My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix)

mikespe

Reaction score
Dude! That is the COOLEST "hack" I've ever seen! And quite "simple" too! Great thinking!

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
That's very slick..........so I'm assuming that the workaround/side-effect you found is that any time the phone is connected to an HDMI cable and detects that it is docked, then WebTop is an option for launch?

Shame they did away with a magnet to trigger the docking event like they had with the original droid, d2, dx, etc. All you would need is a small magnet and an HDMI cable for WebTop.

I guess Moto probably knew this and figured they had to change the design in order to successfully squeeze you for the accessories to enable the feature.

Yes. You nailed it. No magnets in either standard dock or car dock. Once the dock circuitry (car or standard dock) and hdmi connects to the phone, the pulldown menu will allow you to switch mirror/webtop modes. $99 bucks for the media dock?! No thank you!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Dude this is freakin' awesome...any idea on how I can do this to my 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Navigation System...

lanza_david

Reaction score
可以定做几个卖给我吗,呵呵

Google Translate: Several can be customized to sell me, Oh

Then he wrote: 对车载播放机有分辨率要求么

Google Translate: Resolution of the board have asked what player

I guess he wants to buy one, and he is wondering about resolution.

devildriver6

Reaction score
Okay, I get what's going on here, I just don't know what the mini HDMI cord is hooked to on the circuitry (not super smart...lol)

And what is the cost?

deek

Reaction score
General question: Do they make an hdmi to a/v adapter?? I am sure they do in other ways, but my head unit only has a/v input.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jnot2

Reaction score
You beat me to this great mod. I currently have a car pc setup in my 300 that I will be converting to Android when I get my Bionic. I will be hooking it up to a 7in HDMI touchscreen monitor. I was looking at using one of the HDMI docks but like your car dock mod. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if I can get the usb touch screen to work. Does any one know if a usb touchscreen will be reconized using the 99 dollor multimedia dock. Anyway great mod and keep us posted.

Snow02

Reaction score
You beat me to this great mod. I currently have a car pc setup in my 300 that I will be converting to Android when I get my Bionic. I will be hooking it up to a 7in HDMI touchscreen monitor. I was looking at using one of the HDMI docks but like your car dock mod. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if I can get the usb touch screen to work. Does any one know if a usb touchscreen will be reconized using the 99 dollor multimedia dock. Anyway great mod and keep us posted.

It should be, if the touchscreen emulates mouse input.

mycamel

Reaction score
Hi there. My Camel here. Just finishing my eval of the Bionic and i guess i'll keep it (had to give up my Blackberry Storm). I hope i made the right decision. still a bit shy about the battery life issues. i'm sure i'll figure it all out.

I just wanted to comment as to how cool this mod is. i think you've hit on the right idea. now i'm going to look into this idea for my Toshiba Thrive Tab. Quite honestly i hadn't even considered the idea.

Great job!

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
General question: Do they make an hdmi to a/v adapter?? I am sure they do in other ways, but my head unit only has a/v input.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Okay, I get what's going on here, I just don't know what the mini HDMI cord is hooked to on the circuitry (not super smart...lol)

And what is the cost?

Link to HDMI to composite converter:Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics

You can find it cheaper on Ebay.

If you have an aftermarket headunit, there should be inputs for both video and audio cables. If you are installing it on a stock head unit, you can use a composite to 3.5mm audio cable and plug into the AUX port. If you don't have an AUX, you have to install an FM modulator.