New Bionic owner

Millertime1223

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just purchased a Bionic and getting ready to try my hand at rooting then ICS with a little help I hope. Give a little history on my phone extravaganza this year, started off with a Droid X, then to a Samsung Fascinate, Iphone 4, back to the Fascinate(rooted with ICS) and now to the Bionic. Never realized how addictive a "stupid cell phone" could be.lol

OP
Millertime1223

Millertime1223

Reaction score
Not sure about that. All I can say is that I loved it on my Fascinate.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about rooting. Is it worth the risk?

There's a risk if you delete bloatware rather than freeze them. That's minor, but you have to find them (and reinstall them) if you want to do any OTA updates. If you freeze, you can just unfreeze them as needed. Back in the OG Droid days there was a greater risk than now.

It's worth it if you want to make extra changes (like ROMs) on your phone, or install apps that will only work on a rooted phone.

That being said, I have yet to find a reason why I should root. Why you should root is another matter.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm fairly new to rooting.... very new.. but one thing stands out to me.. don't delete apps, freeze them with titanium backup... only delete if you could do so with the device before it was rooted. :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
anymore these days there not much if any risk to rooting with all the SBF files etc. just be careful installing leaks:)

like aaf709 said the reason you root is up to you . i root to freeze or delete bloatware. and i play around with custom roms .. more often then not though i always return to stock rom .

congrats on purchase and the bionic is a great phone that often gets overlooked:)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to rooting.... very new.. but one thing stands out to me.. don't delete apps, freeze them with titanium backup... only delete if you could do so with the device before it was rooted. :)

correct . you can rename them if you desire but with all the built in memory of these phones there is not much need to delete them . I delete because i SBF before taking any OTA anyway.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Good to know... Thanx Justin