Standard home dock to webtop hack

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Wassup everyone. This my second contribution to this forum. I just posted about how I added an hdmi cable to my car dock so I can stream videos through my car tv screens. While I completing the hack, I found out that it added the webtop function as well. So, I figured I might try on the standard dock to see it it also worked. All the functions work correctly. If you are interested in making it a permanent modification, you can use the directions for my cardock mod. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ut-car-audio-video-webtop-mirror-netflix.htmlhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ut-car-audio-video-webtop-mirror-netflix.html

Sorry, I didn't grind/drill/epoxy to make it permanent only because I don't need the webtop feature at home. I just wanted to show you guys in case anyone was interested. =)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

I hope this was helpful.

-Keith Kim

xmguy

Reaction score
VERY COOL! I have the Standard Dock. I wonder if the phone senses a change in resistor voltage to tell it if the phone if it can offer the Webtop. I just wish there was a on phone work around. I guess there will be at some point.

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Have you noticed, when you connect the dock to your computer with the phone in place, it will not allow you to get into usb mode? The phone senses by the circuitry that it is docked and blocks usb mode. The phone has to read that it is in either car/standard dock, plus the connection of the hdmi cable, in order to turn the webtop feature on. I read on XDA that they were trying to do a software mod to enable webtop like the Atrix, but not successful as of yet.

xmguy

Reaction score
Have you noticed, when you connect the dock to your computer with the phone in place, it will not allow you to get into usb mode? The phone senses by the circuitry that it is docked and blocks usb mode. The phone has to read that it is in either car/standard dock, plus the connection of the hdmi cable, in order to turn the webtop feature on. I read on XDA that they were trying to do a software mod to enable webtop like the Atrix, but not successful as of yet.

It could still "read" a voltage change in the ground lead. Or have a separate "sensing" wire that has different voltage values on each dock. This is how XM Radio's work. I know. I had a mod one time that simply by having 2 different value resistors on a switch to the ground lead between the dock (home or car) the unit could be tricked to offer car dock only functions. I assume the Bionic could work the same. The docks do have Audio out via Digital to analog. My guess is it DOES communicate at some level on the USB port. But as far as docking location, that's probably simpler..

On that note I wish a pure digital to digital TOS-Link connection could be built. The USB already decodes FROM digital to analog. This is beyond my skill level. Anyone?

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
It could still "read" a voltage change in the ground lead. Or have a separate "sensing" wire that has different voltage values on each dock. This is how XM Radio's work. I know. I had a mod one time that simply by having 2 different value resistors on a switch to the ground lead between the dock (home or car) the unit could be tricked to offer car dock only functions. I assume the Bionic could work the same. The docks do have Audio out via Digital to analog. My guess is it DOES communicate at some level on the USB port. But as far as docking location, that's probably simpler..

On that note I wish a pure digital to digital TOS-Link connection could be built. The USB already decodes FROM digital to analog. This is beyond my skill level. Anyone?

Yes, it might have to do with voltage. The reason that I suggested that it has to do with circuitry is because the webtop can still be enabled even without a power source plugged into the usb on either docks. Maybe the phone itself powers the circuit board and alters the voltage. Either way, it works. :D

xmguy

Reaction score
Yes, it might have to do with voltage. The reason that I suggested that it has to do with circuitry is because the webtop can still be enabled even without a power source plugged into the usb on either docks. Maybe the phone itself powers the circuit board and alters the voltage. Either way, it works. :D

I'm just wanting to find a hack or mod to enable the webtop app without plugging into any dock and only using HDMI.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

RedRaider81

Reaction score
Where is the $30 adapter?

Will that $30 adapter fire off webtop?

This thing - Set Your Location

On Motorola's site is says "Coming Soon" and no Verizon store that I've called knows when they're getting any in...it obviously just has this circuitry encased in the smaller case with both micro plugs. I'm just going to take the circuit out and make my own case. If you want to get REALLY creative it wouldn't be all too hard to do this and attach it to a portable touch display to make a "tablet dock". I just don't have the funds or I'd be done with it...

****CORRECTION: SO I WENT TO THE VZW STORE TONIGHT TO PICK UP THE STANDARD DOCK TO MOD, AND SURE ENOUGH THEY (FINALLY) HAD THE $30 WEBTOP ADAPTERS IN STOCK.*******

Last edited:

Bfirebird101

Reaction score
Im not sure if this will help anybody with this thread, but buy JRummy16s new app "App Manager", go to the "frozen" apps section of the app and unfreeze the only frozen app on the phone "webtop connector". Tell me if this allows anybody to do anything further!

xmguy

Reaction score
Im not sure if this will help anybody with this thread, but buy JRummy16s new app "App Manager", go to the "frozen" apps section of the app and unfreeze the only frozen app on the phone "webtop connector". Tell me if this allows anybody to do anything further!

Doesnt work. Tried it. Will not launch.