My droid has died

lennywc

Reaction score
My droid went blank while taking a photo. It won't boot beyond the flashing screen. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do other than exchanging it? Is there some kind of system reset? I am typing this on my iPhone. Good thing I kept it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
did you pull the battery out and reinsert yet?

if not do that..that will reset it.

if that doesn't solve your issue I would exchange it out.

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
Of course I did that. That is first thing one does. Well I guess no one has any Other ideas? Well it's back to verizon with it. I honestly do not know if I am going to replace it with another. I am a bit disgusted with a computer built in 2009 that does not have a real copy/ paste function. I will know what to do when I get there. I also have to say that the apps available for the droid are absolutely awful , I am guessing ( based on my expierence) that only about 50 put of the 10000 available are of the decent quality. Of course that not a device problem.

Randomocity

Reaction score
Of course I did that. That is first thing one does. Well I guess no one has any Other ideas? Well it's back to verizon with it. I honestly do not know if I am going to replace it with another. I am a bit disgusted with a computer built in 2009 that does not have a real copy/ paste function. I will know what to do when I get there. I also have to say that the apps available for the droid are absolutely awful , I am guessing ( based on my expierence) that only about 50 put of the 10000 available are of the decent quality. Of course that not a device problem.
First, I dont know where you're getting your info from, the Droid comes with full copy and paste functionality. Use the FAQs on the forums if you dont already know how to do as such. You can also go into the recovery menu to do a hard reset. Search the forums for that too.

I find your statements to be somewhat uneducated as there are many, many useful apps on the market, certainly more per crap app than the iphone.

Remember, on this phone 90% of the problems most people encounter are user error. There are certain times where the phone is bad, but you get that with 1st gen technology. Please treat others with respect as we're only trying to help you out.

Good luck with your droid.

mjs31

Reaction score
First, I dont know where you're getting your info from, the Droid comes with full copy and paste functionality. Use the FAQs on the forums if you dont already know how to do as such. You can also go into the recovery menu to do a hard reset. Search the forums for that too.

I find your statements to be somewhat uneducated as there are many, many useful apps on the market, certainly more per crap app than the iphone.

Remember, on this phone 90% of the problems most people encounter are user error. There are certain times where the phone is bad, but you get that with 1st gen technology. Please treat others with respect as we're only trying to help you out.

Good luck with your droid.

This person has done nothing but complain. One has to wonder his real motives any way. No need to keep feeding him...

windstrings

Reaction score
This person has done nothing but complain. One has to wonder his real motives any way. No need to keep feeding him...

There is indeed a learning curve with the droid.. especially with no manual in the box.

I've never had an Iphone but based on what i"ve read, its similar to a mac verses an ibm based computer.

If you want things predone for you and easy to use, the iphone may be your ticket.

If you want full tweak-abilities and unlimited abilities then get the droid.

The droid is more like a computer in the sense it will do anything you can get software for.

I"m guessing trust may be shattered if it died and that makes it easy to look for an excuse to change camps.

Nothing wrong with changing camps.. just realize thousands of other people are delighted and you prob just got a freak bad phone and another will be great.

This is newer stuff than the iphone, but because of that its a bit more like beta quality on some of the apps, but if your patient, I believe youll have far greater limits in the future.

With this OS being open source, there is almost no limit to what app you may find that does whatever.... proximity sensors etc??

I wanted to take mine back too about two days after I got it.. I think I was overwhelmed... especially with no manual.... but give yourself time... thats hard to do if your a "want it now" kinda person.

But at least with a droid you won't learn it and be bored one week later looking for another cool toy because of its ability to grow.
And Google is no slouch.... they are always pulling rabbits out of the hat and breaking the norm.... I"m excited at the possibilities in the future too.

You may not have the tolerance to fool with it..... it messing with a computer is a hair pulling experience, then you want the Iphone.
If you love tweaking, then give yourself a chance.

Last edited:

AFMDroid

Reaction score
Here's how to Hard Reset your Droid (from Hard Reset Motorola Droid )

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.
2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons downuntil a yellow triangle appers.
3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).
4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
Thank you for the reset instructions . Did not help though.
Brought back the droid and got another. This one is operating so much better than the one I returned . The one I returned tried all my patience. Evidently the phone had severe problems and I thought that it was the software. Best thing that happened was it becoming a brick. The new phone is faster and predictable. Sorry to piss some of you off , but when you pay as much as we did for this phone I expect more from it. I am happy with the phone now. But ...... There is still no real copy paste function. The save text function is hardly equivalent to copy paste. Sure you have copy in input fields but if I want to copy text in a web page, well the select text function will not allow you to take more than one screen of text at a time , no scrolling for more. This is unacceptable. Someone wrote and told me I do not know what I am talking about, that there is a copy paste function, please tell me how to access it. I will be in your debt. I would like to be wrong about this. Really I would.
Again thanks for the input and the help.

dean.collins

Reaction score
yep i agree the copy and paste is poor when compared to winmo etc/.

hopefully motorola will fix this in the future.

eg on my htc device i can pretty much select any text anywhere then hold to bring up alternate menu and select copy.

with the droid you can only select huge amounts of text and the shift select function only works in certain fields.

windstrings

Reaction score
explain where you are at when you don't have the copy paste function.... I've never noticed an issue yet.

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
Go to any web page with text that you have scroll down to read, more than a screenfull that is. Then try to copy all that text with a sinlgle select text selection.

windstrings

Reaction score
Go to any web page with text that you have scroll down to read, more than a screenfull that is. Then try to copy all that text with a sinlgle select text selection.

Ah yes.. I didn't know you were talking about the browser!

I hear pocketfox is in the works..... with bookmark sync between your mobile, home and office firefox.....

sounds like unless this stock browser wants to become obsolete, they better get with the program.