Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

iron man unit 007

Reaction score
I ended up unrooting and taking my phone back to Verizon. The guy there was trying to convince me that it was a virus that was causing the problem. I guess viruses are immune to a complete system wipe? Atleast I have my beloved droid working again<3

Well this morning on break at work I called Verizon on my work line since my Droid is a bit too spastic to risk making calls at the moment. She was very nice and knowledgable. According to her, Verizon has not heard of this issue so I pointed them to this site and this thread. They still haven't heard of this, but I suspect they are now going to do some research.

My options at present are go to a Verizon store for a reflash of firmware 2.0.1. (she doesn't known when 2.1 is coming I was hoping to go to that as a possible fix). The other option is to exchange for another Droid.

I'm going for the reflash as that seems the simplest method and from what I hear it seems to work. As to it being a virus....I am skeptical of that. My Droid's WiFi is off 99.9% of the time and I only used the Bluetooth functions to test Microsoft SYNC, otherwise BT is off. I have only ever downloaded about 5 applications, all 4 or 5 star rated and the phone never freaked out after they were installed, so I'm understandably skeptical that I have a virus especially on a Linux OS based phone. Granted its not impossible, but I am still dubious.

So we shall see what the reflash does, hopefully they can also run a hardware diagnostic on the phone at the store to ensure there are no hardware problems.

Overall though this sounds like a bug in the OS, not a virus. Flipping the phone screen stops it for a minute then it resumes, flipping the screen again will stop it for a bit and then it can resume. Going to Airplane mode doesn't help, nor does a battery reboot and SD card removal and reconnection.

So something in the hardware has malfunctioned or its a software glitch.

powercrunch

Reaction score
I think there was a way to reflash it yourself at home too. I probably should have tried that... That's okay. I wish the best of luck to you. I hope Verizon and Moto fix this issue if it's really this bad, because it's going to get really annoying to keep going back and having to get another new phone.

iron man unit 007

Reaction score
I think there was a way to reflash it yourself at home too. I probably should have tried that... That's okay. I wish the best of luck to you. I hope Verizon and Moto fix this issue if it's really this bad, because it's going to get really annoying to keep going back and having to get another new phone.

Well I checked around online and found the Master Reset steps for the Droid. They are:

1. Turn the Droid off.
2. Open the keyboard and hold X and the power button until a yellow triangle appears on screen.
3. Release X+power and hold volume and camera. Some options will appear.
4. Use the D-pad on the keyboard to select.
5. The Droid quickly wipes and reboots and goes through the whole activation process.

WARNING: Master Reset wipes all custom apps, contacts, USB card, etc. You use this at your OWN risk.

So the Reset and reprogram worked great.....until it came back online and I was trying to input my gmail id/password to restore my contacts and the Droid IMMEDIATELY began flipping out on me with the same problem. After getting the contacts back and checking the menus the Droid again acted with a mind of its own and started accessing programs and made phone calls on its own. Now it sits, powered down pending a visit to the Verizon store where it won't be reflashed, it will be REPLACED. Either the 2.0.1 firmware has some form of time delayed bug that has now activated or there is a serious hardware problem...

.......or the DROID's are indeed coming to life. The Verizon rep I spoke with had a nice laugh when I said that, and while I did laugh with her I did emphasize that this problem makes the Droid look like it IS coming to life on its own.

About the only thing this phone has NOT done on it's own is transform into a robot armed with a laser...........

powercrunch

Reaction score

Well I checked around online and found the Master Reset steps for the Droid. They are:

1. Turn the Droid off.
2. Open the keyboard and hold X and the power button until a yellow triangle appears on screen.
5. The Droid quickly wipes and reboots and goes through the whole activation process.

WARNING: Master Reset wipes all custom apps, contacts, USB card, etc. You use this at your OWN risk.

So the Reset and reprogram worked great.....until it came back online and I was trying to input my gmail id/password to restore my contacts and the Droid IMMEDIATELY began flipping out on me with the same problem. After getting the contacts back and checking the menus the Droid again acted with a mind of its own and started accessing programs and made phone calls on its own. Now it sits, powered down pending a visit to the Verizon store where it won't be reflashed, it will be REPLACED. Either the 2.0.1 firmware has some form of time delayed bug that has now activated or there is a serious hardware problem...

.......or the DROID's are indeed coming to life. The Verizon rep I spoke with had a nice laugh when I said that, and while I did laugh with her I did emphasize that this problem makes the Droid look like it IS coming to life on its own.

About the only thing this phone has NOT done on it's own is transform into a robot armed with a laser...........

That's some really discomforting news. I guess if it happens again there's no choice but to go and get a new phone. Maybe Moto or someone else will come up with an answer for this mystery.

iron man unit 007

Reaction score

1. Turn the Droid off.

That's some really discomforting news. I guess if it happens again there's no choice but to go and get a new phone. Maybe Moto or someone else will come up with an answer for this mystery.

Well we shall see. Luckily the Verizon store staff know me so I dont foresee any exchange issues. At least my Droid hasn't flashed up the Decepticon insignia yet......wait.....uh oh..... :motdroidvert: :icon_eek:

jeffe65

Reaction score
Wish I had visited this forum a few weeks ago. I had started using a generic AC charger, only because the cord was longer and made it more convenient. Phone started acting strangely; I called Verizon and they had me do the *228 routine, and it worked. Okay, but that didn't make sense...unless SkyNet is at work constantly in my phone, it shouldn't need that just to keep from scrolling randomly, and opening apps just by looking at them.

