New droid user looking for knowledge!

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
It was different then that, the guy was rude because i was interested in what he did to his phone, its like nothing ive seen before! and i cant find it anywhere!and his was SUPER fast, frekin CRAZY! and its killing me! and making a back up of the updatethat i did prior to the rom, like i said im new here, i have the power to learn, and im in the process of doing so, but what would you reccommend i do to make it faster, look some what better?!

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
i tried to make the backup, and it couldnt mount was the problem, i did exactly what you said, and there is already a problem, this phone wouldnt even make a backup..

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Once you make a backup of your current ROM, then you can try other custom ROMs.... wipe data and cache when changing ROMs. Then you can try different themes and overclocking kernels and see which you like and runs stable on the custom ROMs... with themes and kernels you do not have to wipe data...
travel onward ryan...lol

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It was different then that, the guy was rude because i was interested in what he did to his phone, its like nothing ive seen before! and i cant find it anywhere!and his was SUPER fast, frekin CRAZY! and its killing me! and making a back up of the updatethat i did prior to the rom, like i said im new here, i have the power to learn, and im in the process of doing so, but what would you reccommend i do to make it faster, look some what better?!

I can't recommed anything beyond what I have done because I haven't tried everything.

Tha bottom bar I setup that way, the black background doesnt have to be there. Neither do those app shortcuts, it's just what I wanted. I am using the ADW Launcher. There are many thers. Launcher Pro, Home, etc..

As far as what I am running, it's the Bugless Beast BB 0.4 running at it's standard 800mhz. Stockis 550mhz. You can change kernels to get as fast as 1.25Ghz. Can you phone handle it? Don't know, that's a circuit issue and there's only one way to find out (but you can restore if it doesnt). I have a theme on mine called red glass. I changed it but that took a whole whole lot of help and work.

With my usage, the battery makes it through an entire day, it runs pretty dang fast compared to my wifes stock Droid and it's setup how I want it ya know. Everyones different. I did upgrade the baseband as well. Went from -91dBm to -76dBm and I almost have to try to lose 3g service.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i tried to make the backup, and it couldnt mount was the problem, i did exactly what you said, and there is already a problem, this phone wouldnt even make a backup..

So you tried making the backup thru RomManager? Is ClockWorkMod flashed at the top of Rom Manager UI?

alonsou

Reaction score
OK - first thing first, we need to know if you are indeed rooted. To do this look at you applications and see if there is a "superuser app" (black ninja icon). If you see that it means you're rooted. If you don't we'll have to get you rooted :biggrin:

@ Yank

I think here is a little bit of misunderstanding, if I'm not mistaken, on the release of Ultimate Droid 5.0.1 everyone who flashed the ROM lost root access, even I did lost it, and still my SU apk was there on my drawer apps, within an hour BD came up with the patch to regain root access once again.

I will recommend just for the peace of mind to download "terminal emulator" from the market open it and type "SU" if thats the first time its being use it should ask for SuperUser access, if it goes thru then indeed you are rooted if it doesn't then you need to root my friend.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How are you trying to make a backup? I am assuming the bootloader is SP Recovery. Walk me through what you are doing.

Edit: Glad I was just assuming SP..lol

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
Ya i tried making the backup in the ROM manager, and it brought me to the clockworkmod recovery

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
When i rebooted, it said recovery failure, then the options are recover mode is "broken"
Rom manager doesnt reboot
or other.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ya i tried making the backup in the ROM manager, and it brought me to the clockworkmod recovery

Personally, I am not a huge fan of ROM Manager, although I do use it to flash between bootloaders.

I use SP Recovery which, in ROM manager, down at the bottom it says "Alternate Recovery" That's SP.

Which ever one you choose, just flash it 3 times to make sure everything is taken care of.

As far as installing stuff, I actually turn the phone off, open up the slider, hold down X and then while holding down X I hold down the power button till I see the M logo. I then let go and the bootloader comes up.

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
ok when i downloaded the ROM manager, i clicker Flash clockworkmod recovery, it said successfully flashed, then tried to make a backup, and failed.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok when i downloaded the ROM manager, i clicker Flash clockworkmod recovery, it said successfully flashed, then tried to make a backup, and failed.
ClockWorkMod is flashed to 2.5.0.1?

OP
Ryank10909

Ryank10909

Reaction score
yes it says, current recovery: clockworkmod 2.5.0.1
and under that its the latest recovery and says the same.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok I need to take a step back in order to go forward here cause my mind isn't connecting A to B. Let me ask you a few questions. Did you ever actually download a ROM from the internet? Did you put it on the root of your SD card? Did you rename it to update.zip? Did you try installing it?

I'm just trying to figure out what you have done and what you have tried in order to see where the holdup is. I now know you are running ClockWorld and using ROM manager.

Last edited: