My D2G Just Completely Died.

gsdreams

Reaction score
If you haven't edited the recovery rom, and if there are pictures anywhere of the "Alternate hard reset" you could probably do that on the phone and get it back to factory state. You would just have to have pictures so you would know which buttons to push when.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
I'm manually erasing pretty much every not "legit" file on the phone, I know a simple ROM check will out me, but might as well get rid of whatever is in my power to erase right?

xrp861

Reaction score
I sent them one working i couldnt sbf due to my dead battery and no way to charge it. If it is goin thru assurion i wouldnt worry about it being all theyre going to do is put in a new display and sbf it themselves. I havent gotten a bill yet and its been almost 2 months lol.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
I sent them one working i couldnt sbf due to my dead battery and no way to charge it. If it is goin thru assurion i wouldnt worry about it being all theyre going to do is put in a new display and sbf it themselves. I havent gotten a bill yet and its been almost 2 months lol.

haha thats what I needed to hear. I'm walking over now. I'll keep everyone updated.

gsdreams

Reaction score
The policy change for VZW replacements just started on April 1st. Any phone subject to misus, abuse, neglect, unreasonable wear and tear is now subject to a $299.00 charge to the acct if VZW finds it.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is fishy because the exact same thing happened to my D2 running Liberty 1.5. I thought it was a flex cable failure, but I've been seeing more and more failures from Liberty. I'm not blaming Liberty at this point, but it's becoming more suspect.

xrp861

Reaction score
Its not thru vzw its thru assurion wich is the insurance company that provides insurance for every cell provider. I doubt they get that far into it myself. But then again i might have just been lucky everytime ive got replacements. Its all in how you talk to the person on the phone. Mainly because not everyone that works for them knows about custom roms and such.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Its not thru vzw its thru assurion wich is the insurance company that provides insurance for every cell provider. I doubt they get that far into it myself. But then again i might have just been lucky everytime ive got replacements. Its all in how you talk to the person on the phone. Mainly because not everyone that works for them knows about custom roms and such.

I work at a Vendor call center that does Technical Support. Yes, we all know about custom roms. We are also informed of the policy that custom roms void the warranty.

The new policy for VZW themselves with the $299 charge is for replacement phones through VZW. If someone goes through insurance that is different. But where he is having an issue w/ the backlight or screen with no physical damage than Asurion is going to send him to verizon for a Warranty replacement. That is there policy.

xrp861

Reaction score
He can just go thru insurance as physical damage and pay the $90. For a replacment too. Being as verizon doesnt do replacements in the store anymore its really up to the customer. Its faster shipping sometimes than from a carrier.

gsdreams

Reaction score
He would have to tell them he dropped it or something else.

And with VZW if you have TEC or Extended Warranty on your line shipping is overnight and free. If you don't, it's 5 day shipping or you can pay the $14.99 to have it overnighted.

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

First off, thanks for working through all of this with me. I appreciate how helpful everyone in this community is!

I just went to the VZW store. I get through explaining how the issue started when I put the phone into landscape mode by sliding the keyboard and all that. The guy (Steven) pops out the battery, of course I inform him I tried that "a thousand times"... the display came on. Somehow it worked? So my custom all-white bootscreen with black droid comes up, steve looks at me confused. Then he shows it to all his co-workers "damn have you guys seen this before, what's going on with this dudes phone?". Finally the Liberty bootscreen comes up, and Steve gets it. He looks up at me "hey, wait is this rooted? is this custom stuff in here?". I'm not going to lie to a man to his face. I say yes and he says that VZW would probably charge me if I tried sending it in through him. Well considering it was working I wasn't about to send it in at catch a $299 charge. I wanted to run home and RSD this thing and get the goodies off of it so I can THEN send it back.

So I leave the store, phone working. I'm walking back here, I open the keyboard to respond to a text and BOOM screen dies again. Clearly it's something with the phone being in landscape mode. So I pull the battery and it doens't come back on! I had figured perhaps because I was turning it on with the keyboard open (thus landscape) to hit the Up-arrow key to get into bootloader that was the problem, and thats what Steve did differently, he had the keyboard closed and it worked for him. But either orientation wasn't working. So I put it back in my pocked and completed the 15 minute walk back here to come post to you all.

Now, inexplicably my phone is working. I dare not open the keyboard. In both occasions the phone worked after being on and not being touched for 15 minutes (the walk there and back). It's my only explanation as to how Steve was able to get it to work, but me doing it over and over again did not. And then I eventually did get it to work after "giving up" on it so to speak and just letting it sit in my pocket.

Where to go from here? Well as I said, I want to get this bad boy back to stock, because I still think there is a hardware issue going on. I didn't change anything from a ROM or software standpoint in over 2 weeks so I don't think this was caused by software. I'm trying to think of a way to use RSD, WITHOUT opening the keyboard. That (for some reason) seems to be the root of my problem. How can I get into boot recovery without holding up-arrow? Liberty has a "recovery safe mode" setting that causes each reboot to boot into bootstrap. Would that work?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthy post!

xrp861

Reaction score
I remember being to get to that bootloader screen with vol up and down and power buttom.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
M

mcdonagh.matthew

Reaction score
Deff works just did it on my d2g.

No way!

Okay, so hold both Up and Down vol keys, and then hold the power button? And that got you into boot?

Just want to confirm before I try. Everytime I turn my phone on, I have a feeling it could be the last time I see it on. haha.