My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix)

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Wassup everyone. This is my first contribution to this forum. I've had the first Droid, Droid X, and now the Droid Bionic. I was lucky enough to get the package deal from Costco. And of course I rooted it right when I got home! =)

First off, I already had an audio/video setup for my car(ps2/dvd/hdtv tuner,reverse camera) but thought it would be cool to integrate my new phone so I could stream Netflix to all my screens. To my surprise, webtop was a welcomed side effect to my hack. Now I just need to buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. (anyone wanna donate? :p)

- First I took apart the car dock and grinded/drilled an opening so I could fit the micro hdmi cable.
- Then I docked the phone. Then aligned and plugged in the micro hdmi into the phone.
- I then epoxied the hdmi onto the case and let it dry.
- The stock power port was adjusted to match with the hdmi port and epoxied that as well.
- I put everything back together.

I wasn't planning to do a write-up of my hack but thought I would share. Here are my after thought photos. Sorry, I took some photos with the Bionic, but mostly the with my OG Droid. Btw, Doing this method on the standard home dock will also unlock the webtop.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg
10.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed!

-Keith Kim

Steeeler

Reaction score
Awesome job! I really like what you have done here. Thanks for sharing!

hacku

Reaction score
That's a nice setup. How do you launch the webtop app from the car dock?

EDIT:

Nevermind, seems like the phone does this on its own if it detects both power and an HDMI cable attached to it .

Last edited:

titos

Reaction score
Did you have an hdmi input on your car? or did you have to convert it to rca?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Artimis

Reaction score
That's very slick..........so I'm assuming that the workaround/side-effect you found is that any time the phone is connected to an HDMI cable and detects that it is docked, then WebTop is an option for launch?

Shame they did away with a magnet to trigger the docking event like they had with the original droid, d2, dx, etc. All you would need is a small magnet and an HDMI cable for WebTop.

I guess Moto probably knew this and figured they had to change the design in order to successfully squeeze you for the accessories to enable the feature.

titan253

Reaction score
Wow, i was just thinking about this today. I'd love to know more on how you hooked this up to the head unit. Is it a factory nav unit, or is it aftermarket? As was asked above, did you connect directly to HDMI or convert to another input?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Wow, that's nice! Does Google Maps/Nav play on the big screen?

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Here is an update to clarify my setup.

To answer some questions:

1. The sole purpose for this mod is for the two 9.2 inch headrest monitors. Please don't assume I will be driving around with Netflix running on my main screen. The main head unit screen can be switched between inputs and stock navigation.
2. Yes my car is old. 2003 Lexus GS 300
3. Yes, my car comes with a tape deck and also a 6 disc changer in the glove box.
3. Yes, the head unit is the factory navigation screen. I installed an rgb video converter to switch between stock navigation and other inputs. There is also a digital video/audio source switch box installed as well. The input signal is then sent to a video amplifier and distributed to the headrests and stock screen.
4. Yes, my stock head unit is touch screen, but does not work with the phone.
5. I already had a hdmi to composite converter prior to getting the Droid Bionic.
6. The extra wire you see in the photo is a 3.5mm audio cable for my fm transmitter. Since I have installed the hdmi from the phone, all the sound is routed from the hdmi cable back into the composite converter, then to the fm module, as well as the video amplifier. No need for the 3.5mm cable anymore.
7. I have had my car audio/system like this for years. All I did was integrate the phone into the setup.
8. Yes, every time I dock the phone, I can choose webtop/mirror modes.
9. Yes, I can run Google navigation on all the screens.
10. Youtube app will show on the car screens, but the phone itself goes black while playing video. TV.com app shows on the car screens, but is will not scale to fit the screens.

Here are some more photos:
1.jpg

2.jpg

1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg
4a.jpg
5a.jpg
6a.jpg

I think I answered all the questions so far. I will answer future questions asap. Thanks for looking.

-Keith Kim

Reaction score
Spectacular job! :D

Any info you could send our way of the video converter/switch box would be great.

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I already installed these parts a long time ago.

Parts:
- RGB to composite converter (unit that lets you switch stock navigation to composite inputs): [url]http://www.tvandnav2go.com/[/URL]
- HDMI to composite converter (unit that lets you convert digital(hdmi) signal to an analog(composite) signal): Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics
- Power converter - any brand (mine is a 400watt unit used to power the HDMI converter as well as my PS2)
- Multiple input video/audio signal switcher - any brand
- FM modulator - I prefer wired, not wireless. any brand
- Video distribution amplifier - recommended if you plan on hooking up more than 1 screen, but can do without by using composite y-splitters. any brand
- Ground loop isolators - any brand
- variety of 3, 2, and 1 wire composite cables.

I think that is the majority of the parts used in order to work on the factory navigation system.

Other parts in my setup not necessary:
- Playstation 2
- prototype automotive HDTV converter box (pixelated when the car is in motion, recently removed)
- Divx media player (300gig hard drive) (was used previously with hdmi to composite converter)
- rear view camera (auto switches video feed with the RGB converter when in reverse)
- 2x 9.2 inch headrest monitors
- 1800 watt amp
- 2x 12 inch subs

If I didn't install all those parts way back then, I personally would think twice about spending money on all these audio/video stuff. Things add up quickly. Since I already had everything, it was a simple plug-in for me. dancedroid