My Drizzy Droid gotta virus.. i think

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, unless there is a bug with the ROM itself (or a shady ROM) then you'd have to give the app root privileges. I'm not an expert on this topic, but I would say yes, root privileges are opening the crown jewels to the app.

rcjames

Reaction score
Is this true even for a phone with root privileges?

I think I know the answer

if you give an app root privlege then yes it could then install what ever it wanted?

so again trust the source?

but you would have to give the specific app root privilege right?

Dude if you're rooted, ur on administrator priviledge. Anyways people are right that linux is safe, but could get virus but luckily linux is safer because you're not logged into root. Everything you do that need administrator priviledge wont run until until you give the admin/root password. People that is rooted is on administrator. Think of running window xp in administrator account. Holy **** easier to get virus like that. I run on limited account unless if i need to install a program then i go administrator account and install and then switch over to limited. our phone are logged into limited account just as linux. Rooting is basically running super user.

Linux is safer but anything can get a virus, even on limited but to be safe its better to be logged on a limited account, alot of linux distribution when you install it to a pc you will give a password for root, and password to login, once login everything that need admin password will ask for root password. Imagin a linux pc logged into root all the time? Not good but many linux now on is on limited account instead on superuser. Why? To make it safe.

Yes i think there is virus on this guy phone. It's doing things and trying to unlock. Oh man i wouldn't be suprise if he has a virus. Sure theres people writing virus for android operating system. Why do people think theres no virus? There are virus for linux too, hackers are hackers
and hacking is a hobby for most of them. I fly model airplanes i'm always tweaking it its my hobby same goes to computers. But from all things android os is not worth to hack, if someone want to hack it would be windows, the biggiest share. 95 percent of pc will be running windows.

harrellj

Reaction score
It is very difficult to figure out how to crack the nut that is Linux/Android for virus writers. As far as I know: no known viruses on Android.

The only malware I've heard of:
1)fake bank app that stole users' passwords
2)wallpaper that sent some personal info to the dev, but turns out it may have been an honest mistake on the dev's part

Just watch those privileges when installing apps! If they want access to the SD card, internet, or contacts then you need to trust the app maker. If installing ROMs and apps, trust your source!

There's also some app out there that once installed will send text messages to premium services, but it requires installation outside of the market and is again a wallpaper app or something like that that doesn't need SMS access to begin with.

For anyone worried about a virus on their phone, don't forget that when you install an app, you are prompted for the permissions it is requesting and you have to agree to those before the install happens. IE, if a simple wallpaper app wants access to everything, you might wanna think twice about installing it.

rcjames

Reaction score
It is very difficult to figure out how to crack the nut that is Linux/Android for virus writers. As far as I know: no known viruses on Android.

The only malware I've heard of:
1)fake bank app that stole users' passwords
2)wallpaper that sent some personal info to the dev, but turns out it may have been an honest mistake on the dev's part

Just watch those privileges when installing apps! If they want access to the SD card, internet, or contacts then you need to trust the app maker. If installing ROMs and apps, trust your source!

There's also some app out there that once installed will send text messages to premium services, but it requires installation outside of the market and is again a wallpaper app or something like that that doesn't need SMS access to begin with.

We have to be careful what we install. Our droids is a mini portible computers. Or atleast think in that way. It's dangerous installing something that we haven't heard much about. Some app can steal
you're information and do crazy things. Watch out what you downloads. Well this goes for everyone out there.

Aquaflame14

Reaction score
my phone is currently having the same issue i've hard reset my phone like 7 times in the past few days and im getting fed up doing it. ive had my phone since launch and verizon refuses to do anything because my screen is cracked they said my only options are get a replacement through my insurance or buy a new droid which are all out of stock (except the droid 2 but its a piece of crap) does anyone know how to temporarily fix my phone for like a week or so, so i can buy the droid x or hold off for the fascinate?

rcjames

Reaction score
my phone is currently having the same issue i've hard reset my phone like 7 times in the past few days and im getting fed up doing it. ive had my phone since launch and verizon refuses to do anything because my screen is cracked they said my only options are get a replacement through my insurance or buy a new droid which are all out of stock (except the droid 2 but its a piece of crap) does anyone know how to temporarily fix my phone for like a week or so, so i can buy the droid x or hold off for the fascinate?

Wow, cracked screen. How about selling the phone in ebay and with the bit of money buy a droid x, did you baught this phone retail price? Or are you on contract? If you go and pay what ever fee it is for them to replace it do it, they'll give you almost a new cell. Check my pm ok. I'm pm'ing u.

Aquaflame14

Reaction score
also since about Thursday when this started happening my back and search buttons became unresponsive and the edge along my screen doesnt work so unlocking my phone has become a major hassle

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's a virus so antivirus probably won't help. Try rebooting in safe mode. So you've tried a factory reset?

Aquaflame14

Reaction score
im aware its not a virus i know a phone no matter how much of a tiny computer it is cant get a virus i just wanna know if anyone can help and rcjames i literally just made this account to ask this question you mind filling the noob in on how to check a private message?

rcjames

Reaction score
im aware its not a virus i know a phone no matter how much of a tiny computer it is cant get a virus i just wanna know if anyone can help and rcjames i literally just made this account to ask this question you mind filling the noob in on how to check a private message?

With all the respect, i'm a Computer Tech and a server administrator (Win/Linux). Yes theres some android virus right now. I know how to message in private, i also own a forum. Be nice next time. :)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

You're in a thread about viruses on Android.

Aquaflame14

Reaction score
You're in a thread about viruses on Android.[/QUOTE]

I'm also in a thread were a man call his phone the Drizzy Droid ... whats your point? I just looked around for a scenario that fit mine and figured someone had the answer

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually forgot about who started this thread. OK, so your phone does it even when not connected to the charger? You've done a factory reset? So even with no apps on the phone, it starts acting funky? Does the crack in the screen have anything to do with when it started acting funky?