frustrated new user

Mytos

Reaction score
hey, new user here, have been lurking for about a month, have posted in another thread passing out invites for gvoice and such.
am loving my new droid but am frustrated with the rooting/modding community as a whole here and on other sites. my current project is to root my 2.0.1 droid, hide the extra icons i dont need, and then install wifi tether. ive figured out how to root obviously but have not yet done so, every guide i find to build a custom recovery image is either missing information that is taken for granted by people that have been rooting since the g1 came out, or has broken links, i dont know if anyone else has gotten frustrated with this but i know its got me pulling my hair out. there is no way in hell im rooting and risking bricking my phone until i can find a decent guide to build a recovery so i can fix anything that goes wrong.

basically for the tldr im looking to root and add wifi tethering to a 2.0.1 droid but have not found any guides without broken links or omitted info, if anyone has tips on a better guide or is willing to walk me through it id be very appreciative if theyd reply here or send me a pm.

shademar

Reaction score
Perhaps if you specified what step was missing info or where you were stuck, the community would have a better time helping you?

There are numerous step-by-step guides because, in part, there are many different things people are trying to do with their phones, roms to install, and levels of comfort with the device, adb, ect. I woulnd't get mad because no one has made a "HOW TO step-by-step for newbs" thread for the specific things you want to do and only these specific things. I for one have been amazed at how helpful the community as a whole as tried to be, in spite of seeing the same questions or issues posted what must be ten times a day.

I too recommend going to rootyourdroid.info; walkthroughs on adding wifi tether, removing stock icons, and flashing sprecovery, as well as all the files needed to do so can be found there.

Good luck!

R1Lover

Reaction score
Just use the updater by camel, it has everything your looking for in one easy to use app.

I'm loving mine.

OP
M

Mytos

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, not really mad or upset, just venting frustration at going through a dozen guides with broken links in different places with steps like "do adb here" with nothing else...

ty much for the link vulcan i didnt catch that page in my search, and other than having to find a newer version of the smupdater than what was linked in the guide this seems to be working out great, ive got the phone rooted and the recovery patched, now im installing apps.

again, thanks for the tips guys, and helping to fix my frustration in making this already great phone better.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I understand your frustration, but it's not really anyone's fault here in the community.....many people are figuring these things out on their own, that's how I did, I just read everything I could find about anything and everything about this stuff....

And Droid Forums really isn't the place to be venting at either...

shademar

Reaction score
Tis true, the information here often goes obsolete in days to weeks, let alone months, and the original threads stick around forever. (Plus, alldroid went down a while back, breaking all of the old links on threads that didn't necessarily get changed to reflect this.) That being said, I think the community as a whole is really doing a great job of trying to make the process accessible to those who are interested (I say this as a first-time smartphone owner who has been amazed at how quick things get updated on the community side compared to the company side. I don't know a whole lot myself, but try and post tips on the things that I do.)

I'm glad you found what you needed, and best of luck! :D

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tis true, the information here often goes obsolete in days to weeks, let alone months, and the original threads stick around forever. (Plus, alldroid went down a while back, breaking all of the old links on threads that didn't necessarily get changed to reflect this.) That being said, I think the community as a whole is really doing a great job of trying to make the process accessible to those who are interested (I say this as a first-time smartphone owner who has been amazed at how quick things get updated on the community side compared to the company side. I don't know a whole lot myself, but try and post tips on the things that I do.)

I'm glad you found what you needed, and best of luck! :D

I wish you luck also in your journey with the DROID!! lol...But seriously, there is SO much information and some useful important files floating around these forums....and these forums are the only places you'll find these cool little goodies....so just look around learn about your Droid....

And yeah, you're also right about the progression of the community being more significant rather than the company...