Droid 1 died. What should I buy to replace?

thehirsches

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been trying to keep my Droid 1 alive and kicking until the Droid 3 comes out, but today it pretty much went belly up. (Battery completely died, so tried a new one and with it plugged in. It boots to the Motorola screen, then I see a Project Elite symbol for a quick second, then crash back to black. Rinse, repeat.)

So, based on this it looks like its time to take the old horse out back and shoot it, then move on.

The question is to what. Is the Thunderbolt the unit to get? I like the keyboard of the Droid, but can live without it. I like voice and data at the same time. (big complaint with Droid.) I can live with the battery issue as I've survived with my dying Droid being connected to a plug for most of the day to keep it going. Sounds like my mind is made up, but it's not. If something else works, I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Eschy

Reaction score
try booting into recovery and see if it will stay on. If it doesn't something may have happened to the software on the phone when it died (not sure if thats possible but who knows). If recovery works, try flashing a new rom. If it wont stay in revovery without dying or shutting off then go with the thunderbolt, only problem is that its $250 plus the additional cost of having 4g service and its a single core processor (albeit its still blazing fast), and there really arent any up to date phones besides the TB being offered at verizon atm. Most of their phones were released about 6 months ago. But the TB is a sweet phone and I would definitely enjoy having it, I personally though would rather have a dual core phone just because that is the most current hardware.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're eligible for upgrade then I can understand giving up on the D1 but if you aren't you're going to pay a lot of money for that new phone.

Have you tried to SBF back to stock on the D1?

I'm just trying to save you some money. If you're intent upon getting a new phone, TB is a great phone, it's going to be very customizable. But right now it's a huge battery hog. Yes, I know all smart phones are but 4G is what sucks up the battery.

Next, are you in a 4G area? I put a sticky in the Thunderbolt area where you can run your zip code to find out.

The Bionic will have dual processors but it will also have a locked down bootloader. Perfect for me but if you want to root that may not be the phone for you.