Quick question about Nandroid Backups and Restoring

Reaction score
Right now I am on P3Droid's .596 rooted and Deodexed GB. If I make a Nandroid backup and go to CM7 then decide to go back to what I currently have, can I just go in and restore the whole system?

OP
wrightperspective
Reaction score
I am guessing that my question is just very stupid or nobody wants to tell me.

josh.zechman

Reaction score
Yes when you make a nandroid of P3droid you are running and you restore it...you will have all the data back with it. Just make sure you wipe first before flashing CM7 and when going back to your nandroid backup.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
umm, I don't think you can do that.

CM7 is based on the FroYo kernel, and in order to restore a Nandroid backup, you have to already be on the same kernel as the backup.

To switch to CM7, you have to SBF back to .340 and flash it. In order to come back from CM7 to GB, you have to install the rooted GB files before you can restore your backup.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
I hope someone is still listening to this...

Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile, necessary, etc. to factory reset prior to pulling in a nandroid? I've made several but I've never needed to use one until now...

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Doing a factory reset will not work if you are going to flash one of your backups. Once you get into your recovery, you will need to wipe data and cache. This erases all the programming from the previous ROM. That will prevent errors in your new ROM. Then you flash the new ROM onto your phone and you will be ready to go.

This post is Incredible 2!

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
actually in my case, I found that I'd gotten myself in a bootloop. Here is the thing:

I'm rooted but stock, with V6 supercharger and so on.
I was messing around with trying to get rid of that damn facebook app (so I did a TiBU) and then "uninstalled"
Entries for the thing were showing up in my market downloads list... I wanted them gone like before...
So I then cleared market cache and data and then did an "uninstall updates".

Before market reverted I looked and saw it was still there... so I restored the facebook app and removed it again and
redid the operations on market from before. I then rebooted.

When it came up, it looped while spelling out "droid", so I applied my latest nandroid w/o wiping cache, data.

While this allowed the phone to come up, it seems that it did not think several of my apps (that had been moved to SD) were installed.
While I'm back up to where I was, I was wondering if in my case, a data wipe etc. should have been done prior to nandroid restore.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
No because when you restore a backup all of the apps and settings you had are restored. If you want a completely clean backup you will need your phone running properly, do a factory reset, then backup your current setup.

Now with that said, if you just want a backup with certain apps not on it you can delete the unwanted apps then do your backup. Next time you restore the apps wont be there.

I think that is what you are looking for. If not, let me know.

This post is Incredible 2!

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll give it a try at some point this weekend. Right now, I just need the phone to work for the time being (which it seems to be doing). The only issue I've got with it at this point is the stupid market saying that the twitter and facebook apps are "not installed". Damn right they aren't installed... I took them out. But I put the nandroid I had from a month back (prior to the updates for them which PUT them into the market download list in the first place). I had expected these entries to be gone but they are still there.