Need help with refurbished DROID x

Casen

Reaction score
Problem: Phone wont turn on, at all. Completely unresponsive

Now for the lengthy story.

My original x had liberty aosp running nicely with an OC set on boot at 1200. A nice clump of pixels died randomly one day, so I called verizon for a replacement. I got my replacment refurbished X in the mail, and sbf'd to froyo, for rooted gingerbread upgrade.

I nandroid backed up my old X. I then installed liberty aosp to my new X, and then immediately restored the nandroid from the old X.

My new phone was running great for about a day, then I went and added some changes from the UOT Kitchen, and installed the app that makes the logcat the boot animation.

Again, the phone worked fine for a day or so, then while I was running google maps, it rebooted randomly.

It went through the boot logo, to recovery, so I just hit reboot. It went all through the boot animation, then back to the boot logo, then back through the boot animation.

I made it back to the home screen, then left it alone. After a while it rebooted again on its own. Sometimes the screen would black out, and be completely unresponsive. I pulled the battery, then put it back in, and it wouldn't turn on.

Sometimes, it would take the battery being out for 5 minutes for the phone to accept it, and turn on.

Now, just repeat the two previous paragraphs a few times, and you will get what happened to me.

After a while, I just restored my old working nandroid from the old X. It too had the same problem. I figured it might be my OC, so I set the settings back to stock. Same thing still..

I was then going to wipe data, and install liberty aosp again. The phone was in the recovery menu, so I went to mount usb storage, plugged it in to the computer, and nothing happened.

So, I unmounted usb storage, and hit reboot. The phone booted to the bootloader menu. I unplugged the computer, then tried to power off the phone, but the power button didn't work. So I pulled the battery......

Now the phone wont turn on at all. The battery was at a 70 percent charge at the final time it worked.

Once, I got the phone to boot to the bootloader menu, but once I got my sbf ready to go, the bootloader menu had frozen. Phone was unresponsive to inserting usb, and the sbf program didn't read my phone as being connected.

Again, im now back to a for real bricked phone, that when I hold the power button, it wont turn on. I did leave the phone plugged in, and later today, im going to try using a friends battery...

My dilemma, is now I can't send the phone back for another replacement, for fear it will work at the shop, and they will see my rootedness, then charge me for a new phone, even though im 99% percent sure nothing I did caused this crap.

Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The OC might have fried the CPU. It's supposed to have protections against that, but it's a refurb, so there might be something wrong with said protections.

On the other hand, VZW's refurbs totally stink. The company they use to refurb phones returns terrible products all the time. My headphone jack in my phone is dying (randomly starts playing through the phone speaker instead of the headphone jack) and I'm looking to bluetooth audio options to remedy the problem instead of sending the phone in because I'm afraid of whatever piece of junk I'm going to get back. So you might have just received a lemon.

Do everything you can to get it back to stock. And never, ever, ever, restore a nandroid from a different phone. Ever. It might work, sometimes, but you never know what phone-specific stuff is buried in there somewhere that might royally screw something up. Better safe than sorry.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
I know, I just figured same model, and same operating base. And I read around online where plenty of people have done it with no ill effects... now I just want to get it to the bootloader menu, but again, the only response I can't get from my phone, is my led will blink green when I plug it in... other than that, its a complete brick.

Reaction score
Hold the button combo to get into the bootloader then plug it into the USB. It may be going into bootloader mode without any indication. If that's the case, and RSD sees it and starts an SBF, you're good to go.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Im at work till 6pm or so today, ill try that later.. your saying it may be working, but with just a black screen?

Because it does seem to be a total paperweight right now.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Well, i just tried powering up, and its turning on now.. if it starts, I need to tibu everything, then Im going to sbf asap.... hopefully......

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Back on the refurb X. I got it going, backuped apps through tibu, now to sbf and do things one step at a time.... But I will use it until it dies again.... But this phone runs warm in the back, right above the speaker...

Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
That's where the CPU is. It might be severely overheating and shutting itself down for a certain amount of time to protect itself. It could be doing exactly what it was designed to do, in that case.

I would strongly recommend SBFing it and reinstalling everything without trying to use the nandroid backup. It'll set all of your clocks and voltages to stock. After that I wouldn't recommend trying to overclock.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm at stock voltages now... Well, that's the chance I took with a refurb.. Fml

Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
I've seen stories on these forums of people setting voltages and clocks back to stock, and the phone still being overclocked anyway. I don't know what it is, but those things can get messed up in the phone somewhere you don't really know about.

If your phone crashes again, I wouldn't think twice. SBF.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Im planning on sbf as soon as I get home, or I may just stop by, let it sbf, and get back on the road (im a cop, makes that part easy)

Btw its running at around 110°f
Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
110? Are you doing anything on it, or is it that hot just sitting there?

Mine's at 84. It's just been sitting here on my desk for the past several minutes at least.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Its charging in car charger, and im on tapatalk and using dolphin hd to browse android central... I have to admit its not the best signal here... The 3g is super slow.... And the typing with swype is slow and laggy
Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
The transceiver in your phone automatically powers up and down based on signal strength. When it's powered up (weak signal) it'll get pretty warm if you're using it with any frequency. Check the phone's temp. after it's been sitting around for a while.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Its cooled off now. Was in my pocket for a meeting

Sent from my DROIDX