My Droid Turbo is Broken and I just want my Photos!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey Fox what is "Desilvered chip" ? I've been working in the electronics industry for 28 years (working with PCB) and this is the first time I've heard the term. When I google it nothing comes up . Did Tapatalk and your phone auto correct some word. Are you talking about solder fractures to the BGA's ?
Desilvered / Desoldered. It's an autocorrect thing. Sorry, I'll edit. Still, ironically it's actually a more accurate description since Silver is the main component in solder now that Lead is eliminated as a poisonous heavy metal.

And yes, solder fractures either to the Ball Grid Array connections (if the chips in these phones use that type of mounting), or to other more typical surface mount chips or other interconnection components. But yes either way I'm talking about solder fractures, and also trace fractures, either or which could be intermittent and with heat and expansion could break electrical connection causing the rebooting.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hate lead free solder... It's a pain to work with compared to leaded solder..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I hate lead free solder... It's a pain to work with compared to leaded solder..
True. It just doesn't flow anywhere near as nicely, flux doesn't seem to help much either, it's more about heat. It is definitely harder to break, so that's a good thing for surface mount components.

OP
B

belial

Reaction score
Okay so the guy who posted about the samsung screen cracked: Screen cracked need to recover very important data

This guy's phone says on. My pictures are there, they will even load a few up, the problem isn't corrupt media, it's that the phone just keeps booting over and over.

I will try the freezer method tomorrow (right now my fridge is on the fritz, it got chocked up with ice between freezer/fridge so I'm defrosting it now).

If that doesn't work, I will open up the phone and make sure the heatsinks and connections are all in place.

If that doesn't work, I will call Cell Phone Technicians as plugged by mountainbikermark...

Thanks guys, this is useful stuff. Will get back to you on this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay so the guy who posted about the samsung screen cracked: Screen cracked need to recover very important data

This guy's phone says on. My pictures are there, they will even load a few up, the problem isn't corrupt media, it's that the phone just keeps booting over and over.

I will try the freezer method tomorrow (right now my fridge is on the fritz, it got chocked up with ice between freezer/fridge so I'm defrosting it now).

If that doesn't work, I will open up the phone and make sure the heatsinks and connections are all in place.

If that doesn't work, I will call Cell Phone Technicians as plugged by mountainbikermark...

I'm hoping that the freeze will do the trick and you can recover those photos. I know how empty it can feel when you think you've lost something that's irreplaceable. I've worked with others who had encryption and then subsequent hardware failure render their files unrecoverable as well. I'm hoping your situation is more fruitful.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
True. It just doesn't flow anywhere near as nicely, flux doesn't seem to help much either, it's more about heat. It is definitely harder to break, so that's a good thing for surface mount components.

Actually in my experience.. You're far better off using a specialized paste for surface mount.. There are several that heat like leaded solder and will hold through all sorts of outlandish temps..

Lead free solder was a big issue in the ps3 yellow light of death.. Gamers would overheat their units by not allowing air to move around the unit(entertainment centers) and after they'd shut em off.. They never work again until you retouch the chip.
Also if you do a lot of sm stuff...depending on the station that one uses. There are some awesome surface mount tips/setups..

I only usually do that stuff when I repair stuff or when I make push pull pots for guitars..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Actually in my experience.. You're far better off using a specialized paste for surface mount.. There are several that heat like leaded solder and will hold through all sorts of outlandish temps..

Lead free solder was a big issue in the ps3 yellow light of death.. Gamers would overheat their units by not allowing air to move around the unit(entertainment centers) and after they'd shut em off.. They never work again until you retouch the chip.
Also if you do a lot of sm stuff...depending on the station that one uses. There are some awesome surface mount tips/setups..

I only usually do that stuff when I repair stuff or when I make push pull pots for guitars..
Yes, actually I sometimes use solder paste even for regular electronics repair. Still, there's nothing like the control you get with wire solder. But coming from a step father who was a plumber, I like to make my solder connections a bit on the heavy side. When done they envelope the connection.

I know that it makes no difference for electrical connections but he used to make his Oxy-Acetylene sweat connections on pipe look like artistic welds, with a pronounced bead above the joint and polish them afterwards. He said he did that so the inspectors would never question the quality of his work. One thing is for sure, my wires never break loose from the terminals... Neither did his pipe connections.

michael.anderson007

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7

Hello, Belial! I'm curious if you have retrieved the lost pictures in the way that a few friends have provided. In particular, FoxKat said that placing the phone in the freezer is really amazing.

In addition, for mobile phones that do not support memory cards, such as Droid Turbo, Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S6, once the data is missed, the user will lose seriously. The common data recovery tool can't recognize phone's internal memory at all, let alone recover the lost files. Some people say that professional Android data recovery tools, such as SoftHow, can recover lost data from the internal storage of Android devices. However, once the phone fails to boot, the Android data recovery tool can't help you restore any lost files. Thus it is very important to backup important files from the mobile phone to the cloud servers or local computers.