Music Player freezing phone after 2.2

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
I have the full mixzing app. I love it no problems with 2.2. I use isyncer with my mac and itunes. I have never used the native audio player. Mixzing does it all.

ARod

Reaction score
That's exactly what happens to me also when using pandora I hope they fix that problem quick cus I use my music frequently.

devandevlin

Reaction score
music freezes during playback

My problem is most like the ones reported by grave train.......... Verry disapointed in froyo 2.3 unlike grave train however, I decided to wait when my phone prompted me to upgrade and clicked later........when I woke up in the morning my phone went behind my back and updated itself....grrrr..... oh btw lost root too........not real happy with froyo......wish I knew how to go back to 2.1.......I came to android from a berry storm....price of crap. But it was easy to install different os on it......I don't understand all the comand line stuff ......wow sorry for the rant but I was getting very. Angry today when my music was jumping and skipping

drumandvocal

Reaction score
Same, same, same-

Having same problems (a couple of different variations but generally the same)- I've tried everything; the latest thing that seems to have cleared this up (I've been having to remove the battery at least twice a day) is to unmount the SD card before removing, then re-insert...no pausing or freezing yet... :) (new Droid 2 purchased with Froyo 2.2)

DragonFly1316

Reaction score
DroidX freezes during music playback after 2.2 installed

I too am having the same issues as everyone else. Music stutters/static...then phone freezes and only way to unfreeze is to do a battery pull :( ... LOVE my DroidX and was ecstatic when the 2.2 update finally came out , but I am so disappointed with all the bugs it came with, although I do have faith that with enough complaints... it will soon be fixed. Until then I will miss my music, too much of a hastle to pull battery all the time. Someone also had stated the texting problems... it is constantly autocorrecting to something else for no reason... the other day I was telling someone that they had emails.... well the text ended up saying they had "snails" instead, although I got a little chuckle out of it, it gets pretty annoying. I can see if the word was mispelled, but email to snail???? lol ...and on some web pages when entering text into a box, sometimes it doesn't show what I am typing and when I hit the back button to go back to the page, sometimes the text is there and sometimes it is still blank... boohoo

devandevlin

Reaction score
re music player freezes durring playback

called Verizon today to complain about this problem......he recomended that I move everything I have on my sd card to my pc format sd card then move everything back.......havnt tried it yet but I figured I would pass it on.....also I am having problems on the facebook website.....once I log in the page doesn't want to scroll......also bluetooth connectivity problems wich I forgot to mention to the Verizon tech....lol......guess I was too pissed about the music to remember

jep0617

Reaction score
Froyo has taken my droid x from the perfectly fine condition it was in with 2.1 to a state that has so many bugs that I almost returned the phone 3 weeks after buying.
This music player issue also happens to me and crashes the phone... lags... skips and stutters anytime I stop/start tracks, and a whole slew of other issues. Even the autocorrect and text input ability isn't as good. As much as I love droid, if this isn't all resolved in the very near future, ill be shopping for another brand.
Please forgive any typos as the text lags/freezes, autocorrects to wrong words after I've already types 3 more, and hides text input on most webpages so that I can only see the last line or so of text. Sometimes I can't see text at all and have to hit back and try to reset the input, but that usually just leads to more frustrations and super slow typing speeds.

And many.... many.... other issues both minor and major. I now have a droid (my son uses it) and a droid x both on froyo. Both with same issues. Both freezing/rebooting now. Joy.

No reason to stop listening to your music. If you download MixZing from the market (free), you can use that to listen to music and it works fine. You can even set it to be the default player so it doesn't try to use the native player.

mdutch

Reaction score
Same here.

Hypothesis:
I believe issue is processor getting overloaded. If left alone, does your phone recover? Mine did today after music player was interrupted by phone call, then phone froze on phone-call screen. I was running late and didn't have time to reboot it, so stuck it in my pocket. An hour later, the phone seemed fine, with no reboot. So, perhaps the issue is too many threads vying for phone resources.

Notes:
First time I experienced "freeze" was the same day I did the 2.2 upgrade. I had nav going with music. Displayed the strange "Landscape in Portrait Mode" music screen and halted. I waited ten minutes, then finally removed the battery for a cold boot. Now it seems to happens every couple of days since then, and I rarely (if ever) use nav or the sats during any particular power-on session.

Also spent some time stripping out any unneeded apps. No improvement with phone performance.

About three weeks after ver 2.2 upgrade I had a new phenom -- music stopping and starting, like a processor overload. AHA! I opened applications and stopped them, till I hit Google Maps service, and suddenly the phone started running normally again. Until three hours later when it froze completely, LOL. :icon_eek:

milkman76

Reaction score
In my case, the CPU does not seem to be overloaded. This freezing during media playback happens without regard to running processes, available memory, or how recently the SD card has been formatted. Ive tried every suggestion I see posted here to no avail.
I even wiped my phone and restored factory settings 5 days ago because, for no apparent reason, I could no longer hear any sound when making/receiving phone calls. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with verizon troubleshooting that before we gave up and wiped.
After the wipe, there is no difference in the issues Ive written of.

