Nandroid Restore Failed

mr.inter

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a nandroid backup of my stock GB rom (4.5.608) as I was going to install CM7. I was disappointed of CM7 as it generated a lot of FCs. I SBF'd and installed stock GB again, and installed 4.5.608. I tried to restore the nandroid backup from CWM and it failed at the last step, showing that an error was encountered while formatting /system. What could the problem be? Could it be a corrupted backup?

Edit: I took another backup today and went to restore it immediately after and it still told me that it could not format /system. What's wrong with my phone?

Last edited:
OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
I even tried formatting /system via ADB while in CWM but still unsuccessful :frown:

czervick212

Reaction score
This probably isnt the response you're looking for but I was in the same boat but I totally botched the flash (didn't wipe system) but yeah so I got all stuck up and the recovery wasn't working out so I ended up having to sbf and restore everything with titanium. After going back through EVERYTHING and updating all the way back to gb, I rebootstrapped and still couldnt flash the recovery, so hopefully you aren't in the same boat as me, but I hope you're prepared for the worst my friend. :/

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
You cannot “flash the recovery” on the D2G due to the locked bootloader, are you sure you didn't mean something else?

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
This probably isnt the response you're looking for but I was in the same boat but I totally botched the flash (didn't wipe system) but yeah so I got all stuck up and the recovery wasn't working out so I ended up having to sbf and restore everything with titanium. After going back through EVERYTHING and updating all the way back to gb, I rebootstrapped and still couldnt flash the recovery, so hopefully you aren't in the same boat as me, but I hope you're prepared for the worst my friend. :/

What do you mean by prepare for the worst? For the fact that I can't restore a nandroid backup? I can successfully enter in stock recovery or CWM recovery but can't restore any backup due to the formatting system error.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Dont use the D2G recovery in Rom Manager, use the DX (2nd-init) one instead. There's something wrong with the d2g one (and koush knows but hasnt fixed it....) and it tries to format a non-existing partition.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
You mean the Droid X Recovery that exists on the market? And then I use Clockworkmod normally after bootstrapping?

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Or the recovery image which you select and download from ROM manager? I thought that you were talking about the bootstrapper.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Ok I tried taking a backup with Droid X (2nd-init) recovery and it successfully restored. I would like to ask the last thing, is a backup taken with D2G recovery fully equivalent with one taken with DX recovery? I had failed to restore a stock backup taken with D2G recovery even on Boot Manager installed on CM7.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly what it was but I believe something related to the system partition. When trying to restore backups in CWM it kept saying that an error was encountered while formatting /system, but it worked when I restored with DX recovery image.