New D2 Owner

stragabenz

Reaction score
I just got a new D2 and just need some advice on picking a ROM. I came from the OG Droid so I'm familiar with flashing ROMs and what not. I'm looking for a ROM that is stable, fast, bug free, has lots of customize options (including LED customizations) and has good choices of themes. I don't need to have gingerbread because it was very buggy on my OG Droid and I think it would be the same on the D2, plus do you guys think MotoBlur is worth keeping?

If the D2 community can give me some advice it would be much appreciated, thanks..dancedroid

DroidMakesPwn

Reaction score
Gingerbread good froyo blur bad. The best rom to date is liberty on froyo. Tons of customizations, fast, stable and has a sweet app in the market.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If your looking for a good basic android rom, with a few options such as rotary lockscreen, take a look at gummyjar 2.5. The links within the rom thread are dead but there is atleast one other mirror in the gummyjar section. Liberty was built off of gummyjar and has more options, but the stability doesn't seem to be quite as crisp as gummyjar, which as I said before, still has several options of its own. Even with the gingerbread leaks/Roms I never found a rom more stable and quicker than gummyjar. Unfortunately, the gummyjar love hasn't reached the DROID pro and realistically never will. Try them both out and see which you like better. Good luck

andyc

Reaction score
Gingerbread is pretty nice. Seems a number of people have had assorted issues but none of the problems I've encountered have been so infuriating as to make me want to immediately go back to froyo builds.

As for roms built off of froyo, I've maintained on here that Squidly's rom is the best. I've gotten consistently higher benchmark results with it than any other rom. It's clean and (obviously) smooth as hell. Squidly himself is good to answer questions if they arise. Liberty is also solid, tons of customization that's easy to manage (even for noobs), but not as smooth. If you want performance and you don't want to dick around with GB, go with Squidly.

Just be careful to remember that if you decide to install gingerbread, it's not as easy to switch between roms like you can with the multiple froyo builds. Going back to froyo (or any custom rom) from GB requires SBFing back to stock, re-rooting, etc. It'd be wise to install and back-up z4root and the d2 bootstrapper on your sdcard right away to save yourself the time in the future ;)

Also note, the bootloader on the D2 is, unlike the D1, locked, and requires a little more work to customize to your liking.

Last edited:

Thisguy89

Reaction score
Is it the Droid 2 or the Droid 2 Global?
If it's the regular 2, I highly recommend Gingerbread with ZombieStomped.
If it's the Global, your choices are more limited.

Sent from my ZombieStomped Droid 2

OP
stragabenz

stragabenz

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, it is the regular Droid 2...I tried fission and liberty and it didn't impress me much besides it being faster. Anything comparable to UD 2.5? I could almost customize everything with UD, I miss it alot.

How is zombie stomped? any major bugs? I may just wait to install a GB ROM since I just heard that Moto will release GB soon for Droid 2.

EDIT: I'm back to stock to just rooted for the time being, can I install any themes?

Last edited:

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
my 2 cents:

if you stay Froyo : Liberty is the best way to go....

if you go Ginger : 1) Zombie Stomped if you happen to want to use ginger-blur
2) Apex if you want blur-free