnager (SPRecovery 0.99.3b)..then flash back to ClockWork 2.5.0.1

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok I need to take a step back in order to go forward here cause my mind isn't connecting A to B. Let me ask you a few questions. Did you ever actually download a ROM from the internet? Did you put it on the root of your SD card? Did you rename it to update.zip?
He's just trying to make a backup first

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Ya i tried making the backup in the ROM manager, and it brought me to the clockworkmod recovery

Personally, I am not a huge fan of ROM Manager, although I do use it to flash between bootloaders.

I use SP Recovery which, in ROM manager, down at the bottom it says "Alternate Recovery" That's SP.

Which ever one you choose, just flash it 3 times to make sure everything is taken care of.

As far as installing stuff, I actually turn the phone off, open up the slider, hold down X and then while holding down X I hold down the power button till I see the M logo. I then let go and the bootloader comes up.
so i did it 3 times like you said and now its working, its making the backup right now, so as far as Roms go and kernels what is reccommended for the moto droid, or what will make this thing unstoppable?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
LMAO... all that because a little bit of code was sticking around from only 1 flash. OK.. now moving forward :)

Let's let that get done and while you are waiting go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ms-kernels-baseband-updates-source-leaks.html and see what ROM you want.

I will tell you that what I see alot is JRummys Lithium Mod, Sapphire, Bugless Beast (what I use), Ultimate Droid, Cyanogen and the occasonal Liquid Frozen Yogurt and SUcculent Desire.

But keep in mind my usage pattern on this board would/may/may not be different if I were running something besides the BB and that list might be different.

Last edited:
OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
WOW ok, backup complete, all that for just a backup! alright see im a fast learner! right? lmao, well i feel like im learning, so its rebooted with the backup. whats the next step?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ya i tried making the backup in the ROM manager, and it brought me to the clockworkmod recovery

Personally, I am not a huge fan of ROM Manager, although I do use it to flash between bootloaders.

I use SP Recovery which, in ROM manager, down at the bottom it says "Alternate Recovery" That's SP.

Which ever one you choose, just flash it 3 times to make sure everything is taken care of.

As far as installing stuff, I actually turn the phone off, open up the slider, hold down X and then while holding down X I hold down the power button till I see the M logo. I then let go and the bootloader comes up.
so i did it 3 times like you said and now its working, its making the backup right now, so as far as Roms go and kernels what is reccommended for the moto droid, or what will make this thing unstoppable?
Perfect... BB v0.4, Sapphire v1.0, or Chevy's Simply Stunning are all good ROMs... then try out different themes for each, with different kernels...

remember, wipe data when changing ROMs, but no need to wipe when changing themes and kernels.
Also, only use themes and kernels that are compatible to the particular ROM you are running...

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Ive heard of Sapphire v1.0 now to overclock to saw 1gigahertz or 900 megahertz what is the process of that?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Forgot about seeing Simply Stunning a lot.. my apologies for not including it Chevy1 (if you ever even read this thread)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Couple of tips about changing ROMs... You will need to resync with your GMail account to reload your contacts and apps.
And if you need to update your Baseband then you'd need to reactivate *228 afterwards, no worries though since it's a pretty simple process.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ive heard of Sapphire v1.0 now to overclock to saw 1gigahertz or 900 megahertz what is the process of that?

Slow down man, you can't do it all in 10 minutes :)

Pick a ROM 1st. It's good to do this and use it for awhile (couple hours, day, week) to see how the ROM effects your phone and how you use it.

ANd by the way, most of those ROM's are already running between 800mhz and 1Ghz as is.

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Forgot about seeing Simply Stunning a lot.. my apologies for not including it Chevy1 (if you ever even read this thread)
lol i read that, i still cant seem to find one that i want, i dont understand the whole process of changing the rom, mu build number says
"simpleROM 1.0"
so im guessing this is basic stuff i want some intense stuff for this phone, and id like it to be fast, so as long as i can still use all my apps i have and make it better it doesnt matter what i put on it... reccommendations?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
First, Open RM (obviously)

Depending on whether or not it's been used before, you may have to select the option at the top "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". If that's the case it's pretty cut and dry, just let it do it's thing.

After that the most important step is: SELECT BACKUP CURRENT ROM!!!! Name it what ever you like and hit OK. Let it do it's thing. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!! If something happens when flashing this ROM this backup is you fail-safe!!!!

Then:

1) Select Download ROM

2) From there you'll see a list of developers. Select which one you want, Ill use Sapphire 1.0 as an example because, well, I am bias :biggrin:
SO, the dev of Sapphire is cvpcs.

3) After selecting the dev, you'll see a list of their current ROMS (most recent at the top). So, in this case select Sapphire 1.0.0

4) It'll run through a list of extras. As my personal rule of thumb I try not to do to much at once when flashing a ROM for the first time. In other words, no theme, stock kernel, etc. So, at the kernel choice just hit OK. Theme, select stock. Now, ROM addons - you need Google Apps (market, gmail, etc). The "enable stagefright" has to do with streaming audio quality and Froyo (2.2). If you stream music a lot select it, if not you may not need it.

5) Let it all download.

6) After it's done a box will pop up - you'll have to select wipe data/cache (you may want to backup all you're apps prior to any of this, sorry I forgot to mention that at the top. Appbrain is good for that or Astro file manager has a backup apps feature too). You won't need to backup cuz you did that already. Hit OK and away you go!!

7) After it's done you'll have to activate the phone again and your apps should reinstall from the market. If not, that's where the backups come in play.

I recommend after you get everything back and running (apps installed, home screens setup, wall paper applied, etc.) you make another backup with RM! Remember, these backups may say your a$$ one day :)

Typically I'll run a ROM for a couple of days before trying to install a theme or a kernel. This way you have a feel for the ROM, then if you intstall a kernel and things act weird, it's a safe bet it's the kernel and not the ROM.

I know it seems overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it. The hardest part is jumping into it the first time. But, if you do get stuck there is always a way around it and theses forums are GREAT!

You can use these steps for Sapphire 1.0.0 and it's already overclocked at 1.0Ghz

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
ok perfect, ill choose one and stick with it, now with the wiping my stuff, just hit clear? and bam install a new rom and im good?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Time to go get lunch. I'll be watching on my phone to see how he did. I like his enthusiasm.