My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix)

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
You beat me to this great mod. I currently have a car pc setup in my 300 that I will be converting to Android when I get my Bionic. I will be hooking it up to a 7in HDMI touchscreen monitor. I was looking at using one of the HDMI docks but like your car dock mod. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if I can get the usb touch screen to work. Does any one know if a usb touchscreen will be reconized using the 99 dollor multimedia dock. Anyway great mod and keep us posted.

It would be sweet if you got it to work with your touch screen. Hope you can figure it out! On a side note, I hope Pioneer comes out with a head unit like the one they have for i*hones. Link : http://pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
对车载播放机有分辨率要求么

可以定做几个卖给我吗,呵呵

Sorry, I do not sell any of these parts needed for the conversion. Most stereo shops should have the majority of the parts needed except for the 2 converters. They should also be able to install them to replicate my setup. As for resolution, the HDMI to composite converts to 480i. My car screens are 16:9 so it stretches the signal to fill the screen. Hope this helps.

Translated in Google translator to Chinese:

對不起,我不賣任何轉換所需要的這些部件。大多數音響店應該有除2轉換器所需要的零件大部分。他們也應該能夠安裝它們複製我的設置。決議,複合轉換為 480i的HDMI。我的車屏幕是16:9,所以它綿延填滿整個屏幕的信號。希望這有助於。

By the way, I'm not Chinese.

lanza_david

Reaction score
Sorry, I do not sell any of these parts needed for the conversion. Most stereo shops should have the majority of the parts needed except for the 2 converters. They should also be able to install them to replicate my setup. As for resolution, the HDMI to composite converts to 480i. My car screens are 16:9 so it stretches the signal to fill the screen. Hope this helps.

Translated in Google translator to Chinese:

對不起,我不賣任何轉換所需要的這些部件。大多數音響店應該有除2轉換器所需要的零件大部分。他們也應該能夠安裝它們複製我的設置。決議,複合轉換為 480i的HDMI。我的車屏幕是16:9,所以它綿延填滿整個屏幕的信號。希望這有助於。

By the way, I'm not Chinese.

Also, the terms of droidforums.net require that all posts are in english

deek

Reaction score
Link to HDMI to composite converter:Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics

You can find it cheaper on Ebay.

If you have an aftermarket headunit, there should be inputs for both video and audio cables. If you are installing it on a stock head unit, you can use a composite to 3.5mm audio cable and plug into the AUX port. If you don't have an AUX, you have to install an FM modulator.

Aftermarket head unit. In-dash DVD screen, but the CD/DVD player part no longer works because it has had its fair share of use. Just figured if I had a converter, I could use my hdmi cable for my phone into the audio/video and I can display video on my screen.

dnasty88

Reaction score
Youre using that converter off of amazon? When I use the same exact one in my Infiniti, I get a very grainy image with my Bionic. Any ideas!?

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Youre using that converter off of amazon? When I use the same exact one in my Infiniti, I get a very grainy image with my Bionic. Any ideas!?

A couple of things you might try.

1. Make sure your converter wires (audio and video) are not installed on the same side as the cars' positive wire.
2. The composite wires that come with the converter is junk in my opinion. I suggest using a different cable.
3. Try a different grounding point for the negative wire on the converter.
4. The convertor itself might be defective. Try connecting your converter to a house tv. Connect your phone and see if it is still grainy. As for me, When I first got the converter, there were distorted horizontal lines across the screen, but after 10 mins, it went away. These converters are cheap. Also, we've all be accustomed to hi-def. Since this mod is returning to old technology, we can't expect the quality to be great.
5. Find out the resolution of your stock navigation screen. This might also be the cause. As for me, the resolution on my headrest monitors are better that the stock head unit.

Very nicely done. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Thx.

LuciferDR

Reaction score
Cool setup, now all we need to do is enable remote touch like this guy did.
[video=youtube;633Kn4XkmJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=633Kn4XkmJA&feature=feedu[/video]

I wonder if this setup will work with your car dock hack instead of using the mulimedia dock? in theory it should. The dock is a good way to mount, but dont have anywhere to put it. I was thinking on the dash, but the sun will probably cook the phone.

mannab79

Reaction score
Still having issues, looking for some help

Myself and my friend have been trying to set this up in my car but we are failing. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem or can help us diagnose it.

I connect the phone via HDMI to the converter suggested (Amazon) and from there to the AV inputs in my car. It pops up asking me if I want to mirror and I say yes. At that point I only see a few random lines that flicker but absolutely no image off the phone. I then tested in my apartment on TV and couldn't even get that far. As soon as I connected the HDMI cable, Motorola Docking Service turns and on and off rapidly and eventually crashes.

Any and all suggestions welcome because this is frustrating! =P

revelated

Reaction score
Cool setup, now all we need to do is enable remote touch like this guy did.
[video=youtube;633Kn4XkmJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=633Kn4XkmJA&feature=feedu[/video]

I wonder if this setup will work with your car dock hack instead of using the mulimedia dock? in theory it should. The dock is a good way to mount, but dont have anywhere to put it. I was thinking on the dash, but the sun will probably cook the phone.

While that looks conceptually nice, I just don't see the point when you could embed a 7" Galaxy Tab and do the same thing, better. Or if it's the 4G that's appealing to people, a Motorola Xoom should fit the bill nicely and with less overall investment. In fact I've thought about adding a 4G tablet to my various gadgets for the purpose of car installation, but I just can't justify the level of time investment needed to get it done, plus for some reason it just doesn't seem to work with a Nissan Altima for some odd reason.

LuciferDR

Reaction score
While that looks conceptually nice, I just don't see the point when you could embed a 7" Galaxy Tab and do the same thing, better. Or if it's the 4G that's appealing to people, a Motorola Xoom should fit the bill nicely and with less overall investment. In fact I've thought about adding a 4G tablet to my various gadgets for the purpose of car installation, but I just can't justify the level of time investment needed to get it done, plus for some reason it just doesn't seem to work with a Nissan Altima for some odd reason.

I have thought of a tablet before, but not really keen to spend days fabricating my dash if you know what I mean. With this system looks like you can fit a touchscreen + LCD with very minimal fabrication. The cool thing about this system is if you change you Android phone your in car system will change also.. so you would only need to download apps on one device :)

I read up that this thing can actually mesh in with your existing factory touchscreen and monitor, so you can actually toggle between your phone and you factory system. You then can use the touchscreen for both the phone and factory system. Now.. I'd like to see a tablet that can do that!

ral7792

Reaction score
Details, please!

Okay so I am very new at this. I have the droid bionic, a pioneer nav stereo (no dock) that has input for AV and USB. I bought a switch to convert hdmi to AV. I plan to go in through glove box to plug AV and leave switch in glove box. NOW...I think all I have to do is power the switch? How do I do that?? Help a noob!

MadBlackLady

Reaction score
I have thought of a tablet before, but not really keen to spend days fabricating my dash if you know what I mean. With this system looks like you can fit a touchscreen + LCD with very minimal fabrication. The cool thing about this system is if you change you Android phone your in car system will change also.. so you would only need to download apps on one device :)

I read up that this thing can actually mesh in with your existing factory touchscreen and monitor, so you can actually toggle between your phone and you factory system. You then can use the touchscreen for both the phone and factory system. Now.. I'd like to see a tablet that can do that!

Touche

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums