Motorola's ICS Device Specific Update Plans Released

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, just got done playing with ICS via 13th Angel's CM9 port and it was pretty smooth. Obviously they are working out all the bugs but the swipe to remove notifications is pretty cool, the overall framework is nice, and the overall setup is definitely an improvement on GB. Once Launcher Pro becomes stable on it I may have to make a more permanent switch.

Anyway, some of you guys might find it worthwhile to check out the ICS Roms once they're more complete here in the next month or so because you'll definitely get some ICS lovin' a lot faster that way than through Carrier updates.

bigpygme

Reaction score
getting a new Sprint phone soon ...

and i guess i'll steer clear of motorola, since their support apparently suc&s. (so did samsung, for me -still using an old Moment with 2.1 eclair they never updated.) thx to the board and members for sharing their experience with motorola.

D3Gal

Reaction score
The few features listed in this thread for ICS don't seem all that compelling. Frankly, I would be happy with bug fixes for GB and a few apps. Would be nice if the phone would stay powered off, and I'd kill for an update for the builtin contacts and search apps that bring them up to 1990's blackberry functionality!

Actually, the phone not staying powered off (a problem many but not a majority of users have) could, I guess, be a bug in a popular app that has permission to prevent the phone from turning off. Sure is irritating. Maybe see what happens if I uninstall Google Maps.

bigpygme

Reaction score
now this motorola note from Extreme Tech:

"Motorola took a lot of heat from the Android community after it became clear that it was implementing encrypted and locked bootloaders. This practice goes all the way back to the Canadian Motorola Milestone (the original Droid in the US) in 2010. After saying in early 2011 that an unlock solution was coming for developers, we’re still waiting. With the locked bootloaders on Motorola phones, users are severely limited in what can be modified on the phone."

another reason for me to steer clear of motorola ... i may never unlock the bootloader, but i want to be able to.

[Mods - if this doesn't belong here, i'm sorry - feel free to move it to wherever i would belong. i'm new here.]

Michael

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
now this motorola note from Extreme Tech:

"Motorola took a lot of heat from the Android community after it became clear that it was implementing encrypted and locked bootloaders. This practice goes all the way back to the Canadian Motorola Milestone (the original Droid in the US) in 2010. After saying in early 2011 that an unlock solution was coming for developers, we’re still waiting. With the locked bootloaders on Motorola phones, users are severely limited in what can be modified on the phone."

another reason for me to steer clear of motorola ... i may never unlock the bootloader, but i want to be able to.

[Mods - if this doesn't belong here, i'm sorry - feel free to move it to wherever i would belong. i'm new here.]

Michael

I always have a problem with this. Out the box Android as an OS is very much customizable with just apps you can get from the Market. Some ppl make it like a locked bootloader kills all customization, and thats not true. How is one "severely limited" to what can be modified on the phone with a locked bootloader?