New droid user looking for knowledge!

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Hey how are you im new to the whole droid world and new to this site, I currently have a rooted device, i had some one else put froyo on my device, so its rooted, i think. i want to look into putting custom ROMs on it, BUt i dont know exactly what they do, or how much better my device can run. or custom programs or phone applications. I'm hearing so much talk about all this and im a fast learner and cant seem to figure out how to install a rom. i feel like an idiot, ive never messed with phones and computers like this BUT i am computer smart. i just need a guide to get started, and then ill be ok. im totally obssed with my phone and want to make it as good as everyone else's. sooo please give me a hand here!
Thanks
:icon_ banana:Ryandancedroid

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
i had some one else put froyo on my device, so its rooted, i think. i want to look into putting

OK - first thing first, we need to know if you are indeed rooted. To do this look at you applications and see if there is a "superuser app" (black ninja icon). If you see that it means you're rooted. If you don't we'll have to get you rooted :biggrin:

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
I indeed do have the superuser app on there, so now that i know the device is rooted, what are my possibilities? like i said before i am obsessed with my phone and this is the most amazing thing that i have ever played on!

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Excellent! Now the addiction begins :)
OK - for starters, have you found a ROM that you'd like to try? Also, do have ROM Manager (an app that makes flashing ROMS easier) or SPRecovery (this would have been flashed onto the phone using RSD lite)?

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Thats where i get all messed up, i didnt put froyo on my phone so i dont know. i did just recently download the ROM manager app, but as far as SPRecovery. and honestly im so new to this whole world im not exactly sure what that actual ROMs do. i have read a lot about them, but dont know what they are made for, ive heard of many, but dont actually get it.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thats where i get all messed up, i didnt put froyo on my phone so i dont know. i did just recently download the ROM manager app, but as far as SPRecovery. and honestly im so new to this whole world im not exactly sure what that actual ROMs do. i have read a lot about them, but dont know what they are made for, ive heard of many, but dont actually get it.

Well, custom ROMS are where the devs put there own twist on a certain build and then there are source built ROMS that, from what I understand, is where the dev pretty much start from scratch and design the build from the ground up. I am still not 100% sure what the difference is, but that's not the point ... the point is you my friend need a ROM! :)
I highly recommended the one I am running now this is the most stable my phone has been in a long time. Plus, it's available on RM (ROM Manager) which will make flashing you first ROM easy.

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
OK perfect, i certianly do have an addiction here, and its bad. But my question is, if i do something to my phone, will this mess anyhting up from what the other guy did to it, its just simple froyo 2.2 nothing special, i mean i was at a ballgame yesterday with my wife, and saw this guy with his droid and his was SICK! on his home screen he had like 5 different things instead of just the 3 for phone apps and browser and he wouldnt tell me what he was running or using. and another question, if i put a custom rom on, will i be able to use EVERYTHING thats currently on my phone?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Excellent! Now the addiction begins :)
QUOTE]

Man, if I only knew about the addiction before I got the phone. Does anyone even use this thing to primarily make phone calls? Do they have DA (Droid Anonymous) in Cincinnati? :)

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
LOL i think i may need marriage counseling because of my droid! I want to make it faster and make it more efficient then it is, the droid isnt just for making phone calls, thats what the BRICKS are for, big nokia's back in the 90's are for. the droid is spectacular. im going to need to go to DA in San diego!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ryan, you can use whatever you want if you put a ROM on except a theme. Themes are ROM specific. BUt no worries, lots of themes out there for everyone.

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Ok so what about the way my phone is now, i know this process might be putting some peope through some pain, But I'd like to learn, all i have to do is put it on my SD card and istall from the ROM manager? and bam! thats it? or is there something im missing?

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
And can i uninstall just as easy? thats my question, will is mess up my OS 2.2 or is a ROM just an addon to the OS

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the 5 apps instead of three has nothing to do with the ROM, just an FYI. that guy is using a different launcher.

Like my desktop screenshot is what you mean?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ryan, yes, you can revert back. Just make a backup 1st.

As far as 2.2 is concerned, ROM's have been running 2.2 for awhile. Now this this new OTA has hit, I am sure you will be seeing updates galore from the ROM makers (trust me they work on these things fast and furious).

So, install one (or try different ones) see how you like it, customize like a madman, make sure you do backups. When a new one comes out, just install it. Nothing major once you have the jist of it under control.

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
First, Open RM (obviously)

Depending on whether or not it's been used before, you may have to select the option at the top "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". If that's the case it's pretty cut and dry, just let it do it's thing.

After that the most important step is: SELECT BACKUP CURRENT ROM!!!! Name it what ever you like and hit OK. Let it do it's thing. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!! If something happens when flashing this ROM this backup is you fail-safe!!!!

Then:

1) Select Download ROM

2) From there you'll see a list of developers. Select which one you want, Ill use Sapphire 1.0 as an example because, well, I am bias :biggrin:
SO, the dev of Sapphire is cvpcs.

3) After selecting the dev, you'll see a list of their current ROMS (most recent at the top). So, in this case select Sapphire 1.0.0

4) It'll run through a list of extras. As my personal rule of thumb I try not to do to much at once when flashing a ROM for the first time. In other words, no theme, stock kernel, etc. So, at the kernel choice just hit OK. Theme, select stock. Now, ROM addons - you need Google Apps (market, gmail, etc). The "enable stagefright" has to do with streaming audio quality and Froyo (2.2). If you stream music a lot select it, if not you may not need it.

5) Let it all download.

6) After it's done a box will pop up - you'll have to select wipe data/cache (you may want to backup all you're apps prior to any of this, sorry I forgot to mention that at the top. Appbrain is good for that or Astro file manager has a backup apps feature too). You won't need to backup cuz you did that already. Hit OK and away you go!!

7) After it's done you'll have to activate the phone again and your apps should reinstall from the market. If not, that's where the backups come in play.

I recommend after you get everything back and running (apps installed, home screens setup, wall paper applied, etc.) you make another backup with RM! Remember, these backups may say your a$$ one day :)

Typically I'll run a ROM for a couple of days before trying to install a theme or a kernel. This way you have a feel for the ROM, then if you intstall a kernel and things act weird, it's a safe bet it's the kernel and not the ROM.

I know it seems overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it. The hardest part is jumping into it the first time. But, if you do get stuck there is always a way around it and theses forums are GREAT!