Any Handwriting Recognition Apps?

rokky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Asus PadFone X
Anything available like Palm's Graffiti or Windows Mobile's Letter Recognizer, which I am familiar with? This finger/thumboarding "interface" is very uncomfortable for me, and much harder to use accurately due to fat-fingering (unless I can use a stylus as I do with my Nokia N810, but that does not seem to register).

I have to hold the Eris just so (very fatiguing for a carpal tunnel-afflicted hand - my thumb starts going numb in short order), and watch constantly for the inevitable misses, and hope I don't hit the general back or menu hotspots on the bottom of the screen (why didn't they make the lit-up legend items touch sensitive instead of making the user guesstimate where to touch just above them, which impinges on the visual work area? Is that a flaw of my particular phone?).

Also, I just found out another limitation in that it seems to require actual skin contact - does not work with gloves on (not even the icon and control buttons, never mind the keyboard).

TIA

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, I just found out another limitation in that it seems to require actual skin contact - does not work with gloves on (not even the icon and control buttons, never mind the keyboard).
It doesn't have to be skin. It's a capacitive touch screen and you'd need compatible accessories. They already make suitable gloves for the iPod/iPhone/etc.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think the keyboard app "Swype" will work on the Eris, but there may be something similar to it out there.

OP
rokky

rokky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Asus PadFone X
Dunno, but not really interested in finding out since it is bulkier, and costs more. But it is about moot with these keyboard annoyances, and incompatibility of my existing mono bluetooth headsets for music (deaf in 1 ear, so no need for stereo), which taken together mean I would need a special stylus (if even that would work, and if available), special gloves, special headset, and now the real dealbreaker: PDAnet and proxoid are not compatible with my work Win XP VPN connection for tethering. So, it is back to my XV6800 and Nokia N810 until Android/Verizon get it right.

Interesting parallel: I started dabbling with Linux in the mid-90's (floppy install sets, kernel compiling - the whole bit), but it was not ready for replacing OS/2, then Windoze on the desktop until the last few years (for personal use; no choice for work). I guess Android will have a similar genesis of "growing up" to replace WinMo for serious smartphone use after all the ooh/aahh toys get sorted out. I hope it does not take as long as with the PC platform.

Thanks for trying to help, y'all.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey! Maybe someone can port over something from a Newton ....

Just kidding. :icon_evil:

indigo42

Reaction score
It seems there are quite a few styli for the iPhone that will work on the Droid.

Is there any decent letter recognizer app for Droid. I'm a Windoze mobile power user. I take copious notes at meetings on my phone using the letter recognizer with a stylus. I can do it very quickly. I cannot keep up with a dinky keyboard or one stuck up on the screen.

I would like to get a Droid and free myself from the fetters of Redmond. Has anyone used/found one?

indigo42

Reaction score
Thanks!
My Droid is arriving later today. I'll check them out and post what I think of them!

I can't wait to ditch my 6900, although it's been a pretty decent phone to me all these years.