Is there better "Physical Keyboard" software available???

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Explain predictive text and where can one find it. I am only looking for an improvement to the physical keyboard as Swype does a wonderful job with the virtual keyboard.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Explain predictive text and where can one find it. I am only looking for an improvement to the physical keyboard as Swype does a wonderful job with the virtual keyboard.
I have been totally misunderstood.

I am asking how can I improve the physical keyboard on my Droid Phone? When I hit a key on the Droid, quite often I will "fat finger" hit other keys at the same time. The Droid keyboard does not isolate the intended key (letter) as well as the Treo did. For some reason (this is why I make the software comment) the Treo let's you be more accurate while typing.

I am assuming that this can't be improved.

it sounds like what you're asking for is predictive text while using the physical keyboard. a thread was posted on that here some time ago so it can be done. maybe try searching for it?
That's what I suggested...Predictive text via installign the HTC software keyboard will predict the text you type even if you don't type them in correctly.

Predictive text predicts what text your trying to type. If I type out "pridctve" it will list what words it thinks I'm trying to type and will most likely highlight "predict" as the most likely word, if it's not it'll give out other options. From what I've read so far this is likely the solution to your FAT FINGERS consistently hitting the wrong key, with predictive text software it won't matter what you type (of course it has to be somewhat recognizable) because the software will predict/correct it for you.

The thread is Here.

Only downside is that it'll replace your virtual keyboard as well, but the virtual keyboard is also better than the stock keyboard IMO.

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
it sounds like what you're asking for is predictive text while using the physical keyboard. a thread was posted on that here some time ago so it can be done. maybe try searching for it?
That's what I suggested...Predictive text via installign the HTC software keyboard will predict the text you type even if you don't type them in correctly.

Predictive text predicts what text your trying to type. If I type out "pridctve" it will list what words it thinks I'm trying to type and will most likely highlight "predict" as the most likely word, if it's not it'll give out other options. From what I've read so far this is likely the solution to your FAT FINGERS consistently hitting the wrong key, with predictive text software it won't matter what you type (of course it has to be somewhat recognizable) because the software will predict/correct it for you.

The thread is Here.

Only downside is that it'll replace your virtual keyboard as well, but the virtual keyboard is also better than the stock keyboard IMO.

That's what I thought. This is different and fine, but not what I'm looking for.

If you have ever tried to hit the "h" key and you get a "g" or "j" also and then have to erase the extra unwanted keypress. If you have a Treo, this doesn't happen very often due to the design of the keyboard software.

Again, I assume this is not available as it has been very difficult for me to describe it.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I sort of get what you mean, but wouldn't predictive text still solve this problem? I still think you should give it a try.
So are you physically only hitting the h key but are getting both g and h? or are you always hitting the surrounding keys to the point where what you're typing isn't recognizable?

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Correct. The keys are small and I am hitting more that one. The Treo know's with very good accuracy which key receives the greatest pressure therefore almost deadoning the surrounding keys (my assumption). It works! I miss it! I spend a lot of time removing "miss keys".

I have begun using Swype and am almost sorry that I have the physical KB now.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct. The keys are small and I am hitting more that one. The Treo know's with very good accuracy which key receives the greatest pressure therefore almost deadoning the surrounding keys (my assumption). It works! I miss it! I spend a lot of time removing "miss keys".

I have begun using Swype and am almost sorry that I have the physical KB now.
Ok now I understand, in that case I don't think there is something like that available for the droid, but I still think you should try out the predictive text HTC keyboard I think itmight help. Its worth a shot. And kinds agreed with swype although I do wish the punctuation is improved and typing regular was improved. Still love having the option of a physical keyboard though.