Every single day now, I pop my battery at least 2-3 times. When I get up in the morning, I walk to work. I play music on the media player while I walk, but every single morning the phone freezes during this time. If it will eventually un-freeze, thats great... but when my commute is only 20 minutes long, I would like to have my music and phone operable. Ive waited 5 minutes, but always wind up pulling the battery. I notice the freezing usually happens if I change the orientation of the phone during playback. Also switching tracks usually causes skipping and freezing.

And no- using other media players does not resolve the issue. I tried that months ago.

Every day and every week that passes while my very expensive phone is partially broken brings me closer to choosing to no longer do business with google/droid. Ive spent a lot of my time and energy promoting these great phones and extolling their virtues, so now Im starting to feel like I was wrong in doing so. If I dont see an improvement soon, I will not be purchasing another android phone when my contract runs out. I demand stability at the very least.

meta

Reaction score
I tried MixZing

My wife's Droid X was freezing when she would use the stock Music app. I had transferred the tracks using DoubleTwist, a technique that has worked for my HTC Incredible. The staff at Verizon told her that the problem might be the format of the music (come on, its in MP3 and AIFF format, hardly exotic). There could, I suppose, be headers attached to the files, but I doubt that they would make a difference. Verizon staff told her that the phone would need to be wiped. We installed MixZing and set Advanced Task Killer(ATK) to, I think, "aggressive" level. Prior to setting autokill to "aggressive," she would open ATK and there would be approximately 15 apps running, no kidding.

So far, we have had two tracks play uninterrupted using MixZing, a feat previously impossible. I have my fingers crossed.

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
My wife's Droid X was freezing when she would use the stock Music app. I had transferred the tracks using DoubleTwist, a technique that has worked for my HTC Incredible. The staff at Verizon told her that the problem might be the format of the music (come on, its in MP3 and AIFF format, hardly exotic). There could, I suppose, be headers attached to the files, but I doubt that they would make a difference. Verizon staff told her that the phone would need to be wiped. We installed MixZing and set Advanced Task Killer(ATK) to, I think, "aggressive" level. Prior to setting autokill to "aggressive," she would open ATK and there would be approximately 15 apps running, no kidding.

So far, we have had two tracks play uninterrupted using MixZing, a feat previously impossible. I have my fingers crossed.

I rooted my x last week, wish I had done it sooner. Anyway I removed adk from information I got from another android forum. Adk was causing issues, now my x is running great no mixzing issues at all. Very happy.

rharv3

Reaction score
How do you root this thing? I think my problems would be solved if I can get these factory apps off my phone. Particularly VZ Navigator!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
How do you root this thing? I think my problems would be solved if I can get these factory apps off my phone. Particularly VZ Navigator!

I wouldn't suggest rooting your x unless you are very comfortable with the operation of your phone. There are several threads on rooting in this forum and the "android" forum. I used the info from the android forum. It was seamless and I didn't have any issues.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

First, I seriously doubt that removing some apps is going to solve anything. If you don't use them, they will not cause harm.

Concerning rooting the X, please read a lot before you do it. The Droid turned out to be "brick proof", but the X is not. As noted often here and other places, you can brick your X by using the wrong sbf file. Just be sure you totally understand what all is involved in rooting the X.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Here's a good read about the evils of task killers:

Task Killers Per Lifehacker:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.

Why Task Killers Are (Usually) Bad News

Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.
Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.
What You Should Do Instead

That said, not all apps are created equal. Many of you have used task killers in the past and actually found that after freeing up memory, your phone works a bit better. It's more likely that this is because you've killed a bad app—one that was poorly coded, and (for example) keeps trying to connect to the internet even when it shouldn't. Any performance increase you experience is more likely because you killed the right app, not because you freed up loads of memory (or, in many cases, it's just placebo). Instead of killing all those apps, find out which ones are actually causing the problems. If you really know what you're doing, you may benefit from using a task killer to stop the one or two inefficient-but-loved apps on your phone.
Note, however, that this is still a contested notion. A lot of developers (including ROM builder extraordinaire, Cyanogen) will not even look at your bug reports if you're using a task killer. In this humble blogger's opinion, your best bet is to stay away from regular task killer usage entirely. If you absolutely have to have that one battery-killing app on your phone, though, kill away—just be aware that when you experience a recurring Android bug later on, the task killer may be at fault. Of course, you can just stop using it to determine whether that is or isn't the case.