My D2G Just Completely Died.

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

Okay, so a little background on my D2G:

Running Liberty 2.0.1, flashed it with the d2g rommer (using the correct version). No problems since I did all of this about 3 weeks ago.

Just now when I slid the keyboard out and transitioned to landscape, the entire screen scrambled. I could make out my background and homescreen icons (kind of), I closed the keyboard and it returned to normal. I tried to open it again, and it happened again. This time when I closed the keyboard the jumbled screen remained... jumbled. I removed the battery to do a hard reset and now my D2G won't turn back on. Or at least the display won't turn back on. When I re-insert the battery and hold the power button, the 4 buttons on the bottom light up (and respond to being touched in that they give haptic feedback). I've noticed the screen with slightly light up and then go completely dark in about 2 second cycles.

What to do from here? Rsd/sbf? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
Update:

I hooked it up via the USB, and the computer found it. In addition, the LED is blinking like I have notifications. Also when I slide to unlock, it gives me the feedback like I unlocked it. I think the Display just died.

Seeing as I've rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM, I don't think I can just walk into VZW and say "the display is broken", for fear they'll realize I've voided my warranty by rooting and installing that custom ROM. Will VZW not issue me a new phone in this instance if I turn it in the a rooted, custom rom?

Should I SBF? I tried launching RSD Lite and it IS NOT seeing the device? I've used RSD before, with this machine and everything. The thing is I can't even see if I'm getting into the bootloader because my display is completely dead. Very strange. Advice?

xrp861

Reaction score
dont you have to power the d2g up and hold power and the up arrow for rsd to recognize it?thats the way i ahve done it the few times i did a sbf flash.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dont you have to power the d2g up and hold power and the up arrow for rsd to recognize it?thats the way i ahve done it the few times i did a sbf flash.

Edit. If you can do that stuff and the display doesn't work then you probably need to take it back to Verizon. Sometimes the display goes, it happens.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score

Yeah, I followed these instructions, I held the button and started it properly. Some of the timing of the RSD flash requires being able to see the display, which I cant. The phone is now making noises like it works, its just the display is dead.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Get it back to the original ROM, call VZW (store's don't do replacements anymore) and tell them the display is dead, they can ship you a replacement phone. The Droid 2 Global is definitely under warranty as it hasn't been out long.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score

Edit. If you can do that stuff and the display doesn't work then you probably need to take it back to Verizon. Sometimes the display goes, it happens.

Thank you for replying. My question is, will VZW tell me to go screw in light of my custom ROM and rooted situation?

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
It won't go into bootloader, I hold up on the dpad and power on, but it goes straight to my normal boot (which obviously I can't see, but I can hear the things my phone does when it turns on, and the indicator lights start going off, about notifications and such).

gsdreams

Reaction score
If you can't get it flashed back to the original rom then you risk getting charged $299. If you can get it flashed back, just don't tell them.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
If you can't get it flashed back to the original rom then you risk getting charged $299. If you can get it flashed back, just don't tell them.

This phone was a replacement sent to me less than a month ago, if I can't flash it I think I'll just take it in and play dumb if something comes up regarding the custom ROM.

"Custom ROM? What's that? Is it good? I don't know anything about phones/computers, this is what came in the box."

gsdreams

Reaction score
Bad news - You can no longer get a replacement at a store. All CLNR's are removed, or close to being removed, from the store.

You have to call in, or the store will call in, to get you a replacement. your old phone gets shipped back to a warehouse where they check it for damage, misuse, neglect, unreasonable wear and tear, etc... A custom rom is considered "misuse" and they will simply charge you $299 on your next bill.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
Bad news - You can no longer get a replacement at a store. All CLNR's are removed, or close to being removed, from the store.

You have to call in, or the store will call in, to get you a replacement. your old phone gets shipped back to a warehouse where they check it for damage, misuse, neglect, unreasonable wear and tear, etc... A custom rom is considered "misuse" and they will simply charge you $299 on your next bill.

Roger that. Well, let's assume I can't get the RSD to take (it WONT boot into bootloader, despite having done it less than 2 weeks ago, can't figure it). My phone is working (in the sense that I can access my files via the USB. What if anything can I do from this angle? Can I hide the fact it's been "misused", or break it to the point that VZW will be unaware of the misuse?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

They can't tell if you have a custom ROM installed unless the display works. Once they see the display doesn't work that will be the end of it.

gsdreams

Reaction score

They can't tell if you have a custom ROM installed unless the display works. Once they see the display doesn't work that will be the end of it.

Under the new policy I wouldn't guarantee that. They are looking for people that have caused the problems to the phone themselves. All it takes to see a custom rom is to plug it into an rom reader (whether it is a computer or a specialized piece of equipment) and look at the ROM installed. Not very hard.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score

Under the new policy I wouldn't guarantee that. They are looking for people that have caused the problems to the phone themselves. All it takes to see a custom rom is to plug it into an rom reader (whether it is a computer or a specialized piece of equipment) and look at the ROM installed. Not very hard.

That is what I was thinking as well. Hmmm. Again, any advantages in being able to access the contents of the phone (as I am able to, the computer sees the phone via usb, I just can't get RSD to see it, despite having been able to do so 2 weeks ago).