Anyway, it works for a while until three days ago when it went totally haywire; now every time I open it the camera starts and I can't do anything else, except receive calls. Tomorrow I get a new phone, but could have avoided this just by using the charger with the USB that plugs into the AC charging block. :icon_ nono2:

Last edited:

iron man unit 007

Reaction score
Wish I had visited this forum a few weeks ago. I had started using a generic AC charger, only because the cord was longer and made it more convenient. Phone started acting strangely; I called Verizon and they had me do the *228 routine, and it worked. Okay, but that didn't make sense...unless SkyNet is at work constantly in my phone, it shouldn't need that just to keep from scrolling randomly, and opening apps just by looking at them.

Anyway, it works for a while until three days ago when it went totally haywire; now every time I open it the camera starts and I can't do anything else, except receive calls. Tomorrow I get a new phone, but could have avoided this just by using the charger with the USB that plugs into the AC charging block. :icon_ nono2:

Presuiming it is the generic charger's doing. Also can you clarify the *228 method please?

powercrunch

Reaction score

Wait *228? Explain this more in detail if you don't mind.

jeffe65

Reaction score
Verizon has a number you call to update roaming and some "programming". You just dial *228 and it will tell you what to do. It should ask you to press "1" to program, and "2" to update roaming; the guy from Verizon said they'll both do the same thing anymore. In the past it's been helpful to keep up with the local network changes as they add towers, etc.; I didn't expect it to have much effect on my Droid's behavior, and was surprised that it did. I tried it again recently, but no change.

iron man unit 007

Reaction score
Verizon has a number you call to update roaming and some "programming". You just dial *228 and it will tell you what to do. It should ask you to press "1" to program, and "2" to update roaming; the guy from Verizon said they'll both do the same thing anymore. In the past it's been helpful to keep up with the local network changes as they add towers, etc.; I didn't expect it to have much effect on my Droid's behavior, and was surprised that it did. I tried it again recently, but no change.

Thanks for the info!

Well I tried a second master reset last night and this time my Droid wouldn't even reprogram and it STILL was freaking out on the activation menus. The store clerk I spoke with today was quite knowledgeable and helpful and he was surprised at how twitchy the Droid was behaving, and he couldn't get it to reprogram either.

So after chatting for a few minutes and comparing notes, I walked out with a shiny new Droid. Same USB card as my old one and same battery but I don't think those were the culprits. He's convinced the software got scrambled, but I'm leaning towards hardware/software combination. In any event it goes back to Motorola for dissection and analysis and 5 minutes after I left the store my new Droid was setup the same as my original.

I am monitoring it though with extreme care, to see if it flips out like my last one did. If it does, then I'd say Motorola has a problem on their hands. The clerk doesn't think it was the charger either. :motdroidvert::motdroidhoriz::)

chrissaid

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I had the same issues as all of you and took it to a Verizon store. The tech there suggested a master reset.

While there, my girlfriend was also having issues with her phone. They wanted to replace it, but had none in stock. So we took it to another store.

while waiting for them to program her replacement blackberry, I started talking to them about the Droid issues (the crazy whacky typing by itself, radnom app opens). A tech came out and played with it and his suggestion was that it was "anti-virus" applications. it was conflicting with anti-virus software that was already programmed in google's os.

anyway, he replaced my droid, since one of the buttons on the actual phone stopped working. and it's been working fine since then.

another thought i had came from reading this forum. maybe it is static electricity or a power surge. as mentioned my girlfriend's blackberry went wonky the same exact day mine did. we had plugged both of our phones into chargers and the next day, blammo. crazy phones!

not sure if any of this information helps.

iron man unit 007

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I had the same issues as all of you and took it to a Verizon store. The tech there suggested a master reset.

While there, my girlfriend was also having issues with her phone. They wanted to replace it, but had none in stock. So we took it to another store.

while waiting for them to program her replacement blackberry, I started talking to them about the Droid issues (the crazy whacky typing by itself, radnom app opens). A tech came out and played with it and his suggestion was that it was "anti-virus" applications. it was conflicting with anti-virus software that was already programmed in google's os.

anyway, he replaced my droid, since one of the buttons on the actual phone stopped working. and it's been working fine since then.

another thought i had came from reading this forum. maybe it is static electricity or a power surge. as mentioned my girlfriend's blackberry went wonky the same exact day mine did. we had plugged both of our phones into chargers and the next day, blammo. crazy phones!

not sure if any of this information helps.

Let's just say that I disagree with the "Antivirus" theory. However, I am more inclined towards the power surge theory given that both a Droid and Blackberry freaked out at the same time. Also given that mine had failed to reinstall after a 2nd Master Reset, I suspect that it was power surge damage.

We'll see. :motdroidvert::motdroidhoriz:

kristoff125

Reaction score
I think that the "Droid Does" because they build them in Gettysburg and trap the ghosts of the dead into each phone to give it extra power, although at night these spirits get bored and decide to do more than we want them to.

Or at least ship souls in little vials from Gettysburg to China where they are manufactured.