Brand new battery, how should I go about charging?

tu3218

Reaction score
So I just bought a new droid 1 battery and would like to know about the first cycle of charges. My thought was too always charge it all the way up an then the first time just let it die, then charge back up again. Now I know these batteries don't have memory but is that still a good thing to do?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just pop it in and go. no need to deplete it or anything.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My thought was too always charge it all the way up an then the first time just let it die, then charge back up again. Now I know these batteries don't have memory but is that still a good thing to do?
It's Li ion. There's no need.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
There is no need to worry about the lithium ion battery developing memory, but you do need to consider the phone's ability to "understand" the upper and lower limits of the battery's power outputs. The phone has software which pegs the full and empty states (based on the battery voltage I think) to show a proper charge/% remaining.

Those of us who are rooted are able to easily clear the battstats in the phone, and cycle the battery to get things proper. Not sure the exact steps if you are not rooted, but I would certainly suggest at least a full charge/discharge cycle or two with a new battery sometime shortly after purchase. And after having experienced this effect with one of my older batteries, I would also suggest doing so at some reasonable for you time interval.

Craig