Need a new touch screen keyboard! Help!

tranquilo

Reaction score
It's not out until March 21st but have a look at ThickButtons:

thickbuttons (dot)com

showell81

Reaction score
Not sure how much I like Swype, yet. Very very cool feature though. I will play with it for awhile.
I also have fat fingers, a little bit, and can type fine on an ipod touch. The real problem though, I think is that unfortunately apple's touch screen is just more accurate so far. That's my thought.

I personally am not a big fan of the hardware keyboard on the droid, but I can type faster there than on the virtual.

RyanRacer48

Reaction score
Usually the hardware keyboard was a good workaround for those of us w/ bigger hands.

Unfortunately they made the hardware keyboard small enough for my 4 year old to use.

I also agree the touch screens accuracy is only fair for what technology it is.

qwopzxnm

Reaction score
Thanks man, I really like swype other than it doesn't use capitalization on your first word, but it's only a one button push :)

You don't even need to hit the button to capitalize, just start on your first letter, swipe up above the keyboard and it will capitalize that first letter for you. Then you just continue to swype the rest of the word and the remaining letters will be lowercase.

Last edited:

qwopzxnm

Reaction score
Not sure how much I like Swype, yet. Very very cool feature though. I will play with it for awhile.
I also have fat fingers, a little bit, and can type fine on an ipod touch. The real problem though, I think is that unfortunately apple's touch screen is just more accurate so far. That's my thought.

Just give it some time and definitely go through all the built in tutorials. I have fat fingers as well and although it took me a while, once you learn Swype you'll love it.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Is Swype an application in the Market? I can't seem to find it.
No, it's not meant for the Droid to be distributed.

Download Swype for Android Beta | Android Central

Thanks man, I really like swype other than it doesn't use capitalization on your first word, but it's only a one button push :)

Swype DOES capitalize. Touch the letter you want to capitalize, then drag your finger above the keyboard for a half second or so, then drag back down to your next letter. Takes a few tries to get used to it, but just like everything else in Swype, you do get used to it pretty fast.

z944

Reaction score
I also had a problem with the "fat fingers" issue. Turning the phone sideways did not help UNTIL I TURNED ON the setting to allow for the change in orientation.Home screen.."Settings" app. then "sound and display"... then scroll down to "orientation" and check the box to "switch orientation automatically" The orientation was already switching automatically before this EXCEPT for the touch keyboard when texting. After checking this box, the touch keypad was much bigger (turned sideways) and my fat fingers are now happy.

ChefZiggy

Reaction score

To capitalize the first letter drag your finger above the keyboard and back down. Does caps quite nicely. Swype is the best thing I have found for text input.

Alster2005

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I am so out dated I just had a normal phone with regular buttons! I downloaded Big Buttons Keyboard. It has helped me a lot, but going from a phone with real buttons to a touch screen will still take some practice!