Does Droid Turbo support .mp4 video files?

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
I have my videos backed up on PC from my previous iphone and they are in .mp4 format. But when I go to transfer them to my Turbo it says that the file may not be able to play if transferred. I transfer it anyway, hoping it would play, but when I go to play it on the phone, it doesn't work. Does it not support mp4 format? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Do I have to drop the videos in a separate folder? Because I drop the folders in bulk with pics and videos together - pics transfer fine but not videos.

If anyone could help me out in this that would be great.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Per the spec sheet:

Supported video formats: H.263, H.264 AVC, H.265, MPEG-4 SP, VP8

Just did a test run and uploaded an MP4 video and it played just fine using MX Player.

OP
V

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
How did you upload the videos? Did you drop them in a certain folder?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
How did you upload the videos? Did you drop them in a certain folder?

I uploaded the video using Wifi Explorer into my download folder. I just moved it to my picture folder and it played just fine too. What video player are you using???

OP
V

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
I am not sure actually... I just go into one of my pic apps (Photos, QuickPic, Gallery) and click on the video but it wont play.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Download MX Player from the Playstore. It will prompt you to download any additional codecs that you will need.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Vplayer also plays everything including video streams like asx files which mx player can't open.

OP
V

Valik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Turbo
Sweet that worked. I am able to watch the videos on MX player now. Thank You for that.

Only thing that's annoying is that deleting videos/pictures from one photo/video app causes them to be deleted from other apps.. why is that? The thumbnails for videos show up under MX player but not in photo apps, so I wanted to delete them under photo apps because they're just black thumbnails, but doing so deletes them everywhere. I don't understand why I cant delete a video/photo from one app and keep it in the other. Is there any way around this?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's a bit peculiar and I have seen it, where the images or videos stay in the phone but show up as black thumbnails in the Gallery. I've also seen where the images remain as thumbnails even after the images are deleted or moved.

I wonder if simply clearing the cache in Gallery would fix that. If the images are showing in Gallery and you delete them, they will delete wherever they are on the internal SD Card. Gallery is not a folder, so much as it's a way to "see" multiple folders at once, so you're not actually looking at the "Gallery", you're looking at a graphical representation of the images stored in various folders on the SD Card. When you delete in the Gallery, you're actually deleting the physical file in the folder that Gallery is showing you the representation of. Perhaps thinking of Gallery as a pair of glasses that lets you see multiple folders/files on the SD Card is a better way of understanding why deleting there deletes elsewhere.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sweet that worked. I am able to watch the videos on MX player now. Thank You for that.

Only thing that's annoying is that deleting videos/pictures from one photo/video app causes them to be deleted from other apps.. why is that? The thumbnails for videos show up under MX player but not in photo apps, so I wanted to delete them under photo apps because they're just black thumbnails, but doing so deletes them everywhere. I don't understand why I cant delete a video/photo from one app and keep it in the other. Is there any way around this?

See this thread and explanation for a better understanding - (creating folders in photo gallery Android Forum at DroidForums.net Gallery is essentially "watching" for pics and videos that may show up in your SD Card in ANY folders, and then adds those folders and images as "views" in Gallery. Folder with no pic or video, no show in Gallery...add a pic or video, suddenly it's in Gallery. This may be easier for everyone to grasp.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I haven't tried one, but I bought BSPlayer years ago because it plays all formats. At least, I've never found a format it will not play.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Something to keep in mind is that .mp4 is just a container, and that the actual video file inside that container could have been created using a number of different codecs. Some codecs are compatible with certain devices while other codecs are not compatible with certain devices. It's up the OEM to support different types of codecs. That's why some .mp4 files will play just fine and others won't.

Think of .mp4 as a box that holds the actual video information inside. The boxes for various videos might look the same with a .mp4 file extension, but inside they can be very different. Players like MX Player support more codecs than most stock players do, so you'll be able to play many more videos with them.